Speaker position as well as what constitutes “real” sound

vivek_r

Hi,

Thought this will be a fun read and some exercise for people if they want to try speaker positioning. (And further irritate the family)

However, interestingly, see what constitutes real sound - a slight tilt down from bass into treble in room response. Was speaking to a FM sometime ago and I said concert halls for w classical also probably like that.

And some studies. There was a nice article on regonaudio (a fellow BBC type speaker enthusiast) I read a while ago, but it does not open. There are many scholarly articles for those inclined, if you google.

Of course, the sound you prefer is linked to your musical tastes. As for me, I believe classical (western) recordings are a good reference point for system tone evaluation as even in concerts there is no amplification (but your seat and concert hall makes a difference!!!)

Very informative article. @Sandip Das for your review.

I calibrating in more tough in cases like mine where its in a hall with one side open (no immediate wall). In such cases calibration with room EQ apps (like REW) may be more relevant but not that they are fast and requires time and effort. Wish all Stereos came with Audyssey aids or own DSP like in some high ends like Kii audio.

Having RT60 around 0.3 s will be ideal but quite difficult to achieve in normal domestic room without serious treatment. If you achieve good definition greater than 80% to 90% from 100 Hz to 20 kHz then it's quite good. The latest version of REW has clarity for both music and vocals and also the definition curve. I have been trying to achieve a reasonable definition in my setup with little success. I am happy that with my effort I could achieve a faster EDT. I am months/ years away from getting the ideal definition for my setup.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back