Soundbar vs HomePod stereo

nuvo

As noted in the title, this is not a hifi query. Apologies for the same.

Background:

I have a smallish TV viewing area in the hall. The place is already crowded and a full fledged 5.1 would look out of place.

I initially had a Logitech Z906 system. I did not like the sound quality. Also the cable management was horrible. I used to have a separate music listening area and TV viewing area. As I entered into the lazy world of music streaming, I decided merge both areas into one.

Present set up:

Apple TV 4k ---> Panasonic GX800 ---> Optical out -----> Toping D30 -----> Marantz PM5004 ----> Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Requirement:

1. I want to have better cinema experience.
2. Music quality is not important as I plan to continue with the existing stereo set up.
3. The thing should be clutter less while giving better performance than Z906. Frankly, I like watching movie in my present stereo set up rather than in 5.1 of Z906.

Choices:

Whether I should by a soundbar like Sonos Beam 2 or buy a HomePod pair. Or any other active system that is relatively clutter free yet offer good cinema experience.

Since you already have an Apple tv I'd go the other way and say 2 x homepods. For normal listening levels you will never feel the need for subs. my daughter uses a single OG homepod with an apple tv. at it is pretty satisfactory. 2x will improve tonality, volume levels and spatial audio.

however neither this solution or almost any reasonably priced soundbar that I have heard is going to give you the spatial impact of of properly setup 5.1 system

Last edited:
As noted in the title, this is not a hifi query. Apologies for the same.

Background:

I have a smallish TV viewing area in the hall. The place is already crowded and a full fledged 5.1 would look out of place.

I initially had a Logitech Z906 system. I did not like the sound quality. Also the cable management was horrible. I used to have a separate music listening area and TV viewing area. As I entered into the lazy world of music streaming, I decided merge both areas into one.

Present set up:

Apple TV 4k ---> Panasonic GX800 ---> Optical out -----> Toping D30 -----> Marantz PM5004 ----> Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Requirement:

1. I want to have better cinema experience.
2. Music quality is not important as I plan to continue with the existing stereo set up.
3. The thing should be clutter less while giving better performance than Z906. Frankly, I like watching movie in my present stereo set up rather than in 5.1 of Z906.

Choices:

Whether I should by a soundbar like Sonos Beam 2 or buy a HomePod pair. Or any other active system that is relatively clutter free yet offer good cinema experience.
Hi,

For Music listening Stereo setup is good , for movie sound bar ( Sonos ) is good depends to your room size ,
Merging Music and Movie will not going to satisfying you .

Unless HI End AVR system .

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back