Soundcard performance

Pls.check I have added some links above.

problems with PCI-E & MB chipset?-http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/asus_xonar_d2x

Last edited:
No but Windows 7 might work with Xonar. :D

Search the Asus site. Vendors have already started releasing drivers since windoz has 70% market share of PCs.

Cheers

Hmm..it makes me think.. your point about analog audio. Currently the analog outs from my Xonar D2X beat my Marantz receiver hands down in audio quality.

Hi Vortex!!

I want to buy a sound card and D2X falls in my budget. I see you own a similar card.
The PCI Express X 16 slot is consumed by NVIDIA 8600GT graphics controller.
I think my MOBO will be able to house D2X? What say?
Also, you'd mentioned that you have used analog outs from D2X. I think the D2X only has a 3.5mm single analog connector. Are you using a splitter?

MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM
Details as available: 1 x PCI Express x16, 1X PCI Express x1, 2 x PCI
I think 8600GT is on the (X16) slot. Can I use sound card on (X 1) PCI ex slot?

I have asked a similar Q on another thread but I need more info before I step into this.

Thanks.

Technically, Sumit, you can use the Xonar D2X on your motherboard in any one of the other PCI-E slots available.

But practically, the Xonar is an inordinately long and broad card. That it requires you to connect the floppy power cables also might complicate things. Please check out the space available within your cabinet. You might be able to fit both of the cards in (the Xonar along with your existing display card that is). However if you are housing your PC in a room without AC I think there may be problems related to overheating.

On the analog outs, the Xonar gives you analog outs for all of the 7.1 channels. Goodies are one thing you cannot complain regarding the Xonar D2X card!

Further since you have probably seen me singing praises of this card, I also think you should know about the downside that I have experienced. The drivers for these cards from ASUS are among the worst I have experienced. If you are banking on ASIO output, then the default drivers provided will not give you true 32 bit ASIO. For that you would need ASIO4ALL - and yes, that will take care of your needs adequately. But then, mature drivers from compaines such as Maudio save users so much trouble. And there are regular updates too - unlike ASUS or for that matter, Creative.

Technically, Sumit, you can use the Xonar D2X on your motherboard in any one of the other PCI-E slots available.

But practically, the Xonar is an inordinately long and broad card. That it requires you to connect the floppy power cables also might complicate things. Please check out the space available within your cabinet. You might be able to fit both of the cards in (the Xonar along with your existing display card that is). However if you are housing your PC in a room without AC I think there may be problems related to overheating.

On the analog outs, the Xonar gives you analog outs for all of the 7.1 channels. Goodies are one thing you cannot complain regarding the Xonar D2X card!

Further since you have probably seen me singing praises of this card, I also think you should know about the downside that I have experienced. The drivers for these cards from ASUS are among the worst I have experienced. If you are banking on ASIO output, then the default drivers provided will not give you true 32 bit ASIO. For that you would need ASIO4ALL - and yes, that will take care of your needs adequately. But then, mature drivers from compaines such as Maudio save users so much trouble. And there are regular updates too - unlike ASUS or for that matter, Creative.

Votex: Thanks for clearing things. Although, I am a novice w.r.t sound cards and shall need further help when I purchase the SC. I must tell you that I have no knowledge of 'ASIO' n related stuff.

Also, pls have a look at my equipment in my signature below. pls. Suggest me a sound card best for my equipment. I shall use the SC purely of 2 channel and occassionally for multi-channel vide optical/coaxial.

How would you rate DX to D2x?

TIA

Sumit

D2X is way ahead of the DX. Lets just say that the D2X's analog outs will absolutely trump the DACs in your Marantz receiver. And having been a Marantz user I do know that it is no wuss with music.

It is just that the DACs that these sound cards have are far ahead of anything available in these receivers.

DX is almost half the price of D2X at about 4000. It is all a matter of how much you value sound quality and music.

Vortex,
you are using D2X........ iam getting one at 7.5k.
But many are telling me to go for Essence STX.. 8.2k..

what do u say?

And as you said, if we make a optical and analogue connection , we get best of both worlds.

Hi Sumit,

D2x is a multichannel card and if you are looking for a 2 channel setup, its better go for another one form Asus, Xonar Essence STX. This is a true audiophile card (a dedicated 2 channel card) as of now with better specs (better opamps, capacitors etc) and far better performance (as per lot of expert reviews) than D2X / DX or Prelude / Forte or MAudio. Also this card is cheaper than D2X. Moreover if you want a multi channel setup, you can use the SPDIF out. Also a multichannel PCI version (ST and ST Deluxe) is under production for the same card. As per the initial prototype testing done by Guru3d.com, the new card is having better SQ. As of now STX is the best option. Google for reviews of this card and the comparison b/n the D2X and other cards.

regs
Sajith

Vortex,
you are using D2X........ iam getting one at 7.5k.
But many are telling me to go for Essence STX.. 8.2k..

what do u say?

And as you said, if we make a optical and analogue connection , we get best of both worlds.

Essence should be cheaper than D2X. Asus had stopped their production and both the cards are having shortage in the market.
Check with this guy.. TechEnclave
I tried to ping him, but not yet responded. Another guy (there are a lot in this forum) is also dealing with this (username like predatorvj, he told he will get back to me). Moreover i am waiting for the new Essence ST Deluxe to be launched.

" if we make a optical and analogue connection , we get best of both worlds.", There is no doubt that the DACs in these cards are far better than these receivers. Then why should you go for an spdif connection from D2X, analog o/p will be better from this card unless you have a very high end receiver.

Last edited:
I have purchased Asus Essence STX from Techenclave (username "Redbull") last month at Rs. 7600 delivered price. The dealing with him was absolute pleasure.

Hi Sumit,

D2x is a multichannel card and if you are looking for a 2 channel setup, its better go for another one form Asus, Xonar Essence STX. This is a true audiophile card (a dedicated 2 channel card) as of now with better specs (better opamps, capacitors etc) and far better performance (as per lot of expert reviews) than D2X / DX or Prelude / Forte or MAudio. Also this card is cheaper than D2X. Moreover if you want a multi channel setup, you can use the SPDIF out. Also a multichannel PCI version (ST and ST Deluxe) is under production for the same card. As per the initial prototype testing done by Guru3d.com, the new card is having better SQ. As of now STX is the best option. Google for reviews of this card and the comparison b/n the D2X and other cards.

regs
Sajith

Sajith, so you mean to say we can obtain multichannel sound from stx? can you please explain, i am quite ignorant about this.

Yes amit, i noticed your posts over there about the stx. Anyways congrats for the purchase. Can u post a detailed review? Do u have his contact number / mail id?

Auzentech sources their cards from Creative. They just spruce them up, but the basic underlying structure/technology is Creative. Creative are good, I've used them for years, but that was before PC manufactures started making audiophile grade soundcards. Now on comparison to Asus, Creative lacks and I would say Auzentech would also lack since they are built using Creative cards.

Has anyone tried Auzentech cards like this or similar?

Auzentech, Inc. X-Fi Home Theater HD : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

How can we compare Asus Xonar with Auzentech cards?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back