Speaker Stand for Onkyo 3300

mittal_v2002

I am planning to get the speaker stands made from a carpenter because the wall mounting is not working out with the existing decor in my room for the front left/right speakers. I am on a tight budget... :). wifey is not very happy with me spending so much on TV, HTiB, Blu Ray... so any additional expenses have to be limited ..heheheheeeeeee

Need some inputs regarding the construction material and the basic things to keep in mind while designing the stands. The main query is,

The design is going to be very simple, perhaps made out of MDF or ply board. which one should be used and any particular reason to chose one over the other ?

Also, I understand after reading some reviews that if the stand is hollow and light weight, it will have negative impact on the sound quality ? The height of stands is going to be between 18 and 24 inch. How can I make these reasonably heavy and what are the cheaper options to fill the hollow space other than sand.

What should be an acceptable weight of stand to keep it firm and reduce the vibrations, keeping in mind the weight and size of Onkyo 3300 front speakers.

Can I go with a flat surface at bottom like wood board only or Spikes (and spike shoes to avoid damaging the floor) are a must. I reviewed some of the DIY posts about the speaker stands, and people have mixed implementations. Do these speakers make enough low frequency sound that it would need a vibration controller at all ? Currently the speakers are just sitting on the TV rack.

Cheers

I am planning to get the speaker stands made from a carpenter because the wall mounting is not working out with the existing decor in my room for the front left/right speakers. I am on a tight budget... :). wifey is not very happy with me spending so much on TV, HTiB, Blu Ray... so any additional expenses have to be limited ..heheheheeeeeee

Need some inputs regarding the construction material and the basic things to keep in mind while designing the stands. The main query is,

The design is going to be very simple, perhaps made out of MDF or ply board. which one should be used and any particular reason to chose one over the other ?

Also, I understand after reading some reviews that if the stand is hollow and light weight, it will have negative impact on the sound quality ? The height of stands is going to be between 18 and 24 inch. How can I make these reasonably heavy and what are the cheaper options to fill the hollow space other than sand.

What should be an acceptable weight of stand to keep it firm and reduce the vibrations, keeping in mind the weight and size of Onkyo 3300 front speakers.

Can I go with a flat surface at bottom like wood board only or Spikes (and spike shoes to avoid damaging the floor) are a must. I reviewed some of the DIY posts about the speaker stands, and people have mixed implementations. Do these speakers make enough low frequency sound that it would need a vibration controller at all ? Currently the speakers are just sitting on the TV rack.

Cheers

It is better to buy it from the market than to make it through a carpenter. There are several models and best one would be the multi direction tilting model. It has got cool looks and priced around Rs.900/- per pair.

where u get 900 / pair of stands in chennai @mathan.........

In Ritchie Street, Mount road, Majestic Plaza. I don't exactly remember the shop name. However it was two years back when I bought Philips HTS 3107 HTIB. They were also available with Delta Peripheral in Nakoda Plaza. The prices might have gone up couple of hundred rupees more now.

It is better to buy it from the market than to make it through a carpenter. There are several models and best one would be the multi direction tilting model. It has got cool looks and priced around Rs.900/- per pair.

Thanks for the pointers. I will check this today on ebay..

However, do you have any pics of the stands that you have bought.. 900/- a pair seems tempting..

Kittu: its the same on eBay. He made custom speaker stands with granite instead of glass for me. The courier guys broke one granite so he is sending me a replacement. I am waiting for that to post a detailed review.

But overall is impressed with them.

You can talk to Nikil at +919867412691. He is based out of Mumbai. You can refer my name or our forum

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back