Speaker Placement Help

Haren Asher

Hey Guys!

Am back after long hiatus! ..

Looking at buying the Q AV Flat panel speakers from Q Acoustics. Basically because Having Bookshelves sticking out of the walls and over our heads doesn't look like a nice prospect.

Now coming to placement. Where do i place them? .. have done a picture to explain my room setting. hopefully it will help.

Am currently working with Q 2010's for fronts, a JBL center and a sonodyne subwoofer (Roar 1) ..

so based on the picture.. where is the ideal position to place the speakers. I dont have the option of experimenting with different positions so with one shot i need to get it right:D ..

suggestion / opinions welcome.

P.s I havent bought the speakers (the rears) yet.. so any other similar / discrete speakers within 8-10k suggestions?

Last edited:
I know this is more than what you were looking for :D

2 widely known ways to place speakers...yourself
http://www.cardas.com/pdf/roomsetup.pdf
WASP: speakers placement [English]

Hey!

Thanks for the links.

Going Through the Suggested Speaker placements for these speakers, they say i can fit them either on the top skirting (where the wall meets the ceiling) or bottom .. apart from the standard practice of putting them up in the center)

What is the ideal height at which rear speakers need to be? at ear level or higher.

I get that the rear speakers or "surround speakers" .. generally will not be receiving all the channels, and only the designated channels required for surround effect, especially for movies.

In Both the links you mention the listening position is variable based on ideal placement calculations. Its doesn't work for me as my sitting position and the Front/center are fixed alread.

My only issue is with the rears. Attaching another sketch of the wall and room dimensions and hopefully things will be clearer. have jotted 3 possible points of speaker placement. The room size is 17(L)x11(W)x9(H) feet.

so based on my superb skill in ms Paint, .. hopefully things dont get even more muddled.

Last edited:
I know this is more than what you were looking for :D

2 widely known ways to place speakers...yourself
http://www.cardas.com/pdf/roomsetup.pdf
WASP: speakers placement [English]

Last night I followed partially the instructions of WASP. I didn't do the part about identifying the neutral zones but my take-away from reading the article was to move the speakers further away from the back wall. This is I did by moving the speakers almost 3 feet from the back wall, from the earlier 2 feet. Much of the boom I experienced has gone away.

Further tweak was to toe in at a more acute angle so that from listening position I could just see the inner sides of the speakers. I "think" this sharpened the focus. Needs further confirmation and perhaps more tweaks. And perhaps a more anal retentive view of the listening distance:) So far, listening position is by approximation and not by the ruler.

Even further tweak was to move the speakers closer to the side wall (to about 6 inches from earlier 12 inches). Again, I "think" this has widened the stage. Speaker separation has increased from earlier 6 feet to about 7+.

But a definite improvement was a better defined and better quality bass. Which also somehow translated to lesser bass overall.

So I guess this will continue some more.

Earlier, I have read the Cardas method but found the mathematical requirements wholly impracticable in my room. If I were to follow the advices of Cardas method, I would have may be less than 4 feet of separation between the speakers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back