Speaker Stands: Wood or Metal ?

Prodigy

Hi All,

I am off work for the next 10days, so I was planning to get a pair of Bookshelf Speaker Stand made. One doubt that’s been running in my mind for the last couple of days and I couldn’t find a realistic answer for it in couple of online forums so thought of posting this here.

I have two options:
1) Wooden Stands : I have some spare Rose Wood solid log lying at home W6”X D6” & L7feet. I am planning to use this and make stands for my Elac B6.2 Speakers. For the base I am planning to use any other wood planks of 3” thickness of 14 X 14 and top plate made either from wood or 6mm Metal plate or Wood again.

2) Metal Stands: I am planning to buy the 4” Square Metal Tube cut as per the requirement and use 6mm meat sheet as top / bottom base and fill it up with dry sand to make it heavy.

Which one do you think is best ? Will Wood stand made from solid log have negative effects on sound?
I am going to use these on tiled flooring. Please suggest.

The idea is that the stands should be sturdy and not wobble with the bass notes.
Secondly the speakers should be well isolated from the stand so that they pass on least of the enclosure resonance to the stand.
Similarly the stand should be isolated from the floor.
A solid rubber bush will do the job well for speaker base.

I use a full wood stand, with plywood pieces on the top and bottom, and two tree trunks in between. So it is super heavy and sturdy.
In your case, you can use the logs, I would suggest use two to four per stand depending on the girth. Logs being fibrous will also have a kind of cushion effect as compared to metal stands.
Metal stands too are a nice way to go about it. You can use a hollow cylindrical metal piece and full it with sand to add weight.
Sand filled PVC pipes are also one other option.
I had made quite a few PVC stands for my friends, and they were quite sturdy.

I made a mistake in measurement while getting the logs cut. Ensure that the stands are not too high, preferably so that the tweeters are closer to the ear height.

IMG_20181221_152830.jpg

IMG_20181221_152836.jpg

Sturdy and antiresonance is all you need to accomplish. So metal filled with sand, or solid wood which ever is heavier depending on the wood of choice or metal is what you need to make. Both with clever engineering can sound decent without being heavy also, but that's too much effort of thinking and learning for accomolishing the same which a heavier stand can do. Unless it's businessworthy it's not worth your time.

The idea is that the stands should be sturdy and not wobble with the bass notes.
Secondly the speakers should be well isolated from the stand so that they pass on least of the enclosure resonance to the stand.
Similarly the stand should be isolated from the floor.
A solid rubber bush will do the job well for speaker base.

I use a full wood stand, with plywood pieces on the top and bottom, and two tree trunks in between. So it is super heavy and sturdy.
In your case, you can use the logs, I would suggest use two to four per stand depending on the girth. Logs being fibrous will also have a kind of cushion effect as compared to metal stands.
Metal stands too are a nice way to go about it. You can use a hollow cylindrical metal piece and full it with sand to add weight.
Sand filled PVC pipes are also one other option.
I had made quite a few PVC stands for my friends, and they were quite sturdy.

I made a mistake in measurement while getting the logs cut. Ensure that the stands are not too high, preferably so that the tweeters are closer to the ear height.

View attachment 32532

View attachment 32533
Mr Kannan, Thank you very much for your response. You have an awesome Stand. Quite rustic showcasing the wood as is. I assume the 1st wood I see with a nice bark is a Guava tree.
Your feedback is quite motivating. I went looking for 8mm metal sheet today all over the place I live in Coorg and couldn’t find one vendor who has it. Everyone I spoke to suggested me to to go to Mysore (only close by big city) to find those.
I have finalised in sticking to wood now. That’s the best is what I feel and I will definitely look forward to adding some spikes to the bottom plank and use some rubber pads between the speakers and the top plate.
I am looking at something like below and will definitely try to make it atleast 20kg per stand, hoping it to perform well.
Please advise on your thoughts for the design I am opting for!

Attachments

• A0B6BEA9-4F5B-4362-AA0C-68B855DCCD14.jpeg
    A0B6BEA9-4F5B-4362-AA0C-68B855DCCD14.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 29
Sturdy and antiresonance is all you need to accomplish. So metal filled with sand, or solid wood which ever is heavier depending on the wood of choice or metal is what you need to make. Both with clever engineering can sound decent without being heavy also, but that's too much effort of thinking and learning for accomolishing the same which a heavier stand can do. Unless it's businessworthy it's not worth your time.
Hi Hifitoaster,
I completely agree and will definitely make it as heave as possible. What I am using is a fully seasoned wood and rose wood is quite heavy when compared to other soft wood.
This is for personal use only and I wanted to get a stand made simple coz the stands available from reputable brands as as expensive as my Elac B6.2’s.
I feel spending 25k for a pair of stand is not worth.

A very nice design. Just ensure that the top plank is wide enough to accommodate the entire surface of the speaker and no portion is extending outside the boundary.

I assume the 1st wood I see with a nice bark is a Guava tree.
Yes it is from the trunk of a Guava tree that fell in my neighbor's compound during the cyclone in 2016. The other if I re,member right is Neem.
Ofcourse it is very very crude, but functional as I had minimalistic tools in hand with zero carpentry skills.

Hi Hifitoaster,
I completely agree and will definitely make it as heave as possible. What I am using is a fully seasoned wood and rose wood is quite heavy when compared to other soft wood.
This is for personal use only and I wanted to get a stand made simple coz the stands available from reputable brands as as expensive as my Elac B6.2’s.
I feel spending 25k for a pair of stand is not worth.

Hmmm ...
Save the wood for other stuff. It will never be as heavy as sand filled metal column.
Source steel from Bengaluru, its cheaper and you can get it machine milled + powder coated to execute.
Use round tubes for column; it may be easier to work with.

Have you checked Sound Foundation stands, they have a nice range; no idea about current prices.
Check HiFimart.
Cheers,
Raghu

Metal or Wood does not matter as long as they are of right height and sturdy. I would prefer metal stands with sand filled PVC enclosing the center column. The flexibility offered is in the amount of Sand you want to fill that suits your taste. Having the B6, you are not short on bass, fill up sand till almost 3/4 of the height for nice tight and clean bass. Can adjust the amount of sand as per taste.

MaSh

Hmmm ...
Save the wood for other stuff. It will never be as heavy as sand filled metal column.
Source steel from Bengaluru, its cheaper and you can get it machine milled + powder coated to execute.
Use round tubes for column; it may be easier to work with.

Have you checked Sound Foundation stands, they have a nice range; no idea about current prices.
Check HiFimart.
Cheers,
Raghu
Ha ha ha Raghu and MaSh. You both are just awesome. You both are always think very realistic and out of the box always.

I know! Steel is always a steel and nothing can be as heavy as it. I am trying to mix and match both if possible. All depends on my carpenter tomorrow. I was planning to have 8mm 14x14” base and 16mm sheet of 10”x12” as top.

Check out Mr Murthy on Commercial Street, Bangalore. He's very popular with Bangalore members. He does all kinds of things. Cables, racks, stands.
He has been recommended several times on the forum.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/stereo-rack-required.66577/#post-733136
Hello Naturelover, Sure! I will definitely check but I feel doing something on my own preference will be much more satisfying as I have some good wood lying with me.
But that said, I will reach out to him and see what’s he got in store. Will keep you posted!

I know! Steel is always a steel and nothing can be as heavy as it. I am trying to mix and match both if possible. All depends on my carpenter tomorrow. I was planning to have 8mm 14x14” base and 16mm sheet of 10”x12” as top.

Are the highlighted dimensions for steel plate? If so, it may be overkill. 6 mm thickness will do the trick.
You have rosewood, you want to use it. I do dabble in carpentry from time to time; so I know the itch.
It will give a premium look to stands.
If using wood, choose timber close to rosewood in color/grain for top and base (definitely base).

I don't know much about the science of stands. Only read that they help "suspend" the speaker in free space.
Some articles say stands couple the speaker to the floor, some say they decouple them.
I "choose" to believe they decouple them :)

Cheers,
Raghu

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back