Speakers for Marantz NR1602

GyaniGuni

I am based out of Kolkata.

Just got a Marantz NR1602 receiver for which I have been shortlisting speakers. Its got 50 W per channel - planning to biamp the speaker...
Room is 20 ft by 12 ft.
Primarily looking for Music-70% and movies-30%.
Planning to get two tower speakers to begin with. Would setup a 5.1 system later on as I get more free cash flows to fund this exercise.

The two tower speakers therefore need to give me a full range of sounds and should have adequate bass punch as well as carry the mids and highs well.

Had shortlisted the following speakers, which I intend to audition over this weekend:
1. Paradigm Monitor 7, 9
2. KEF C7
3. B&W 683
4. Polk TSX 440T
5. Boston Acoustics-A360
6. Dali Zensor 5, 7
7. Tannoy Mercury V4
8. SVS prime

Planning to visit the following showrooms
1. SKS Traders on Sarat Bose Road
2. Pro FX on Hindustan Road
3. Digital Acoustics on Dover Lane
4. Harmonie in New Alipore

Need some guidance on the following:
1. Best speakers for the system and the use as mentioned above
2. Prices for the speakers mentioned above
3. Which is the best showroom / or are there any showrooms that I am missing here.

Would be grateful to get some guidance on this. Am a complete newbie ! (my earlier system was a 13 yr old Philips FW-D596)

Rgds
GG

I am based out of Kolkata.

Just got a Marantz NR1602 receiver for which I have been shortlisting speakers. Its got 50 W per channel - planning to biamp the speaker...
Room is 20 ft by 12 ft.
Primarily looking for Music-70% and movies-30%.
Planning to get two tower speakers to begin with. Would setup a 5.1 system later on as I get more free cash flows to fund this exercise.

The two tower speakers therefore need to give me a full range of sounds and should have adequate bass punch as well as carry the mids and highs well.

Had shortlisted the following speakers, which I intend to audition over this weekend:
1. Paradigm Monitor 7, 9
2. KEF C7
3. B&W 683
4. Polk TSX 440T
5. Boston Acoustics-A360
6. Dali Zensor 5, 7
7. Tannoy Mercury V4
8. SVS prime

Planning to visit the following showrooms
1. SKS Traders on Sarat Bose Road
2. Pro FX on Hindustan Road
3. Digital Acoustics on Dover Lane
4. Harmonie in New Alipore

Need some guidance on the following:
1. Best speakers for the system and the use as mentioned above
2. Prices for the speakers mentioned above
3. Which is the best showroom / or are there any showrooms that I am missing here.

Would be grateful to get some guidance on this. Am a complete newbie ! (my earlier system was a 13 yr old Philips FW-D596)

Rgds
GG

I would actually skip SVS prime if your usage is 70% music. A better alternative would be Jamo Concert series C97 (100K). I had an audition of it today with Marantz 5008 and it was pretty good. very good highs, lows and acceptable mids.
Better option than Paradigm Monitor 9 is PSB X2T (100K)

1602 is quite under-powered for the 5.1 route you intend to take with the listed FS speakers, IMO !

I agree. However, received it as a gift and as a starting point. Want speakers which would outlast the receiver, so that I can upgrade the receiver at a later date.

With this in view, would love to hear some suggestions.

Would also like some feedback on whether it has complete clarity at low volume. Need to keep the volume down as my kid goes to sleep early.

50 w per channel pretty well removes many of the speaker options you have shortlisted. They would need more than that.
Also look for 8 ohm and high sensitivity speakers (85-86 db will not cut it, more like 90 db and above, if you just want to use the amp you have received as a gift).
The following speakers may not be driven adequately by the amp you have
C97 from Jamo (6 ohm and minimum 60 w required)
PSB X2T (8 ohm but higher than 50w required)
Dali Zensor 7
Paradigm 9
SVS prime

Monitor Audio speakers have a sensitivity of 90 dB. PSB Image series were also near about that. Dali has in the upper 80s.
This is a 5.1 amp. How do you intend to bi-amp? Or is that only for now?

When u said bi-amp, i believe you meant using external amplifier... If you meant to bi-amp with AVR alone, then Floor standers aren't a wiser choice...

These NR series is best for satellite speaker systems... At best you can add BS...

BS can do a decent job in your room size.. Take a demo of BS and check if the bass is sufficient...

1 pair of MA BX2 (as fronts) + 1 pair of MA BX1 (as rears) + MA centre + a good sub later should do fine for your room.

I second Elangoas. FS maybe overkill and may not even work properly. BS speakers are ideal. There are so many options in it that you would be spoilt for choice. Get good speaker stands and they would be as good as FS for your room size.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back