Speakers Suggestion for NAD 3020 Amp

venky4c

Hi,

I have just purchased a NAD 3020 from fellow FM (Preth30). I want to have a music listening set up for my bed room.
I am a person who likes neutral setup (not a fan of huge bass). My room size is 11x14. Considering this, I am looking for suggestions for a pair of Bookshelf speakers (Floorstanders are ruled out, due to limitation of room size).

My main consideration is that I want a pair of Bookselves, which will suffice my needs without adding a subwoofer in future. Due to my room constraints and dislike for thumping bass scenarios I have ruled out adding a Subwoofer.

My friend has suggested Q Accoustics 3020i when I have asked for his advice on 'sweetest sounding bookshevles'. Some people said that these speakers would need the sub, as the lows are not very clear with just the bookshelf setup. Is this true?

I want to know from you if there are other alternatives? Budget is under 50K.

Thanks,
Venky

Speaker SQ is dependent on person to person and highly emotional subject.
I once had a chance to listen to some Thiel speakers and they sounded quite ordinary!... they costed around 2lakhs. So I would suggest to audition as many speakers as possible with your songs using your amp and then decide. I would suggest you audition for brands like Monitor Audio or Paradigm. Always carry your CDs for audition.

cha_indian,

I cannot agree more that it is a matter of personal thing. Which model do you suggest in Monitor Audio? How is MA7?

Thanks cha_indian.

I was reading the internet for the minimum room size that can be considered for accommodating a Floor Stander. I learnt that they are talking in terms of cubic feet. My room is about 1050 cft. So I was wondering if I can consider a Floor Stander (< 4ft in height), so that I can do away with adding a Sub.

Check Castle Knight 2 on hifimart.
FM @sidvee gave a favorable review on these sometime ago.

Disclosure: I have not heard them.
Cheers,
Raghu

If a sweet sound is what you are looking for, the qacoustics concept 20 are very sweet sounding speakers. I have their siblings the concept 40.

Also please bear in mind, that NAD and PSB are sister concerns of Lenbrook international audio company. So NAD use psb speakers in the development stages of NAD amps and for testing. So these two make a sonic match. So if you can find a psb mini to audition, it would be nice. Otherwise please carry your amp with you, and audition the concept 20s. Iam sure other folks will come along with their recommendations too. All the best

Ah yes. PSB mini is a wonderful speaker.
When I heard them last (about 3 years ago) they left an very positive impression on me.
It was paired with a NAD (don't know which model)
Audition was at Music Ranch.

Cheers,
Raghu

@venky4c That is a peach of an amp. I still regret giving it away after holding on to it for close to 20 years.
Since you are in Bangalore, just tag it along and listen to various speakers in the audio showrooms in Bangalore.

Its USP is that, it is stable down to 2 ohm load and can hence provide power on demand (close to a high current amp) on short bursts without straining. There are far far better amps, and I have compared it with quite a few in my ownership over 20 years, but it is unique in its presentation especially in the midrange and the upper midbass region.
It also has a very good headphone output and some say it has an excellent phono stage as well as I have never used turntables with it when I owned it.

Enjoy your ride with one of the most venerated amps of this century.

Ah yes. PSB mini is a wonderful speaker.
When I heard them last (about 3 years ago) they left an very positive impression on me.
It was paired with a NAD (don't know which model)
Audition was at Music Ranch.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for suggesting Music Ranch I can see that they have PSB. I will consider PSB Image B6 and PSB Imagine Mini.

@Kannan, Sir I have been reading lot of your posts and value your insight and contribution to this forum. Feeling great to interact with you...

NAD was in my radar for a very long time now, and finally I am going to own one. Great to know about its unique midrange and midbass capabilities.

Nad make great amps and 3020 is a legend. I have played with 2 Nad amps, a vintage 304 and the current C320BEE. The NAD drives Kefs and Dalis very well. 304 was okay with Elac B6, but sounded really good with QA Concept 20 and 3020.

Carry the amp to Pro FX and DNI stores to drive Polk, Kef, Dali, Focal, etc. You can also try out different cables, yes they do make a subtle difference.

MaSh

Nad make great amps and 3020 is a legend. I have played with 2 Nad amps, a vintage 304 and the current C320BEE. The NAD drives Kefs and Dalis very well. 304 was okay with Elac B6, but sounded really good with QA Concept 20 and 3020.

Carry the amp to Pro FX and DNI stores to drive Polk, Kef, Dali, Focal, etc. You can also try out different cables, yes they do make a subtle difference.

MaSh
Thanks for the inputs, QA seems to be having lots of fans.

While reading more about the FS/BS debate I came to understand that adding a sub to a BS set up is not an easy process. Hence the popularity for FS. I was wondering if 11 ft listening distance is good enough for the FS. The width is 14 ft though. Room height is 8.25 ft.

Given these room dimensions, can some one advise me if I can go for FS and if so, what size?

As venerated your Amp is... It does have its limits.

( every product has limitations so no criticism of the amplifier )

I would assume a good standmount with a higher sensitivity would be great match to get the best out of the amplifier.

Regards

While reading more about the FS/BS debate I came to understand that adding a sub to a BS set up is not an easy process.
There is no hard and fast rule like this.
You can see BS made with 6.5 inch woofers and also Towers made with the same size woofer. It is the volume of the enclosure and design that matters and not if it is FS or BS.
In general terms a FS will usually produce more lows that a BS, but, at the same time, the same room responds more to a FS than a BS.
I have used a 3-way with a 10 inch woofer without issues in a 10x10 listening space as I had full active control over the individual drivers. It would have been very challenging in a passive 3-way.

14 feet is a very good enough width to try FS, but don't discount on a BS aswell.

The 3020 may be understated at 20 watt RMS, but still do not push them with hard to drive speakers. But for your listening area, anything in the sensitivity of 86 and above should be fine. If the woofer is more than 8 inch a sensitivity of above 88 or 89 will put out more lows from the same driver with the 3020

While reading more about the FS/BS debate I came to understand that adding a sub to a BS set up is not an easy process. Hence the popularity for FS. I was wondering if 11 ft listening distance is good enough for the FS. The width is 14 ft though. Room height is 8.25 ft.

Given these room dimensions, can some one advise me if I can go for FS and if so, what size?
You are in audition phase. Hear everything with open mind and ears.
Choose what is appealing and can be hosted in your listening room.

If you are anywhere near Banashankari, PM me.
Lug your amp and have a listen to stand-mounts. I have a couple of pairs.
You may get a fair idea of what they sound like in home environment.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
@Kannan, You said: "In general terms a FS will usually produce more lows that a BS, but, at the same time, the same room responds more to a FS than a BS. "
This statement sounds counter intuitive to me, especially the latter part (the same room responds more to a FS than a BS). Is that what you meant or is it the other way round.
If your statement is correct, then FS should be preferred, right?

@raghupb, Thanks for the auditioning offer. I will definitely come by and have a listening session.

I am waiting for the Amp to arrive. I will PM you and then we can meet up. Excited to meet someone whom I always held in high esteem for their knowledge and willingness to share.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back