Speaker Burn-In Tips

NEVER EVER USE white noise as that can actually burn your tweeter out. White noise has a flat power spectral density which basically means that the amplitude of the low frequencies is almost the same as high frequencies. ....

Shouldn't it be OK under low or reasonable volume levels? I can understand the cause for damage to speakers at higher volumes because of its inherent nature.

Shouldn't it be OK under low or reasonable volume levels? I can understand the cause for damage to speakers at higher volumes because of its inherent nature.

The whole point of speaker break in is to play at moderately loud volumes so that the driver loosens up and is able to move freely. Playing at low volume would take way longer to achieve the same.

The whole point of speaker break in is to play at moderately loud volumes so that the driver loosens up and is able to move freely. Playing at low volume would take way longer to achieve the same.

Exactly boys!

It HAS TO BE PLAYED AT MODERATELY LOUD VOLUMES. Preferably over extended periods of time. BTW, my ISOTEK CD has arrived! Now the next 800 hrs or so will be dedicated burn in between the Isotek Track 2 and some of real listening in the evenings!

Hi Malvai

With the Isotek cd you do not need 800 hrs. 90-100 hrs is more than enough. I own an Isotek cd so i am speaking from personal experience.

Yes Malvai. You will have to get out the beers and the tikkas way sooner than you would have thought. After about 96 hrs of Isotek, play normal music for about 6-8 hrs before doing any critical listening

Yes Malvai. You will have to get out the beers and the tikkas way sooner than you would have thought. After about 96 hrs of Isotek, play normal music for about 6-8 hrs before doing any critical listening

Super!

Prem, what are you driving the rethms with? I have never heard the rethm speakers. but heard a lot about 'em.

Hi Malvai

I am driving my Rethms with their custom designed SET integrated amp. My new upgraded Rethm Saadhanas will be coming end of next week. I have sold my existing Saadhanas. Come over sometime mid May. You can have a listen to the Saadhanas.

Hi Malvai

I am driving my Rethms with their custom designed SET integrated amp. My new upgraded Rethm Saadhanas will be coming end of next week. I have sold my existing Saadhanas. Come over sometime mid May. You can have a listen to the Saadhanas.

would love to do that!

Exactly boys!

It HAS TO BE PLAYED AT MODERATELY LOUD VOLUMES. Preferably over extended periods of time. BTW, my ISOTEK CD has arrived! Now the next 800 hrs or so will be dedicated burn in between the Isotek Track 2 and some of real listening in the evenings!

Sorry I did not quantise the volume in my note. I meant, if one does not play at ear splitting levels then it should be OK to use white noise. While I do understand the concept of potential damage to speakers theoritically, I have not seen one in all my years of working with audio gear. (relatively less ~9). Hence the question.

@an average of 10 hrs a night, you'll be burining-in for about 300 hrs a month. In roughly 1 month you can burn in Dali, Quad or Monitor Audio. In 2 months the tougher speakers like Canton etc. In 3 months the B&W's, Thiels and Dynaudios!

hi malvai - just a thought - -

but then, would we not be better off buying 2 or 3 year used B&W/Thiel loudspeaker? - that way the previous owner would have done all the work and we end up getting his/her labour free - and also the speaker for cheaper than new.

regds

hi malvai - just a thought - -

but then, would we not be better off buying 2 or 3 year used B&W/Thiel loudspeaker? - that way the previous owner would have done all the work and we end up getting his/her labour free - and also the speaker for cheaper than new.

regds

Absolutely right!

In fact I advocate buying pre-owned speakers whole heartedly! Albeit, if you know its owners and how they've handled it... Sometimes one finds that the owners really misuse their speakers.
But if its someone like a Dinyar or Me!!! I'd buy from them with my eyes shut!

Absolutely right!

In fact I advocate buying pre-owned speakers whole heartedly! Albeit, if you know its owners and how they've handled it... Sometimes one finds that the owners really misuse their speakers.
But if its someone like a Dinyar or Me!!! I'd buy from them with my eyes shut!

In that case, I shall wait for you to sell your speakers :D

Curious - but how does one abuse speakers? I would love to know. :)

PS: Here is the aftermath of a failed speaker burn-in test

paper%20godown3.JPG

Cheers

Curious - but how does one abuse speakers? I would love to know. :)

PS: Here is the aftermath of a failed speaker burn-in test

paper%20godown3.JPG

Cheers

Hope it (the speaker) was 1 of those local thugs AKA a politician :D:eek:hyeah::D

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back