Speaker impedance

Love4sound

Apart from my height speakers which are rated at 8ohms the remaining 5 speakers are 6ohms. Denon 2400 manual says the impedance settings at default is 8ohms and if any one speakers is 6 ohms we need to change the impedance setting to 6. I left it at default and works well but is it correct?

Last edited:
Apart from my height speakers which are rated at 8ohms the remaining 5 speakers are 6ohms. Denon 2400 manual says the impedance settings at default is 8ohms and if any one speakers is 6 ohms we need to change the impedance setting to 6. I left it at default and works well but is it correct?
I've tried both ways (Leaving it to default 8ohms and also changed it to 4 ohms as one of my ceiling speakers was rated @4ohms). In my observation I did not notice a major difference in sound quality, except that when it is left to default it used to heat up a bit. When the impedance is changed to 4 ohms, ECO mode is not available anymore, the AVR runs cooler.

I've tried both ways (Leaving it to default 8ohms and also changed it to 4 ohms as one of my ceiling speakers was rated @4ohms). In my observation I did not notice a major difference in sound quality, except that when it is left to default it used to heat up a bit. When the impedance is changed to 4 ohms, ECO mode is not available anymore, the AVR runs cooler.
Ok in that case i will also change it to 6ohm. But for me i am not having any heating issues with defaults

If the manual suggests change, then yes change. Also, eco mode as a thumb rule should be switched off irrespective. It just handicaps the receiver.

MaSh

If the manual suggests change, then yes change. Also, eco mode as a thumb rule should be switched off irrespective. It just handicaps the receiver.

MaSh

I changed it to 6ohms and was able to notice difference. The speakers felt more bright and powerful. I was able to hear more details in certain scenes and over all the sound stage felt more dynamic but at the expense of more distortion. So now I changed it to defaults 8ohms and the sound is more clean now even though less dynamic. I was watching 8012 review on Audioholic channel and there also they mentioned to leave it in default values 8ohm.

Pls keep your impedance at the highest setting on the receiver as per this article otherwise you may not get maximum output from your receiver.

Pls keep your impedance at the highest setting on the receiver as per this article otherwise you may not get maximum output from your receiver.

there is a clause, read that carefully:
Now there are some extreme cases where you may have a speaker that can dip down into sub 4 ohm impedance for significant portions of their curves. In those rare cases, you may want to actually go with the 4 ohm setting. However, with most modern receivers if the speakers are really trying to draw more power than is available, the receiver will usually go into protection mode and shut off before it, or the speakers, start melting down.

If you use customized drivers then check their impedance curve to see if they don't fall into above segment.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

I am running 4 ohms speaker with my Denon 3400 for more than a year now.I have never felt any issue.Personally I felt, I was getting best sound when using default setting of 8 ohm.So I have never changed it.

If you feel you are missing something or need peace of mind then get an additional amp to handle your front pieces so that your 2400 can handle surround and heights at 6 ohm
2400 doesn’t have pre-outs.

there is a clause, read that carefully:
Now there are some extreme cases where you may have a speaker that can dip down into sub 4 ohm impedance for significant portions of their curves. In those rare cases, you may want to actually go with the 4 ohm setting. However, with most modern receivers if the speakers are really trying to draw more power than is available, the receiver will usually go into protection mode and shut off before it, or the speakers, start melting down.

If you use customized drivers then check their impedance curve to see if they don't fall into above segment.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, hve read that carefully. In general usage our speakers are rated between 6 to 8 ohms & as mentioned the sub 4 ohm case where the speaker dips may be very rare & the current receivers have the protection circuits to shut down before causing any damage to the speaker.
In the article they have mentioned to keep the impedance setting at the highest setting which in most cases may be 8 ohm setting. & let the receiver power the speakers accordingly since the impedance value of a speaker is never fixed & changes as per the frequency it is producing. I would not throttle the power of my receiver for everyday playback just for the sake of that sub 4 ohm condition which may or may not happen.

I am by no means an expert on this but there is a general consensus regarding impedance to leave it at the default 8 Ohm setting on the receiver.

For the heating issue, you can use one of the Laptop cooling pads as AvReceiver cooling pads are way expensive in our country. I am using Laptop cooling fans with both my AV receiver and Power amp and the heating issue is completely gone.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back