Speakers for Onkyo 608

trsb1971

Hi All,

Hello everybody, I am Suresh from Bangalore. Am new to this AV World. Primary Interest is to setup a Home Theater at home. Got a good offer for Onkyo 608 in Dubai and purchased the same.

Current Setup
Samsung LED 46"
LG Bluray Player
Onkyo 608 AVR

Living Room Size - 17 Ft * 17 Ft

Budget Allocated for Speakers : 35K to 40K, Willing to stretch another 5K

Am now looking for good speakers. One of the vendor suggested Tannoy & Polk RM 6750. Sounded Good. But for a good receiver like 608, i felt the speakers of lower configuration.

Now i decided to buy Bookshelf speakers with Subwoofer and Centre Speaker.

Can anyone suggest the good brand, configuration of speakers which goes well with Onkyo 608. One of the vendor also told me that connecting a lesser output speaker would damage the speakers as the input from AVR is more and i need to buy better speakers.

Appreciate ur inputs...

Energy, CA minx , Deftech pro cinema 600, Paradigm cinema 110 ct, mirage nanosat and wharf cinema package are available in your budget.

Audition these brands and see which one you like the most. 17*17 is your living room , out of this what is the exact listening area .

My personal choice would be deftech and paradigm.

Good Luck.
Kittu

Can u suggest the dealers for Deftech pro cinema 600 in bangalore.
Since the AVR is THX certified, would it be a good option to buy THX certified speakers as well.

suresh

got to audition the PSB SPEAKERS. Bookshelf B5, Centre C5, psb sub and paradigm satellites. SOunds impressive. Decided to go ahead with the combination, but can u suggest some more dealers for PSB in Bangalore so that i can work out on the pricing

Suresh

got to audition the PSB SPEAKERS. Bookshelf B5, Centre C5, psb sub and paradigm satellites. SOunds impressive. Decided to go ahead with the combination, but can u suggest some more dealers for PSB in Bangalore so that i can work out on the pricing

Suresh

How much is the above package costing? What is the MRP and discount percentage offered?
What are the other options you have auditioned?

Suresh

You can also checkout heco, paradigm 110ct and canton speakers . Search the forum , you can find the dealer contacts.

Model and Prices as quoted
PSB C5 Centre - 22,000/-
PSB B5 Bookshelf - 23000/- per pair
Def Tech Satellites - 35000/- per pair
PSB SubSeries 1 Subwoofer - 24000/-

Discount offered is 5% overall

i feel prices are high compared to other brands
Suresh

Hello everybody, I am Suresh from Bangalore. Am new to this AV World. Primary Interest is to setup a Home Theater at home. Got a good offer for Onkyo 608 in Dubai and purchased the same.
It is highly advised to buy your speakers first, then the amp. Since you have already bought your amp, note that your choices for fronts are now very limited! Matching speakers and amp is critical. You no longer have the liberty to buy any speakers that are recommended or any that you like now or any that fall in your budget. The way to go is audition as many speakers as possible as different speakers sound good for different ears. But auditioning is not easy. There are too many choices in speakers and everything sound different some way or the other, your choice maybe different,movies over music....or vice versa, you might like bright sounding speakers or a little laid back speakers...and so on. So you have a difficult choice to make in the speakers. Also they speakers are biggest factor in determining sound quality. The factors that determine sound quality is (In this order), Speakers, Room Acoustics, Amps (Cables, ect are overrated, dont bother paying big money for expensive cables, they make very little difference...having said that you can always find cables that give you problems). Do a Google on this.

Once you decide on your fronts the center is highly timber matched. So your choice on center is almost automatic for center. So once you decide on the fronts then your choice on amp can be made. Surrounds and sub are largely flexible such you can even use other manufacturers stuf.
There are numerous instances where mismatched amps have forced unsatisfied consumers to buy a new amp within days, so be aware. Do a Google search on - Speakers or amp first and research why (you do need a little background on electronics to understand why) :)

The idea of coming to this forum was to find out what people would suggest the same or people already using Onkyo 608 to put put across their speaker combination. Yes, i am checking out various speaker brands and i agree it is a very difficult process.

Since you have already bought the AVR, take your own AVR and CDs for the auditioning, if possible. That is the best way to go.

@OP: Did u audition any speakers yet? Onkyo is a good amount on the brighter side mate, be really careful in pairing.Wharfedales are a safe bet.Try Paradigm also, u might like it.It would be best if u would just buy a pair of floorstanders for 25-30k now, and get matching center and surrounds for another 30k later down the line.That ought to give an overall better experience.

It would be best if u would just buy a pair of floorstanders for 25-30k now, and get matching center and surrounds for another 30k later down the line.
Floor standing speakers priced at less than 500 US$ (US speaker prices, not converted Indian prices), are usually compromised in quality and lacking in many aspects. Disappointment guaranteed!! (unless it is your first system - you will never kno it sounds not so gr8 :)). Only one model which is priced around 350$ is good from all the research I have done, but it's not yet available in India... the Infinity Primus P363. Other than for this, if you are eying floor standers they better be above the 500$ range, few options here...and 1000$ range u have really good ones.
So if your price is fixed in this lower range, you shd get bookshelves. In general, Bookshelves tend to have better quality drivers with construction and much better imaging than floorstanding models when compared to ones of the same price range. This holds true for even 500$ & 1000$ range bookshelves. But, bookshelves lack in Bass! Not to worry, setting up a subwoofer along with quality bookshelves can negate the "floor standing" models effect. The reason why you should go for floor standing models, is to play louder in a BIG room to get 'room filling sound' (there are some bookshelves that can do this really well too).

And don't listen to advice which says bass wont be that good with a sub as compared to floor standing. If paired & placed well, all will be well. Also since @ lower frequencies, "the sound is localized", meaning you can't pin point the source (upto around 100Hz), you wont know the source of bass sounds. If sub or floorstanding is placed badly, then you can pin point the source.

Hence it really dosen't matter much if you sub or floor standing is playing bass, as when placed well you really wont know where the lower frequencies are actually emerging from. In fact it is advised to set your crossovers to a little higher value (80 Hz THX recommended) and let the sub handle it (Both floor standing & bookshelves). But, if your room is small, then 80Hz is higher value as you can have certain acoustic problems. Hence ~60 Hz is recommended for smaller rooms (need to experiment for different rooms).

Last edited:
Auditioned Wharfdale 10.1 Front and Sub. But heard a lot of thuds. Definitely clear that it eas because of the Sub. The dealer told me that was because of bigger sub he used. Whatever it is i was not impressed. So far whatever audition i have had, i liked the PSB bookshelves and Sub. Polk was the next. But in both cases Amp was Denon. Anyway this weekend i am taking Onkyo 608 for the auditioning and will ask all dealers to connect the speakers what i am going to buy.

Air your opinion on PSB Image B5 Bookshelves, SubSeries 1 Sub and Image C5 Centre
Polk Tsi Series Bookshelves, PSW 110 Sub, CS 10 Centre

Denon and Onkyo are bright AVRs. So there wont be much difference but yes if the dealer will play on NAD, then you can get confused because NAD is on the warm side.

I would suggest, instead of thinking of Polk and Warf which are both bright, give EPOS a try. If you liked PSB then definitely you will love EPOS. They are very high quality speakers and the bass is tight, vocals are clear and overall audio is very balanced. You can listen to these speakers for hours and wont feel tired. Even at high volume you wont feel pain in your ears which you will in any bright speaker. PSB image is good but not as good as EPOS as per my opinion.

Good luck for your setup. Don't buy anything quickly. Take your time and be patient. It takes a lot of time to understand audio.

Back