Speakers for Yamaha A-S1000

RoC: Thanks. I'm a little reluctant to go for yet another BS as I feel that I might need to supplment it with a sub for bass? I want a pair of speakers that would negate the need for a sub. I just want two speakers and no more...

Please can you share your experience with the BE-718s. thanks

Its a good speaker - just that its a bit finicky about your amp. It needs loads of current or else it won't sing. It has the smoothest top end I've heard in any speaker and it is just very hard to listen to any other tweeter after this. Since you are in chennai, I suggest you drive down over a weekend and hear them yourself. Contact odyssey on this forum for an audition.

ATCs are very very good speakers. However again they are hard to drive and more than that, they are hard to get right. They are brutally revealing - any small problem in the chain will be thrown on your face. However if you get them right, they are almost impossible to beat.

Bobby thanks much, had never heard of the ATC brand till I read your post and then went and did a search and found they are some fine sooper hi end speakers, I'm not sure if I can afford them yet, but would see if I can at least audition them.

SCM 7 should fall somewhere in between 50k to 60k. Since I have used scm19 ealier, I can say scm7 and 11 are less fussy comparatively. However it always demands good source.
My AS2000 drives scm 11 with ease, I never found this amp missing dynamics and control over the speakers.

navin how much those A-S2000 cost you in India? So, what sound good with your A-S2000, will definitely sound good with A-S1000 and with Z-9 too.

Extremely worrying comments. My dream to add a S2000 in my den later on seems to be vanishing.:sad: Are you certain of this?

1. I was gifted these amps along with some other equipment incl for example 2 pairs of JBL 4312E speakers etc...actually on paper my son was the intended recipient but seeing that he is only 10 and is living in my apartment...:D

2. The 2000 really comes into it's own when you use balanced inputs and yes the person who gifted them told us to take them as they are being discontinued soon. When exactly he did not say and we did not ask. Given the urgency in his emails I suspect 2012-3 might be the last year of manufacture for now. That said very often companies reissue equipment that achieve esteemed status.

I agree. I have 2 A-S2000 in my closet waiting for their speakers to be built (which are currently in design stage).

The CS 1.6 would make a great combo with the AS 1000. Only issue I had with the 1.6 was that they are a bit SPL limited for my room/needs. The 1.6 and (Sonus Faber) Liuto make excellent bedroom speakers though. Smooth, clear and articulate at most volumes.

Must hear the S2000 with the Suavo 1 then.

What you described about the AS 500 was exactly what an "audiophile" amp should be - transparent. If the source is forward the amp presents that, if the source is mellow the amp presents accordingly. Yamaha has always been consistent with what they call "natural sound". I would grab the S1000 or S2000 as from what I am told these amps are not going to be manufactured anymore.

In that case I strongly suggest waiting and investing more in the speakers. As per page 10 of the manual the pre outs can be used to drive a subwoofer.

goose, as we know there are 1000s of brands of speakers out there. Many will serve well with the S1000 - Proac, Spendor, Theil, SF Liuto, Monitor Audio, Dali, Focal the list is endless. It is not possible to hear even half the list. My usual advice for streeos used to be was to break up your budget into a 20-25-40-15 ratio. 20% for source, 25% for the amplifier, 40% for speakers, 15% for cables. This was not a fixed ratio and at the high end these ratios don't be nessecarily work but for my novice friendsat least it provided a good yardstick.

Why so much for speaker? Well they have the difficult job of converting energy from electrical to mechanical energy. That costs.

Navin, the moment I read that you've got TWO A-S2000s in your closet, it unleashed the devil of envy in me...you or shoud I say your 10 year old is blessed, I suppose he would be take on these units when it's time! What colour are they? I looked at black and silver and I loved the silver more than the black. The wood finish was really striking, fell in love with it even before I could listen to them! Even more glad that I bought them then, now that you've mentioned these units may not be around for long.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean SPL limited? Does SPL mean Sound Pressure Level?

Re the Soavo-1s, a quick note, from what my bro tells me, these speakers took a while of run-in to settle down and to start with he wasn't impressed with it's sound and after run-in he's unable to live without it. That's the sort of shift these spkrs seem to make in sound quality over time.

Glad to know that the S500 is a decent amp, it's another unit I would never let go off anytime soon.

Thanks for the 20-25-40-15 ratio, truly apprecaite the guidance!

I will increase my budget to ~60k

I was gifted these amps along with some other equipment incl for example 2 pairs of JBL 4312E speakers etc...actually on paper my son was the intended recipient but seeing that he is only 10 and is living in my apartment...:D

Lucky you!!!:licklips:

The 2000 really comes into it's own when you use balanced inputs and yes the person who gifted them told us to take them as they are being discontinued soon. When exactly he did not say and we did not ask. Given the urgency in his emails I suspect 2012-3 might be the last year of manufacture for now.

That's quite a lot of internal info of a manufacturer. The "person" seems to be very close to Yamaha.

Just guessing.

Last edited:
Its a good speaker - just that its a bit finicky about your amp. It needs loads of current or else it won't sing. It has the smoothest top end I've heard in any speaker and it is just very hard to listen to any other tweeter after this. Since you are in chennai, I suggest you drive down over a weekend and hear them yourself. Contact odyssey on this forum for an audition.

ATCs are very very good speakers. However again they are hard to drive and more than that, they are hard to get right. They are brutally revealing - any small problem in the chain will be thrown on your face. However if you get them right, they are almost impossible to beat.

Thank you RoC, How do you rate the speakers' low freq response? Thank you much for the offer, I will get in touch with Odyssey as well. I plan to drive to drive to Bangy sometime next month.

The wood finish was really striking, fell in love with it even before I could listen to them!

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean SPL limited? Does SPL mean Sound Pressure Level?

Funny thing happened. When my friend called me he said all he has are 2 black pieces. I wanted 1 black and 1 silver in keeping with the decor of our apartment but settled for the 2 black pieces. When the amplifiers came I found 2 silver pieces. I called him and he said sorry that's all they have in stock. I cannot divulge the source or where these amps were headed to when they were divreted to me. Suffice to say that they have been legally imported and duties have been paid.

Yes I listen to music at pretty loud levels and our living room is pretty large as Mumbai apartments go. It is L shaped with one part being 35 x 12 and the attached "dining area" being 20 x 10. The 2 areas have a 10 ft wide opening (long their long walls) between them. So a single 8" (or even a pair of them) would have trouble reproducig music at live levels.

That's quite a lot of internal info of a manufacturer. The "person" seems to be very close to Yamaha.

I am not saying more. I will get into trouble if I do. ;)

One Yamaha will be driving a pair of DIY floor standing speakers using a pair of SEAS Excel 8" woofers, a 5" SEAS Excel mid and a NeoX tweeter from Fountek. Bass recinforcement would be provided by a TC Sound 15" and a SEAS ROY 10" as part of a Home Theater system (a Yamaha 1020 would provide decoding as well as pwer to the center and rear).

The second will drive a pair of 4312E for my son. A 12" powered sub will help with the bass.

On an unrelated note I have 2 more loudspeakers in the fire
a. a ported tower using a pair of 7" Illumintor woofers (18WU) mated to a 2" Accuton mid and RAAL 70-10 tweeter
b. a TL using a 10" SS (26W8867 or 8861) woofer in a TL mated to B&G Neo 10 and a RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. The RAAL tweeter for this design is not yet available to DIYers so it is on ice for now. The B&G Neo 10 is superb from 300-3000Hz and one can dipole it.

Last edited:
The 2000 really comes into it's own when you use balanced inputs and yes the person who gifted them told us to take them as they are being discontinued soon. When exactly he did not say and we did not ask. Given the urgency in his emails I suspect 2012-3 might be the last year of manufacture for now.

Just guessing..

I am not saying more. I will get into trouble if I do. ;)

Understood. No need to say more.;)

Understood. No need to say more.;)

On an unrelated note I have 2 more loudspeakers in the fire
a. a ported tower using a pair of 7" Illumintor woofers (18WU) mated to a 2" Accuton mid and RAAL 70-10 tweeter
b. a TL using a 10" SS (26W8867 or 8861) woofer in a TL mated to B&G Neo 10 and a RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. The RAAL tweeter for this design is not yet available to DIYers so it is on ice for now. The B&G Neo 10 is superb from 300-3000Hz and one can dipole it.

FYI - Yamaha's Aventage xx20 line might be a bit delayed. Expected dates are September-October '12. I only mention this as I am expecting to use the 3020 to drive the Illuminator-Accuton-RAAL tower as part of a compact 4.1 set up.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back