Speaker Choices for A/V setup at home

Bresus

Hello friends!

I am trying to set up a 5.1 Audio system in my living room (20ft x 20ft) and looking for guidance on the choice of speakers. I will be using the system essentially for a mix of TV, movies and music (not very high end).

I have purchased a Onkyo TX-NR 626 Amp and have a constraint of using book-shelf speakers (as I don't have space for floor-standing speakers next to my entertainment unit). I have concealed wiring for the surround sound speakers but mounting the surround speakers is a challenge as I don't have a wall to mount the speakers.

My budget is Rs 75-80K and can consider adding the surround speakers at a later stage.

I did try Energy and Elak speakers - they sounded good in the show-room, but would like to hear your inputs before deciding.

Thanks!

Even good bookshelves need to be mounted on stands which occupy floor space.
Can you post pictures of your room for better understanding of the mounting problems

Hi bresus

You could look at the following for speakers that would match on your receiver...

1) Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1
2) Boston Acoustics A2310HTS
3) Wharfedale DX 1 HCP
4) Quad Lite Plus 5.1 Package
5) Bostons A25 or A26 Bookshelf speakers with A225c as the Centre speaker and ASW 650 as subwoofer.
6) Cambridge Audio Bookshelf speakers SX 50 or 60

You would need to use the audyssey calibration to setup these speakers as I noticed that your AVR outputs 160 w p/c @ 6 ohms 1khz. All these speakers have a higher sensitivity 85db and above which will put less strain on low powered AVs to drive them.

There are ample videos and reviews on them available for you to see over the internet and help you in deciding whats best....thumb rule is audition all possible speakers wherever you can and then decide....

Whetever you choose...chosse center speaker and subwoofer wisely..rest of the setup dont matter..you can go cheap on that..
cheers
dheeraj

Thanks; for your response!

Here is a photograph of my entertainment unit - the unit is 8ft breadth x 1.5ft depth x 1.5ft height and I am sure the book shelf speakers can be placed on it. On either side of the unit, I don't have space to put any floor-mounting equipment.

Attachments

• 1394715171067.jpg
    1394715171067.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 81
Where can I get the Boston Acoustics models that you are suggesting - would it be within the 75K budget for the 5.1 setup?

Also, any feedback on Energy & Elak brands?

Thanks; for your response!

Here is a photograph of my entertainment unit - the unit is 8ft breadth x 1.5ft depth x 1.5ft height and I am sure the book shelf speakers can be placed on it. On either side of the unit, I don't have space to put any floor-mounting equipment.

You may consider something like this

Wharfedale DIAMOND 10.LCR

This could be placed right below your TV.... It has Left, Center & Right speakers together in one unit & may fit your requirement.... The price is 28K in hifimart.com...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back