speaker stands, sand filling

amateur

Hi All,

what type of sand should be filled in the speaker stands ? I assume it's finely sieved one, dry one. Is it right ? May be a basic question - where do you get such fine sand in Chennai - I believe any hardware store should be ok. Or any other thing should be considered.

Is it necessary to fill sand and/or why sand filling is required ?

Hi All,

what type of sand should be filled in the speaker stands ? I assume it's finely sieved one, dry one. Is it right ? May be a basic question - where do you get such fine sand in Chennai - I believe any hardware store should be ok. Or any other thing should be considered.

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. You can consider heating/roasting the sand first before doing the filling (to kill off insects)

2. You can also consider putting the sand in thin cloth or even pastic bags instead of directly pouring in the sand. This will keep things tidier. Of course, the bags have to be thin so that they mould into shape instead of leaving too many voids.

As per my understanding, the quality of sand itself is not important, the density is - you could even use small stones instead of sand. Hygiene is probably a bigger factor. Of course, I will let the senior members correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I think glass cutters use fine white or red sand, you can try and procure that. Should less than 12/- kg?

Regards

thanks much for the repies.

roasting the sand is an option to kill off insects as well to remove the dampness. Otherwise, I guess it may ruin internally (may be can cause rust also). plastic bags - not sure if I can find any

On glass cutters using a specific sand, where do I get them and how do I ask for it ?

Appreciate if there also any other suggestion.

Because of the size, sand occupies very little space and creates a dense and heavy material when poured into a crevice.

Stones, pebbles and other such material will leave large air gaps, and could create rattling sound with little vibration. They could also crumble with time and leave dust at the bottom.

The best is to ensure the bottom of the tube is airtight and just fill the tube with fine dry sand.

In Chennai, you have the whole beach to pick sand from. On a weekend, take a sack, go to the beach, hire one of the local boys and ask him to fill the sack and load it in your car. It will cost you ten rupees.

Alternatively, all shops that sell construction material can sell sand to you.

Cheers

In Chennai, you have the whole beach to pick sand from. On a weekend, take a sack, go to the beach, hire one of the local boys and ask him to fill the sack and load it in your car. It will cost you ten rupees.

[Amateur] Nice idea :)

[Amateur] I will go with this option to get the fine sieved sand , hopefully I will get it.

Because of the size, sand occupies very little space and creates a dense and heavy material when poured into a crevice.

Stones, pebbles and other such material will leave large air gaps, and could create rattling sound with little vibration. They could also crumble with time and leave dust at the bottom.

The best is to ensure the bottom of the tube is airtight and just fill the tube with fine dry sand.

Cheers

Irrespective of where you get the sand from, it is not going to be as well sieved and as clean as you want for your speaker stands. What I would suggest is to get a plastic sieve that is used for atta from a kitchen utensils shop. Used that to clean the sand, and when done, throw the sieve away.

This is a bit laborious but, at the end of the day, you will get clean and fine sand.

Cheers

Last edited:
If it is in contact with steel parts (and I think, that for most people, it is going to be filling a steel tube?) then absence of salt is going to be very important. If it comes from a beach, even well above the high-tide line, it should be very well washed. Even if it comes from a dealer, it might not be worth the risk of not washing it. The last thing anybody wants to see is corrosion that has worked its way all the way through from the inside, and, by the time you did see it, it would be disastrous.

If it is in contact with steel parts (and I think, that for most people, it is going to be filling a steel tube?) then absence of salt is going to be very important. If it comes from a beach, even well above the high-tide line, it should be very well washed. Even if it comes from a dealer, it might not be worth the risk of not washing it. The last thing anybody wants to see is corrosion that has worked its way all the way through from the inside, and, by the time you did see it, it would be disastrous.

hi Thad E Ginathom -

galvanised mild-steel which is 1.5 mm (tubular) thick will maintain structural strength for at least 10 years in tropical climates - even if exposed to (medium term) corrosive attacks {unwashed beach-sourced sand} - even, perhaps, 15 years.

- given that period of time -

if the drivers (of that supported speaker) are exposed to that environment (sea-breeze - coastal climate - laden with brine)-

the drivers would only last 5 years - the surrounds would dis-integrate in this time-frame.

the best place to maintain speaker systems would be -

away from the coast - inland - with temperate weather.

regds
suri

Silica is another name for Silicon Dioxide. It is the most common constituent of sand and is essentially quartz that has been washed and broken down by water over may years.

Sand is a general term and consists of many rock, minerals and chemicals. Generally any natural element that is in the size of between 1/16th of a millimetre to 2 millimetre is called sand.

In addition to silica, sand is composed differently in different parts of the world. The most common is high magnetite or iron content and this comes from volcanic sites. This sand is yellow in colour. In many tropical parts of the world, sand contains a high level of lime, and this is white in color.

Pure silica sand is one that has less contamination of other minerals and chemicals. This is found in many places in the word that are primarily non-tropical. Even river bed sand would have a higher content of silica and less of other chemicals. Pure silica, for example, is used in the manufacture of electronic integrated circuits, glass and other substances.

Setting aside all this, for our use, silica is sand. Unless you want to spend a lot of money, just pick up good sand from a shop or from the beach, sieve it, dry it, and you are good to go.

Cheers

Great Explanation!!!!!!, thanks much

I presume for our Chennai climate, normal dried sand should be good enough. My only worry is the dampness that may corrode the inside of the stand. The dampness which I think will go away after it's dried in the sun and sieved.

Thanks much

Please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.

Silica is another name for Silicon Dioxide. It is the most common constituent of sand and is essentially quartz that has been washed and broken down by water over may years.

Sand is a general term and consists of many rock, minerals and chemicals. Generally any natural element that is in the size of between 1/16th of a millimetre to 2 millimetre is called sand.

In addition to silica, sand is composed differently in different parts of the world. The most common is high magnetite or iron content and this comes from volcanic sites. This sand is yellow in colour. In many tropical parts of the world, sand contains a high level of lime, and this is white in color.

Pure silica sand is one that has less contamination of other minerals and chemicals. This is found in many places in the word that are primarily non-tropical. Even river bed sand would have a higher content of silica and less of other chemicals. Pure silica, for example, is used in the manufacture of electronic integrated circuits, glass and other substances.

Setting aside all this, for our use, silica is sand. Unless you want to spend a lot of money, just pick up good sand from a shop or from the beach, sieve it, dry it, and you are good to go.

Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back