SOUNDSTAGE - Bookshelf with a single bass driver Vs Floorstander with 4 bass drivers placed vertically

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for this post. Its insightful
Quick query - Can i conclude that same brand, same series, same cone size - will BS+Sub perform as good as FS + sub
Usage - movies

I am comparing Audio vector QR1 (BS) and QR3 (FS)

Thanks in advance
Ashish Gupta

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for this post. Its insightful
Quick query - Can i conclude that same brand, same series, same cone size - will BS+Sub perform as good as FS + sub
Usage - movies

I am comparing Audio vector QR1 (BS) and QR3 (FS)

Thanks in advance
Ashish Gupta
If you have control over the room you intend to use these speakers in terms of placement and some treatment, I would prefer a floor stander. It will depend on you as the end users how the room interacts with the speakers regardless which ones you get. What amplification do you have in mind?

If you have control over the room you intend to use these speakers in terms of placement and some treatment, I would prefer a floor stander. It will depend on you as the end users how the room interacts with the speakers regardless which ones you get. What amplification do you have in mind?
My setup would be 5.2.2 with Denon AVR and amplifier for 2 subwoofer. I have in wall subwoofer

Make sure the Denon is capable of driving those speakers as they are 87db sensitive. I would suggest go for the bookshelves if you already have a sub. How big is the room?

Make sure the Denon is capable of driving those speakers as they are 87db sensitive. I would suggest go for the bookshelves if you already have a sub. How big is the room?

AVR - I am thinking Denon X3400H

Room size / shape
Its a T shape room. with sofa and system in the middle
Middle area would be around 15 by 14 ft
and 2 pockets in each side measuring 10 by 9 ft

Pic attachedHT setup.jpg

which wall does the tv/screen go on?
This amp should drive the speakers , but not get the best out of the audio vectors. Have you auditioned it with your amp?

which wall does the tv/screen go on?
This amp should drive the speakers , but not get the best out of the audio vectors. Have you auditioned it with your amp?

TV goes on to 35 ft wall
I have auditioned it with starting edition of pioneer avr. I will be buying Denon AVR. Can go for some other avr as well if it can perform better

I think with all the open spaces you might have to crank up the volume perhaps stressing out the amp. Lots of open areas. Are you getting the audio vector subwoofer too?

I think with all the open spaces you might have to crank up the volume perhaps stressing out the amp. Lots of open areas. Are you getting the audio vector subwoofer too?
I am putting 2 8inch oemsystems in wall subwoofer

Hello All,

General understanding is that a BS+Sub ... performs as good as FS+Sub
If we have a sub, there is no need to go for a FS. BS should be good enough. (if i am right here)

I have a hard time convincing a bookshelf with a single bass driver can perform as good as a floor stander with 4 such bass drivers.
How does it work this way?

At least....does the floorstander has a "wider sound stage" horizontally & vertically? compared to a BS?

Because in a FS, 4 or 5 bass drivers are placed vertically, and sound is produced along its length 2 to 3 feet vertically.
But in a BS, sound is produced from a single point. (asking this for learning, and may be useful to others too)

In my current situation, im looking if "Taga Platinum B40" bookshelf can perform as good as "Platinum F60 SL" floorstander.
(of course I have a 12" sub)

Any suggestions please .... Thanks a lot in advance
Naveen

Hello all,

I have an update of sorts:

I have an active 2-way bookshelf speakers that are crossed at 120Hz
I also have sat-sub system that uses the same drivers as in the bookshelf, crossed at the same frequency.
So it the same speaker system, but 'boxed' differently (perfect for the purpose of this thread)

I compared the two with a switch and relay and found no difference in sound stage.
In a blind fold test, it would be almost impossible to tell one from the other.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back