Speakers Suggestion for NAD 3020 Amp

In simpler words, FS and subs tend to excite more room modes than BS.
Lower the frequency the speaker can handle, more number of room modes to tackle.
Meaning, you can run into placement issues.
Cheers,
Raghu

@raghupb, Thanks for the auditioning offer. I will definitely come by and have a listening session.

I am waiting for the Amp to arrive. I will PM you and then we can meet up. Excited to meet someone whom I always held in high esteem for their knowledge and willingness to share.

Hi, I also live not very far from Banshankari. I can also join for the audition ( if it is ok with Raghu) and can bring the stuff which I have. Let me know.

In simpler words, FS and subs tend to excite more room modes than BS.
Lower the frequency the speaker can handle, more number of room modes to tackle.
Meaning, you can run into placement issues.
Cheers,
Raghu

Very well put sir :)

Venky...a simple room node calculator shows that your dimensions of 11x14 ft will excite room nodes at 40 and 51hz.

So long as the speakers dont go low enough into these frequencies, they will not excite these nodes , leading to booming bass.

However, if you want to use floor standers then you might have to use some sort of room eq or dsp to lower your output at these frequencies and mulitples of these frequencies till 250hz to remove the annoying bass boom. Perhaps that is for a seperate post for now.

If you are still considering floor standers, then technically the NAD can drive high efficiency floor standers. The sensitivity should be a minimum of atleast 90db in my opinion. And the higher the better. Usually klipsch have high sensitivity speakers in the 92 to 96bdb range. But you will have to audition to see, if you like them. As they are claimed to be on the bright side.

As a side note, i used to use a bluesound powernode ( which is from NAD's multiroom sound division ), with a power rating of 25W into 8 ohms, with my 90db sensitivity qacoustics concept 40's in a similar 11x14 ft room. I had the speakers firing down the length of the room, as running them across the width resulted in too much bass boom. And the speakers also needed a minimum of 450mm distance from rear wall. Thus, owing to my problems with speaker placement in a 11x14 ft room, i would advise to stick with a book shelf speaker. It is not because the NAD cant drive it, it is the room that cant take it .

The above said, since you are in Bangalore, please carry your amp along to several dealers and see what you like. All the best :)

Hi, I also live not very far from Banshankari. I can also join for the audition ( if it is ok with Raghu) and can bring the stuff which I have. Let me know.
Should be OK.
It'll give me a chance to listen to something other than my own rig and make new friends
Let's wait until FM @venky4c receives his puppy.
Cheers,
Raghu

I received my amp today. Let's plan for the audition at Raghu's place. Please PM me to plan this further.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back