Speakers for Trance music - But near field listening

1235sam

So the quest for the Audio Nirvana Continues !
This is quite long post But I think my situation is very complicated due to musical taste and small listing area. So your inputs are required :)

My Current Setup Logitech Z2300 2.1. Now this is considered as one if best 2.1 with room shaking bass. Audiophiles hates though :p Currently I enjoy it though but clarity and instrument separation is not good. Also bass quality is not great Hence the upgrade

Computer Sound card : Asus Xonar DX

Room Size: Now that is where problem starts - Room is 10 X 13. But My listening position is close to speakers - Max 2.5-3 feet away and distance between speakers would be again 2.5 feets. I am planning to keep them on computer table. And I will be listening while using my PC

Total Upgrade Budget 35k. But can stretch upto 50k if its really worth. As I am going to keep this system for least couple of years untill next upgrade bug bites me :p

Music taste Trance 90 percent . Love loads of quality bass and especially sub bass . Yes I am bass head :p I get the bass from my Z2300's massive sub. But at the same time mid and high and clarity should be adequate for trance which I am missing from current setup (Z2300)

I have tried Cerwin vega VE12f - 3 way system with 12 inch woofer - It was THE sound I was looking for - party sound with loads of energy yet refined and very clear. But as many forum suggested it was overkill for room and listening distance . So I am looking to mimic the same sound signature for for my listening position.

Option 1 : Active monitors
I think active monitors have special drivers to create near field sound
I tried R&D on active monitors like Genelics. But found they cannot produce the sound I want without Sub. One decent option I found was Swans MKii. available in India for 17k . But again bass would be less without sub . So if I can connect any other sub to Swans without degrading the sound, I think this is the best way go ( Swans + Sub) . Audioengine A5 is I think not for near field listing. But it has sub out. Again not available in India and not not near field.

Option 2 : 2.1 Setup
Now only decent 2.1 available is Swans m50w. This is available for 18k in India. But no demo available hence can decide only on the basic of research. :eek:. If its nice step up from Z 2300 without sacrificing bass I will got for this

Option 3 : Bookshelf + Sub + Amp
I am getting used Marantz PM7000 for just 10k :)
Sub : Polk Subs are available under 20k. Can go for used sub as well for VFM.
Dedicated good sub can satisfy my bass need.
I want to know is there any good bookshelf available for nearfield listening ? What what I have heard bookshelf requires minimum 5,6 feet distance for proper imaging . So If I get any bookshelf for 2,3 feet listening my problem would be solved :)

Option 4 : As it is
If I am not getting much better setup than my Z2300 for my current requirements , I will keep my setup as it is :eek: Money saved :lol:

PS:Thanks Flash (John).He is really helping me out with his knowledge and experience :clapping: Gem of a person

Last edited:
PS:Thanks Flash (John).He is really helping me out with his knowledge and experience :clapping: Gem of a person

Happy to help Sam.

However I would suggest you that you also audition Small bookshelves.

PSB Alpha B1
Alpha LR1 Monitor - PSB Speakers

PSB Image B4
Image B4 Compact Bookshelf - PSB Speakers

However to satisfy your bass head needs. You would need to add a subwoofer. A sealed sub is what you should be looking at.
However since bass management is going to be a issue. Set the crossover on the sub at the -3db roll off of the BS that u eventually pick up.

Klipsch is another brand that you would need to audition

RB-41
RB - 41 II Bookshelf Speakers (pair) | Klipsch

However I feel it would cause tremendous ear strain at a close distance. However Klipsch SS is perfect for trance

Thanks John :)
In addition to above small bookshelf, I also found wharfdale 10.0 with similar small driver
MY question is do these small drivers(3.5 compared to 5.5) actually help in producing good soundstage in nearfield. ? So if I have wharf 10.1 and 10.0 , will 10.0 sound better than 10.1 if listening position is close.
If that works I would get the marantz 7000 and sealed subwoofer. Speaker A/B from amp would go to sub and speaker A/B from sub would GO to bookshelf. Correct ME if I am wrong.

Sam have you listened to Yamaha HSM80. It is the most ideal candidate for your condition of 30 to 50 K budget + nearfield + trance music plus you can add the sub for it, though I feel you wont need it.

@sam: you can drop-in and listen to the Image B4 at my place. I also use them near-field at my workstation. I am driving them with a C326.

The best way to move from Logitech into the audiophile territory is Swan (HiVi). See if you can get their M200. The 3rd revision has more power and it should make it go loud like you want without losing composure. Even 2nd revision was a great speaker. And those are designed to be near field, so there you are set.

Sam have you listened to Yamaha HSM80. It is the most ideal candidate for your condition of 30 to 50 K budget + nearfield + trance music plus you can add the sub for it, though I feel you wont need it.

Interesting product. Surely gonna find more about these speakers and is avaialable demo :)

The best way to move from Logitech into the audiophile territory is Swan (HiVi). See if you can get their M200. The 3rd revision has more power and it should make it go loud like you want without losing composure. Even 2nd revision was a great speaker. And those are designed to be near field, so there you are set.

As mentioned in op swans do look good choice and available under 20k. If I can add dedicated sub to it I will GO for it :)

Yeah, less known manufacturer. Canadian manufacturers are not too aggressive advertisers. Though they are reasonably well known in some parts. Unfortunately, they have been reduced to multimedia segment, despite having some product that can rival with high end speakers.

As mentioned in op swans do look good choice and available under 20k. If I can add dedicated sub to it I will GO for it :)

You won't regret it. Swans do justice to music. Plus they do have dedicated subs. Their H10 could be well worth the consideration. Did you check them out? Is it available in India?

@1235sam

Recently One HFV user named stryik3r has upgraded from your same speaker which is Logitech Z2300 to the Swans M200MKII. He was also looking for the speaker especially for Trance Music as you are looking for. Here you can check his review - Swans M200MKII.

Swans M50W is the best 2.1 speaker available today in the Indian market at this price range under 30k as a complete set-up.

You will notice the big difference from logitech to Swans.

Last edited:
Update 1 : Tried PSB Image B4 at Sarang's place :)
I must say very good speakers especially for my nearfield listening.
So looks like Marantz PM7000 + PSB Image B4 + Nice sub is way to go :)

Update 1 : Tried PSB Image B4 at Sarang's place :)
I must say very good speakers especially for my nearfield listening.
So looks like Marantz PM7000 + PSB Image B4 + Nice sub is way to go :)

HI, I've been looking around for the past few months for the same kind of setup, its just that for me it's not only nearfield, size does matter... I have a CA 650A and these were some of the options I was considering

1. Bose Acoustimass 3 - Series IV around 15K
2. CA Minx 212 - getting a quote for around 30K (will come down if bargained)

Havent heard any of the above, but simply going in blind with space constraints...

But thanks for this thread, will do some homework on suggestions u've got..

Last edited:
PSB Image B4 is no longer in stock. So have to find out other decent near field Bookshelf. So far PSB Alpha B1 and Polk Rti A1 looks decent option but they might not be near field due to relatively larger driver (5.25 inch compared to Image B4's 4 inch). Klipsh RB-41 is also good option but can find it in India

Btw can anyone suggest me good sealed subwoofer having speaker out upto 20k ? Polk PSW125 is available but not sure about its SQ and I think it is ported design

Last edited:
Update bought amp and sub
1) Yamaha yst sw 315 : found good deal for 2 year old model. Bought for 11k.
2)nad 315 bbe amp.

Now just speaker remains :)

Interesting. Congrats!

Now pick that amp and hit Soundscape or whatever the shop in Aundh that sells the RTi and see if you like those.

Hunt for BS still goes on !
Tried PSB Alpha B1 from nearfield and found they are not good at close distance. Sounded like I am standing in first row of live concert !

Found one very interesting comment from one of forum

"Conventional hi-fi speakers won't be any good for near field listening due to having separate HF and LF units. Only speakers using arrangements like Tannoy's dual concentric and KEF's UniQ can genuinely be used for close listening."

Hi-fi Speakers - Classic Q Series - Fact Sheets - Bookshelf - iQ10 - KEF International

KEF have also advertised uniQ to be ideal for small room. As their Woofer and Tweeter are concentric KEF claims that
waveguide gives a dispersion that is characteristically consistent, so you enjoy the same extraordinary illusion of presence wherever you sit. Even many reviews states KEF's claim is correct and these are good nearfield speakers.
They have 2 bookshelf models iQ10 and iQ30

Another interesting comment
"KEF uses concentrically placed drivers (this means the trebble and bass sound eminates from the same plane, and sometimes the same voice coil). In terms of imaging, this configuration makes sense. Trebble frequencies travel at higher speeds than lower frequencies. If you think about it, a conventional speaker system has the Tweeters (and voice coils) closer to the listener because the voice coils are on not on a true vertical line above the woofer. The standard speaker configuration can also lead to "lobing". This is when the shared frequencies of the woofer and tweeter (around the crossover point) enter the listeners ears at different times causing muddiness. "

Now question is can we get those in India ? ProFX sells KEF speakers but they do not have above model

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back