Speaker suggestion for Sony str dn1050

Hi Vinoth, first thing first. Get a step down transformer from Richie street Maxine and run the AVR. 99.99 % probability is it would start immdly after pressing the power on button for 5 seconds. Chances for the transformer burnt down is rare just by switching on the quipment. So do not worry at all.

If you are from chennai, By this time you should have got a step down transformer with a capacity of 500w

Hi Pakecc,

I am from chennai only but right now I am in hyderabad. Can you please send me a link which has a correct step down transformer for my receiver?

I am going to buy step down transformer now. Can you guys please tell me which transformer is well suitable for me? I have selected the following. Is that okay?

Receiver supports 110V 60HZ and 240 Watts.

Buy MAXINE .25 KVA Step Down Transformer Watts 250 - SD 250 Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

I am waiting for your reply guys.

Specification of DN 1050 says that the operating power is 240w and henc eit is better to go for .5 kva. Maxine brand is well reputed. I'm using a isolation type step down transformer 500W which I got it for 4600/- after custom ordering over phone. Normally all shops will be having non isolation type only. Since you have invested more than 50k in this product, better go for a isolation type step down transformer.

Guys I bought Maxine 500W 110V step down transformer and tried connecting with my AVR. But nothing happened it is not at all turning on. Now the power button itself is not getting on.

Please tell me what happened to the receiver?

It could be damaged since its not meant to take the electric load you were trying to feed into it. Once you get a step down transformer then see if it functions normally.

Guys I bought Maxine 500W 110V step down transformer and tried connecting with my AVR. But nothing happened it is not at all turning on. Now the power button itself is not getting on.

Please tell me what happened to the receiver?

First ensure that the step down TF is working correctly. Secondly it Could be anything from a blown fuse or burning up of some component in the power supply. A technician would be able to diagnose.

Last edited:
I am sure that the transformer is working fine. But still there is no power indicator from the receiver..
My question is what could be damaged? Transformer or some fuse in the receiver?
I am afraid...

How can anybody tell what is wrong with the box without looking into it. We can only give probable issues that might have happened but an expert only would be able to decipher the issue.
I already said, you would need a technician to open it for you and see what component went kaput if any.

I checked with sony engineer from sony service center. He said that fuse got blown. Right now he does not have the fuse with him so he will be back on tomorrow to service this.

I asked him that if we replace the fuse will everything work? and he answered because of the fuse I cant check anything else so I can say only if I replace the fuse.

But My doubt is that, if fuse got blown then nothing could be passed to the transformer right? Transformer will be good right?

Thank you guys for all your support and answers.

I will buy it for sure. Nothing had happened to my new receiver so far right? Because I plugged in directly to wall socket...????/

You have already connected the AVR directly to 220v main without step-down transformer to cause the damage. It must have blown the fuse due to over current. The AVR is supposed to work only at 110V. Now whether it caused any further damage, only the technician can say after checking it. So wait for him to check your AVR.

But I am not sure how much the Sony service center will be equipped to service the AVR. Sony India do not have the AVR in the product lineup and they may not have the parts readily available.

Usually for international purchase the warranty will not be applicable in India.Getting the paid service itself is a concern with many brands.

Why do you jump the gun. If you want immediate answers to your queries use google and read up.
What the technician said is correct. Wait for him to install the fuse and then tell you what the fault is.
It is slightly hard to imagine that you bought a product from US without first going through the simple details like wattage and local service.

Last edited:
You could have very well got any other brand in india and saved on some extra efforts of transformer and all and now no warranty stuff. Nonetheless you should be careful next time...... Which i guess you will try and avoid buying internationally

Thank you bigron and rayvonnee.

Technician came and checked the receiver. Fuse had gone. But it is not working even we changed it. He checked the internal transformer, other BT boards and all. Everything is working fine but still receiver is not turning on.

He told me to get receiver to the service center where some other technician will you. He said most probably the problem with the board which is attached in the front panel..

I am planning to take it to service center today.

Thank you bigron and rayvonnee.

Technician came and checked the receiver. Fuse had gone. But it is not working even we changed it. He checked the internal transformer, other BT boards and all. Everything is working fine but still receiver is not turning on.

He told me to get receiver to the service center where some other technician will you. He said most probably the problem with the board which is attached in the front panel..

I am planning to take it to service center today.

Well its good to see that you are getting service from sony india. Many brands even don't offer paid service for internationally bought products.

Another suspense. Service guys told that transformer inside the receiver has gone they need to change it and it costs around 3K + SERVICE CHARGE..

Adding to it, they are not sure whether it will work or not even if they replace the new transformer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what to do. I think I have received a defective piece....

Most likely not.
The fact that you have on multiple occasions tried to feed 220 into a 110 capable system the damage can be extensive.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back