Soundcard performance

No, this is the first time I'm hearing of Onkyo making soundcards. Priced in the same 9K range too.

I find looking at pic,capacitors are not high Q like xonar,but uses wolfson DACs WM8740 chipsets

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-561923.html

read some last para.
some discussions-

Onkyo SE-200PCI LTD Limited Edition - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!
X-bit labs - Discussion on article X-Fi for Music Lovers: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 in Detail

It is promoted as audiophile card.

Onkyo and soundcards? New to me, as well. Thanks for sharing the information. Anybody having the card in their PC?

onkyo also has an audiophile PC.

2-15-08-onkyo-apx-2-hd.jpg

Looks like this. This is an old one from 2008. Need to check Onkyo's website for any new ones...

I read whthifi last month & posted it somewhere.Onkyo has joined some Japaniese it company & started manufacturing HTPC.

This card is PCI version & some forums has recommended it.:clapping:

I have 1 doubt ,I checked on Asus wed that Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe supports HDaudio support.-

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Does that meen if I opt for DX or D2X,I cannot use these cards for HDaudio?
I meen if KM player decodes HDaud,then can we use these cards for 7.1ana output?In simple words I need to use DAC of DX or D2X to get 7.1ana out from Blray mov.

I have 1 doubt ,I checked on Asus wed that Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe supports HDaudio support.-

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

I meen if KM player decodes HDaud,then can we use these cards for 7.1ana output?In simple words I need to use DAC of DX or D2X to get 7.1ana out from Blray mov.

As i am planning to buy Essence ST (main board released some couple of days back, not sure about the price and availiability), i am waiting for the answer for this. I will be using PowerDVD (till not sure about whether they have removed the downsampling limitation) integrated to MediaPortal or MediaCenter.

Last edited:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

You can use analog out for 7.1 audio from DX/D2X. Problem with them is that they cannot pass true HD audio by bitstreaming (through HDMI - 5.1 is maximum that is supported by spdif because of bandwidth limitations) so that and external AVR/amplifier like onkyo 606, denon 1909 amongst other can process it.

What the Dx/D2X will do (actually the software like MPC or Cyberlink power DVD decodes the true HD audio to analog streams in 7.1 format which the d2x/Dx deliver) pass 7.1 analog audio - you need a receiver with analog in (7.1) for that. Most budget receivers do not have that and hence you have to stick with computer speakers.

Xonar HDAV 1.3 (highly overpriced for a feature that the HiFi and movie industry overlooked during their thinking process) can pass 8 channel audio via bitstream untouched (so that software doe snot decode it and create problems) to an external receiver which can then use it HW to process the audio. Thats it man.:rolleyes:

As i am planning to buy Essence ST (main board released some couple of days back, not sure about the price and availiability), i am waiting for the answer for this. I will be using PowerDVD (till not sure about whether they have removed the downsampling limitation) integrated to MediaPortal or MediaCenter.

dude if you use XBMC it can pass digital audio via spdif optical/coaxial - so whether you use the digital out from the integrated mobo soundcard or Essence - it will essentially be the same. I pass audio via digital out as is to my receiver.

If you use the ST for stereo only - you need ASIO support from foobar/winamp etc and use analog connections for stereo - here the ST scores over an integrated SC in the analog out side.

You can use analog out for 7.1 audio from DX/D2X. Problem with them is that they cannot pass true HD audio by bitstreaming (through HDMI - 5.1 is maximum that is supported by spdif because of bandwidth limitations) so that and external AVR/amplifier like onkyo 606, denon 1909 amongst other can process it.

What the Dx/D2X will do (actually the software like MPC or Cyberlink power DVD decodes the true HD audio to analog streams in 7.1 format which the d2x/Dx deliver) pass 7.1 analog audio - you need a receiver with analog in (7.1) for that. Most budget receivers do not have that and hence you have to stick with computer speakers.

Xonar HDAV 1.3 (highly overpriced for a feature that the HiFi and movie industry overlooked during their thinking process) can pass 8 channel audio via bitstream untouched (so that software doe snot decode it and create problems) to an external receiver which can then use it HW to process the audio. Thats it man.:rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing my doubts,

I get from this that DX/D2X can be used as 7.1-DAC for blray Hd aud & input to 7.1ana input to get lossless sound.
I m not interested in Bitstreaming as I want to use SC DAC(not AVR).

So the link-

Power DVD8 HD decoding> SC> 7.1 ana.output

Only one thing more,as bitrate of HD aud is far more than that of Dts/DD.
In this case can Dx,D2X handle this?(after receiving lossless decoded-LPCM sound from power DVD8)

Last edited:
dude if you use XBMC it can pass digital audio via spdif optical/coaxial - so whether you use the digital out from the integrated mobo soundcard or Essence - it will essentially be the same. I pass audio via digital out as is to my receiver.

If you use the ST for stereo only - you need ASIO support from foobar/winamp etc and use analog connections for stereo - here the ST scores over an integrated SC in the analog out side.

@ Supra, I am not talking about the SPDIF connection from Essence ST (my mobo has it, and currently i am using the same). I am looking for the Power DVD or a similar s/w to decode the TrueHD/DTS-MA audio from an HD source and the ST dac should do the loseless analogue conversion so that i dont require an amp with HD audio decoder with HDMI in (not concerned about the LPCM out thru' HDMI or bitstreaming.) In simple terms, i dont want to change my current AVR. Currently Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3a is the only card with inbuilt decoder for an LPCM out thru HDMI and it also has a daughter board for analog out for those who dont have an AVR with HD audio decoder. Essence ST (not STX) is also focussing the same market with a daughter card for better 7.1 analog out than hdav1.3 and d2x.

Thanks for clearing my doubts,

I get from this that DX/D2X can be used as 7.1-DAC for blray Hd aud & input to 7.1ana input to get lossless sound.
I m not interested in Bitstreaming as I want to use SC DAC(not AVR).

So the link-

Power DVD8 HD decoding> SC> 7.1 ana.output

Only one thing more,as bitrate of HD aud is far more than that of Dts/DD.
In this case can Dx,D2X handle this?(after receiving lossless decoded-LPCM sound from power DVD8)

yes the DX/D2X can handle the 7.1 analogue output.

PowerDVD can pass lossles LPCM via optical or HDMI - the optical is limited to 5.1 output (because of bandwidth) the HDMi can do 7.1 LPCM.

In your case the media player (power DVD) will decode the audio to the SC and ultimately pass the sound stream via analogue outs. The processing is done at the software level - i am not sure of what quality these software can attain wrt processing of HD audio. Anyway the SC DAC will come into play here if you use wave out/direct sound out from the media player or powerDVD. Then the SC DAC processes the aduio into 8 discrete streams.

The idea is to prevent the SW from decoding/applying any changes like dolby/prologic etc at its level anything - its not the quality of the software but the implementation of code wrt OS level that brings in errors or discrepancies. But most of these software works in tandem with the card (which specs are great but limited with the SW i used)

1. Power DVD -> 6/8 channel LPCM -> external receiver through optical/HDMI
2. Pwer DVD - > SC (for analogue processing of HD audio) ->external receiver with 6/8 channel analogue in.

PS: I have a separate modest setup in PC with Creative Sound Blaster Platinum 5.1 wit creative 5300 speakers - the change was visible with ASIO drivers for the soundcard and winamp/foobar. Problem is not the hw but sw that aid s int he decoding at times.

@ Supra, I am not talking about the SPDIF connection from Essence ST (my mobo has it, and currently i am using the same). I am looking for the Power DVD or a similar s/w to decode the TrueHD/DTS-MA audio from an HD source and the ST dac should do the loseless analogue conversion so that i dont require an amp with HD audio decoder with HDMI in (not concerned about the LPCM out thru' HDMI or bitstreaming.) In simple terms, i dont want to change my current AVR. Currently Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3a is the only card with inbuilt decoder for an LPCM out thru HDMI and it also has a daughter board for analog out for those who dont have an AVR with HD audio decoder. Essence ST (not STX) is also focussing the same market with a daughter card for better 7.1 analog out than hdav1.3 and d2x.

Essence ST is good for st.music whereas 1.3HDAV is dedicated to process HD aud.Essence ST cannot work with HD surr,but only ana stereo.

suprateep- Thanks a lot,I just wanted to confirm before I go for SC.I was worried as I read somewhere that old SC can handle HD lossless aud ,but only when bit-rate is reduced by software.i.e.HD aud is downscaled to DD/DTS bitrates by software & then SC handles it.In that way we cannot get true HDaud but converted/downscaled as dd/Dts just like reg DVDs.just needed confirmation..

HD aud bitrate-1.5 mbps to 448kpbs & so..
even sample rates 192kHz to lower as DD/Dts

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-13817_7-6462511-4.html

Last edited:
Essence ST is good for st.music whereas 1.3HDAV is dedicated to process HD aud.Essence ST cannot work with HD surr,but only ana stereo.

suprateep- Thanks a lot,I just wanted to confirm before I go for SC.I was worried as I read somewhere that old SC can handle HD lossless aud ,but only when bit-rate is reduced by software.i.e.HD aud is downscaled to DD/DTS bitrates by software & then SC handles it.In that way we cannot get true HDaud but converted/downscaled as dd/Dts just like reg DVDs.just needed confirmation..

you are right my friend - older soundcards used to process audio that way - so you would get 16/44 instead of 24/96 for true hd audio. I think the DX is good at its price point if a all round ability is needed.

Also try playing around with ASIO4ALL and see if it works - kx projects did wonders with my older creative PC setup - the bass response change is phenomenal.

you are right my friend - older soundcards used to process audio that way - so you would get 16/44 instead of 24/96 for true hd audio. I think the DX is good at its price point if a all round ability is needed.

Also try playing around with ASIO4ALL and see if it works - kx projects did wonders with my older creative PC setup - the bass response change is phenomenal.

Final thoughts-
DX,D2X can handle true 24/96 (not 16/44) ,hence are future ready & work similar to that of onboard decoding of std Blueray player.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-13817_7-6462511-4.html

I got site which has confirmed that Xonar can handle HD aud,but still not sure if DX too.

http://xonar-india.asus.com/

Last edited:

HD aud bitrate-1.5 mbps to 448kpbs & so..
even sample rates 192kHz to lower as DD/Dts

Blu-ray soundtracks - Blu-ray: CNET's Quick Guide - CNET Reviews

@Spirovious, Its not the Essence STX which is already in the market from Dec2008. It has only the spdif out to get the multichannel. Essence ST is a new PCI variant of Essence ( A sneak preview : ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sneak Preview | test). The main board (with the connectors for the daughter board which is different than the STX) is released a couple of days back and the daughter board is yet to release. This is going to replace D2X (as per my understanding, asus had stopped the production of this board some time back), obviously with all the flavours of STX for stereo (with the same BB dac) and with a daughter board for 7.1 analogue out. This is one of the much awaiting card right now, since its a audiophile stereo and a 7.1ch card. As per the pre-release review, it sounds better than Essence STX. Its wise to wait till the board comes for retail (very soon). I am worried only about the pricing, need to wait...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back