Soundstage in pure direct not so good

Dear Fm’s

During my entire HT journey I have never given interest to stereo but after purchasing 4500 it really got me addicted especially in pure direct mode.But recently it sounds very bad mainly due to the reason the bass is so muddy and flat. There is no thump or punch at all in the z3. I would like your opinions on what can be the issue. There are 3 possibilities and that the problem is with avr or the speakers.The 3rd possibility is which I highly doubt is the reason and it’s after I installed 65 inch c9. As you can see in the image below when I had a 43 inch tv the speakers were not so wide apart and also had enough room around them. For installing the c9 I had to move both the LR 2-3 inches apart. Now they are slightly wider but as you can see there is no breathing space in the sides as they are almost kissing the c9. Your thoughts on the subject please
In the 1 st picture you have used dual subs for LFE?
In the very next pic, we just seen one.
Have you recalibrated with a single SW?
You have shifted the xtz’ s position also!

In the 1 st picture you have used dual subs for LFE?
In the very next pic, we just seen one.
Have you recalibrated with a single SW?
You have shifted the xtz’ s position also!
Please Ignore the subs. In pure direct subs won’t work. That dual was for testing. On all occasions my regular spot for the sub is as on the second picture

Please Ignore the subs. In pure direct subs won’t work. That dual was for testing. On all occasions my regular spot for the sub is as on the second picture
Sorry I forgot pure D is for 2.0 only.
There is no enhancement in the signal chain, is n’t it?

Output will be in left and right even playing with a DD Atmos source?
No you will get atmos output in all channels. What pure direct does is turns off the main unit display, analog video circuit, audyssey and all other dsp processing. It sends the audio signal as it is in the source directly to the amplifier. So if input is 2.0 output is 2.0 and if input is 5.1 out put is 5.1 etc

Thanks every one for all your inputs. So I tested with the Denon 2500 and the same issue in pure direct. So the issue must be due to the new speaker placement and big tv giving no breathing space for the speakers.

Hi Navin,

One thing for sure is that your speakers are too close to each other for the L & R. But if it is a room limitation then it cannot be helped.

Regards.

Hi Navin,

One thing for sure is that your speakers are too close to each other for the L & R. But if it is a room limitation then it cannot be helped.

Regards.

Hey Nitin

I wouldn’t say it is to close and also it did sound very good before I installed them 2-3 inches away. Now that the tv is big and to close to the speakers is What causing the bass to sound muddy.
This is How it all starts...
Welcome ;)
Hahah yeah may be when I get bored of the z3 I will get some speaker which as a port in the fronts to overcome this issue. I guess a speaker with front port will be much suited for my current set up

Did you try it?
Yeah not much difference. Sorry forgot to update. I am going to give up doing more tests as I have already spent a lot of time. I think the maid reason for the change in soundstage is due to the large tv and speakers being close to it.

Yeah not much difference. Sorry forgot to update. I am going to give up doing more tests as I have already spent a lot of time. I think the maid reason for the change in soundstage is due to the large tv and speakers being close to it.
Recently I changed matantz speaker distance as l wanted to try ht in another room.Once l reinstalled in living room and changed speaker distance, the sound of avr is not same as before :). This used to happen with Yamaha avr too.AV processor just tuns some timing with even smaller changes and it takes more time to achieve same level.

Recently I changed matantz speaker distance as l wanted to try ht in another room.Once l reinstalled in living room and changed speaker distance, the sound of avr is not same as before :). This used to happen with Yamaha avr too.AV processor just tuns some timing with even smaller changes and it takes more time to achieve same level.
Yeah the sound characteristics changes based on the objects and speaker position. I am just glad knowing nothing is wrong in my gear. My room also doesn’t have any acoustic treatment may be I should try out some basic treatment later which should improve the sound stage. The muddy bass I don’t think I can do anything cause my speakers are rear ported and placed close to the tv. Later When I get bored of the dalis I’ll try a front ported speaker which may solve the muddy bass problem

In a lighter vein
May be the AVRs and other hifi equipment have a built-in time-bound very slow degradation mechanism that would force buyers to upgrade their equipment as newer versions come to market :p:D

ps. before you LOL and consider this a 'conspiracy theory' or 'nutcase' remember the iphones!

In a lighter vein
May be the AVRs and other hifi equipment have a built-in time-bound very slow degradation mechanism that would force buyers to upgrade their equipment as newer versions come to market :p:D

ps. before you LOL and consider this a 'conspiracy theory' or 'nutcase' remember the iphones!

This is very true in the case of 3D softwares. Every year some micro changes are made and it is advertised year wise as xxxx 2020 new version and the users have to subscribe to avoid the disconnection as most of the softwares have become rental. Same like the Marantz/Denon receivers. Every year new ones with superficial changes & degrading build quality.

In a lighter vein

May be but mine is new and very less usage. In my case it’s due to the speaker placement and big tv

This may not be true, as we mature in AV world , we better understand and experience our equipments and their sound signature/quality. Simultaneously we also learn and get the knowledge of technical terms related to music in more detail. Now we become able to judge the shortcomings of our equipments wrt actual expectations and the journey of upgreadation start. There are so many FM happily using their equipments for decades only because they know what they want and how to invest in that wisely .

This may not be true, as we mature in AV world , we better understand and experience our equipments and their sound signature/quality. Simultaneously we also learn and get the knowledge of technical terms related to music in more detail. Now we become able to judge the shortcomings of our equipments wrt actual expectations and the journey of upgreadation start. There are so many FM happily using their equipments for decades only because they know what they want and how to invest in that wisely .

Pls don't get me wrong. I like the Marantz sound. I have had 2 of them back to back. SR8200 and now SR7011. Both are same specs wise. One made in Japan and the other in Vietnam.
The build quality of SR8200 was simply good, like a tank and stereo quality, material of speaker connectors was excellent. The buttons were solid. The volume knob was plastic but very good quality & had a little weight to it.
The SR 7011 build quality certainly is much lighter. The Volume & Selector knobs feel smaller, very light and plasticky. Speaker connectors feel very delicate.
Soundwise for stereo still preferred SR 8200 but for movies 7011 is much better . Besides 8200 did not have Hdmi but lasted me for 10 years after which I sold it since I needed Hdmi too.
Point is minor features can be given as upgrades( payable or free) and a new model can come after 2 to 3 years when a radical change happens.
Not sure if companies like Cambridge audio, Nad, Arcam, Anthem come out with models every year. I guess it is a capitalistic world and a company has to make profits to survive. Hence somewhere a compromise needs to be done.
Apologising for going off topic. Mods can delete it if they feel so.

Last edited:
It is true that nowadays AVRs are loosing build quality and gaining more technology . Build quality, Power supply etc are the only place where compromise can be done to survive in market. Major mid to high end pre -HDMI AVRs were build like a tank and had very good stereo performance. Manufacturers find it difficult to induct technical advancements in their products within the mentioned price range. Build quality and amplification quality gets greatly compromised in advancement of technology. Still manufacturers trying to balance the best between sound quality, build quality and feature. Expecting similar price IA stereo performance from techanologically advanced AVR is a bit unfair . As we grow in av field these shortcomings of avr becomes more clear and we start a search for better equipment. Still manufacturers are making analog amplifier or separate pre-pro without any feature with prime object of just sound quality.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back