speaker and amp upgrade for my car

anirudh panwar

please suggest a component and coaxial speaker combo or a component and simple speaker combo for my maruti scross car where i am presently using OEM speakers but have now added a JVC KWM 150 BT digital media reciever HU which is rated for 4x45 W max power and has 3 preouts..im looking for new speakers and matching amp.budget is about 10K for the speakers and 15K ?for the amp..which can be reviewed if felt. also can i simply use the new speakers without a amp initally.please advice

Last edited:
Steg Leo 650C is in your budget and as per one of the sellers, it can be used without an external amplifier. I heard it briefly in a car where it was powered by an entry level amplifier and it was good

please suggest a component and coaxial speaker combo or a component and simple speaker combo for my maruti scross car where i am presently using OEM speakers but have now added a JVC KWM 150 BT digital media reciever HU which is rated for 4x45 W max power and has 3 preouts..im looking for new speakers and matching amp.budget is about 10K for the speakers and 15K ?for the amp..which can be reviewed if felt. also can i simply use the new speakers without a amp initally.please advice

Get a bi-ampable component speaker to avoid external amp. Use amplifed front for tweeters and rear for woofers. Your hu puts 14w power and 2v preouts only, refer the below.

Screenshot_20220919-060937_Chrome.jpg
If you couldn't get a bi-ampable component speaker get the normal one and use that xover for midbass only and buy a poly propylene capacitor for Tweeter additionally

Steg Leo 650C is in your budget and as per one of the sellers, it can be used without an external amplifier. I heard it briefly in a car where it was powered by an entry level amplifier and it was good

Get a bi-ampable component speaker to avoid external amp. Use amplifed front for tweeters and rear for woofers. Your hu puts 14w power and 2v preouts only, refer the below.

View attachment 72003
If you couldn't get a bi-ampable component speaker get the normal one and use that xover for midbass only and buy a poly propylene capacitor for Tweeter additionally

Expandability:​

• inputs: rear USB input; backup camera input; rear A/V input (RCA)
  • outputs: rear video output; 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, mono sub)
see the crutchfield review ..3 pre outs ie 2 volt front,rear and mono sub

Last edited:
The Steg Leo 650C does not have an external crossover, the midbass is directly connected to HU/Amp and the capacitor to protect tweeter is integrated in the cables of tweeter. When you bi-amp this type of component speakers from HU, where do we set the crossover and gain settings ?

The Steg Leo 650C does not have an external crossover, the midbass is directly connected to HU/Amp and the capacitor to protect tweeter is integrated in the cables of tweeter. When you bi-amp this type of component speakers from HU, where do we set the crossover and gain settings ?
It becomes easy in that case. Can deploy midbass connected to rear amplifed output of head unit and Tweeter on the front amplified output. This way power output of hu can be optimally used and Time Alignment can be done for better staging.

Gain adjustment can be done using fader function of front and Rear.

Hows this combo of Morel Maximo 6 Mk II and Morel Maximo 6..if both are to be used in my car.which should be fitted in the front.
for this combo which car amp is recommended ...budget about 15K max.both these are rated at 90W RMS in 4 ohms...so the amp i guess should have less than 90W RMS power in 4 ohms( i mean a 4 channel amp)

Have no experience with either of these. They are rated for 100+ watts and they are near your budget

Pioneer GMD8704
Morel MPD 4.100

• For your speakers, use an amplifier whose top RMS output per channel is no higher than each speaker's top RMS rating.
  • For your amplifier, get speakers with top RMS ratings that are equal to or higher than each amp channel's top RMS output.

• For your speakers, use an amplifier whose top RMS output per channel is no higher than each speaker's top RMS rating.
  • For your amplifier, get speakers with top RMS ratings that are equal to or higher than each amp channel's top RMS output.
picked up this rule from www.crutchfield.com...so cant have a amp of RMS greater than 90W @ 4 ohms...my guess

With my personal experience I felt, the component speakers are elevated with more brighter sound , which is good for listening classical. But i feel sometimes its harsh to ears . And for rock/pop songs BASS is lacking. After I added sub it solved the problem but it was additional expense.
Instead you can try high end 3 way coaxial speakers with good BASS driver which will be better than Component speakers and u don't need additional sub and adding AMP is optional. Another problem with component speaker is ,AMP is mandatory and Installation/placements should be done correctly so that tweeter have to be in sync with BASS driver. Due to the different Car environment it may not be possible to achieve best placement, and Most of our Audio installers don't know this tweak. I have heard the high end component speakers (like Rainbow,Audison) with DSP+AMP setup which was sounding good but we need to spend in lakhs.
My setup is Alpine DP-65C component speakers with Rockford Amp. Later added Pioneer Sub.

Last edited:
With my personal experience I felt, the component speakers are elevated with more brighter sound , which is good for listening classical. But i feel sometimes its harsh to ears . And for rock/pop songs BASS is lacking. After I added sub it solved the problem but it was additional expense.
Instead you can try high end 3 way coaxial speakers with good BASS driver which will be better than Component speakers and u don't need additional sub and adding AMP is optional. Another problem with component speaker is ,AMP is mandatory and Installation/placements should be done correctly so that tweeter have to be in sync with BASS driver. Due to the different Car environment it may not be possible to achieve best placement, and Most of our Audio installers don't know this tweak. I have heard the high end component speakers (like Rainbow,Audison) with DSP+AMP setup which was sounding good but we need to spend in lakhs.
My setup is Alpine DP-65C component speakers with Rockford Amp. Later added Pioneer Su
i wish to keep my car audio very simple and basic with some good treble .....not really keen to waste money .so was thinking that only replacing the existing stock speakers will suffice but i guess that wont work?anyway what combo would you suggest if i dont want a amp to be added to run with this JVC HU of mine

i wish to keep my car audio very simple and basic with some good treble .....not really keen to waste money .so was thinking that only replacing the existing stock speakers will suffice but i guess that wont work?anyway what combo would you suggest if i dont want a amp to be added to run with this JVC HU of mine
Ok, Upgrading from OEM car unit to JVC HU is good choice, it will provide you better Eq and controls for sound tuning.
For speakers ,Check these out.
Focal RCX-165PSI
KICKER 41DSC654
Pioneer TS-A1670F
Sony XSFB1330,XS-XB1641 , XS-FB693E , XS-FB1630.
JBL GTO939
If possible try to get demo from car audio showroom of this speakers and choose best which suits your taste.
Have two pair of them in front and back door , And do one layer of damping in the front and back door and you will be good to go.

Back