Speakers suitable for hindi old recordings and mix of others genres

A Tube Preamp, a class D power amp like the Crown and British laid back speakers would be in my opinion, close to a good combination to listen to most genres of music including old hindi songs, well recorded or otherwise.

Cost effective to boot.

Last edited:
For speakers > 50k
For media player with dsp and dac > 50-70k
Assuming that marantz Pm 7004 I have is sufficient for purpose
but only if i could audition i could have more flexibility here
Am slightly out of touch with the newer components but a castle should be good. Heard a lot about Fyne audio as they are ex tannoy folks but no personal experience. Same with the acoustic energy.

A nice review of fyne audio

On digital, perhaps the denafrip/metrum etc are all great choices folks here would have more options and you can search other threads as well since these are common questions.

Last edited:
Update :
Tried again my Monitor Audio Rx6 floor stander with PM7004 . had not tried those since I bought Wharfedale 220.
Worked little bit on EQ . also removed the foam blocker from the rear port of the speaker ( it has both front and rear ports) and tried to move further from walls. the monitor audio has bass , midbass and tweeter. and there is no midrange driver
I am now getting an Idea what I like from A1 . It is the bass in the range of 100-200 HZ and its clarity .

Now I am looking for a speaker which can give me tight bass which does not makes vocals muddy, clear vocals and sweet treble.
I am assuming that now I should really go with a 6.5" Driver. wharfedale 220 was lacking bass but was having clarity in other departments
so wharfedale Evo 4.1 , 11.1/12.1 is out of equation

I have following in the list now. they are different in price range .

Castle Knight
Wharfedale Evo 4.2
Wharfedale 11.2 or 12.2
Wharefdale denton 85th anniversary
Quad S2 - it seems these are not in Stock
Qacoustic 3030i

More inclined towards Wharfedale 11.2 /castle knight or Q acoustic 3030i as they seem to be in same price range.

Evo4.2 /Quad and Denton would be higher could go for them as well if it makes sense to invest on these

I am now searching for a quality DAC and or streamer with good DAC too which can let me have option to apply and store individual EQ to tracks .

Update :
Tried again my Monitor Audio Rx6 floor stander with PM7004 . had not tried those since I bought Wharfedale 220.
Worked little bit on EQ . also removed the foam blocker from the rear port of the speaker ( it has both front and rear ports) and tried to move further from walls. the monitor audio has bass , midbass and tweeter. and there is no midrange driver
I am now getting an Idea what I like from A1 . It is the bass in the range of 100-200 HZ and its clarity .

Now I am looking for a speaker which can give me tight bass which does not makes vocals muddy, clear vocals and sweet treble.
I am assuming that now I should really go with a 6.5" Driver. wharfedale 220 was lacking bass but was having clarity in other departments
so wharfedale Evo 4.1 , 11.1/12.1 is out of equation

I have following in the list now. they are different in price range .

Castle Knight
Wharfedale Evo 4.2
Wharfedale 11.2 or 12.2
Wharefdale denton 85th anniversary
Quad S2 - it seems these are not in Stock
Qacoustic 3030i

More inclined towards Wharfedale 11.2 /castle knight or Q acoustic 3030i as they seem to be in same price range.

Evo4.2 /Quad and Denton would be higher could go for them as well if it makes sense to invest on these

I am now searching for a quality DAC and or streamer with good DAC too which can let me have option to apply and store individual EQ to tracks .
If you want bass, you need a sub. Even with my kef q350s and evo 4.2, the experience is incomplete without a sub.

FYI, even my quad s5 requires a sub

Check out this new plug-and-play BOSS2 player/streamer from Allo which supposedly measures well and comes in a compact package for around 10K:

I'm not aware of the individual EQ storage on them though, so due diligence is needed before purchasing.

Last edited:
If you want bass, you need a sub. Even with my kef q350s and evo 4.2, the experience is incomplete without a sub.

FYI, even my quad s5 requires a sub
I am looking for bass but not overwhelming one. Which sub should i try for music.? Thanks

I am looking for bass but not overwhelming one. Which sub should i try for music.? Thanks
Do look at the kind of music you listen to and from your first post you may not need it. a good sub is not cheap and for that budget you can get a still better speaker.

A sub is a great addition but putting that budget can get you a better source/speaker that would be a better option

Do look at the kind of music you listen to and from your first post you may not need it. a good sub is not cheap and for that budget you can get a still better speaker.

A sub is a great addition but putting that budget can get you a better source/speaker that would be a better option
As i have another set of speakers. i would first replace the source . Looking for streamer or a streamer + DAC . may be will go for bluesound node 2i or similar
sub i was thinking to add with diamond 220. If I have to go for a new sepaker will decide if I need a sub once i have the speaker and that does not gives me enough bass for my music. I do not think that would be the case though as you have rightly identified.

I have a similar requirement but I want something multipurpose as I can't invest for separate speakers for movies,so am looking for a 5.0 setup

How would taga harmony 606 fare for these? Any use of getting the se version?

I have a similar requirement but I want something multipurpose as I can't invest for separate speakers for movies,so am looking for a 5.0 setup

How would taga harmony 606 fare for these? Any use of getting the se version?
Please start a separate thread.
Thanks

Today I tried Tidal ...
they have very nice collection of hindi old songs and the quality of those songs are excellent . I wonder from where they have got such excellent quality of versions.. I was told in this thread the original recordings were destroyed
listening to these and comparing with what I have locally is difference of day and night... vocals are clear and songs do not sound muddy..

Not all music was lost. There are still excellent quality versions available.
Maybe Tidal has the good ones.
Even iTunes, Spotify, Gaana, Saregama have a lot of good quality Hindi film music.

Not all music was lost. There are still excellent quality versions available.
Maybe Tidal has the good ones.
Even iTunes, Spotify, Gaana, Saregama have a lot of good quality Hindi film music.
I have hundreds of songs purchased from itunes and saregama and they are pretty low quality. I compared songs on the same system and monitors using itunes and Tidal . it may be related to the tidal player along with higher quality source files. but they are very different sounding .

I have hundreds of songs purchased from itunes and saregama and they are pretty low quality. I compared songs on the same system and monitors using itunes and Tidal . it may be related to the tidal player along with higher quality source files. but they are very different sounding .
There is no comparison. Tidal is miles ahead of apple music and itunes (limited experience)

Update
Had received bluesound node 2i and wharfedale evo 4.1 .
Also replaced the amp (marantz 7004 with marantz 6007 amp).
Added wharfedale d10 sub for added bass.

Found the DAC of marantz amp sounds better
than the one used in bluesound node 2i . Using coaxial connection to amp from bluesound.

Using tidal for song collection.

Sounds excellent and what I was looking for. Enjoying it !!

Thank you everyone for your inputs !!

Update
Had received bluesound node 2i and wharfedale evo 4.1 .
Also replaced the amp (marantz 7004 with marantz 6007 amp).
Added wharfedale d10 sub for added bass.

Found the DAC of marantz amp sounds better
than the one used in bluesound node 2i . Using coaxial connection to amp from bluesound.

Using tidal for song collection.

Sounds excellent and what I was looking for. Enjoying it !!

Thank you everyone for your inputs !!
Great setup, this is also what I was told to have in the 1st stage. Just have 1 question - What kind of music you listen to?

Would like to know how does it sound with old Bollywood music or gazals.

Thanks in advance.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back