Speaker and amplifier matching, Polk R200 and Audiolab 6000a.

muchwowsuchwow

What would you say of this match? I have heard the Polk Audio R200 match well with the Audiolab 6000a, I believe the only small problem with the 6000a is the lack of tone controls but I think adding Schiit Loki+ could easily fix that (I hope). I just wanted to hear a third party's honest opinion on this. I will be using it to mostly listen to CDs from an Onkyo DXC390 and occasionally vinyl records.

Thanks

What would you say of this match? I have heard the Polk Audio R200 match well with the Audiolab 6000a, I believe the only small problem with the 6000a is the lack of tone controls but I think adding Schiit Loki+ could easily fix that (I hope). I just wanted to hear a third party's honest opinion on this. I will be using it to mostly listen to CDs from an Onkyo DXC390 and occasionally vinyl records.

Thanks
On a side note from where you are planning to buy Schiit Loki?

Did you find anything lacking in the audiolab's tone dept that you feel it requires manual control ?
I too use the audiolab, but never missed the tone controls, the phono stage is also very good.

Infact I never played around with tone controls on any of my systems, only time I remember tweaking was due to the vintage speakers I had. Modern speakers will rarely require any tweaking.

Did you find anything lacking in the audiolab's tone dept that you feel it requires manual control ?
I too use the audiolab, but never missed the tone controls, the phono stage is also very good.

Infact I never played around with tone controls on any of my systems, only time I remember tweaking was due to the vintage speakers I had. Modern speakers will rarely require any tweaking.
Actually it depends on individual tastes. Tone controls are essential when a person is used to a particular tone. Besides not all recordings are good and need some tweaking.

Actually it depends on individual tastes. Tone controls are essential when a person is used to a particular tone. Besides not all recordings are good and need some tweaking.

I agree with individual tastes, but doesn't speaker and amp matching come there?

Recordings are hit or miss, but do you change tones based on every song or album?

Just trying to understand how tone controls help in Recordings.

I agree with individual tastes, but doesn't speaker and amp matching come there?

Recordings are hit or miss, but do you change tones based on every song or album?

Just trying to understand how tone controls help in Recordings.
True as you have said that speaker and amp matching is important. But sometimes more fine tuning is also required due to room issues or other factors. If I am not mistaken many people use Minidsp too for lack of tone controls to fine tune to their tastes.
For my personal tastes, I prefer the overal tone a bit on the warmer side since I don't like a bright sound signature.
Since the avr I am using does not have the physical tone controls, I use the Audyssey phone app's " MultEQ filter frequency range " settings to keep it to the tone I like. I don't change it for every track though.

If I had physical tone controls then I would have used that instead. For older or flat sounding hindi recordings , I find the tone controls useful to reduce harshness.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back