Speakers suitable for hindi old recordings and mix of others genres

If you still have 7004 lying around , try to get an entry level dac, as 7004 is very capable amp, which I owned in past to drive pioneer fs52 and Tannoy XT...
Point is not to discard the old amp before doing A &B test
Just a suggestion
I have done A/B test with both amp. the Amp is indeed great and has served me well for years. I do not have usage for two amps hence have sold that out along with diamond 220

Great setup, this is also what I was told to have in the 1st stage. Just have 1 question - What kind of music you listen to?

Would like to know how does it sound with old Bollywood music or gazals.

Thanks in advance.
I listen to songs like these.. and the setup has become what I was wishing for. sounds excellent . Glad that I did not go with the inputs that I needed cheap and crappy setup for old hindi songs..

Billy joel - piano man, always a woman
Mark knopfler - sultans of swing, borther in arms, sailing to philadelphia, money for nothing
Bryan adams , eric clapton unplugged, hotel california, comfortably numb
Acoustic guitar - tommy emmanuel, chet atkins
Asha bhonsle - yehi wo jagah, mera kuch saman
Mohd rafi - hui shaam unka, tum jo mil gaye ho, dil jo na keh saka
Kishore kumar - phir wohi raat hai, jane kya soch kar, thandi hawa ye chandani
Jagjit singh- koi ye kaise, baat niklegi,kabhi yun bhi tou ho
RD burman - any from the boss
Kailash kher- saiyaan, chandan mein
Sonu nigam , Arijit singh - abhi mujh mein kahin, spana jahan, tum hi ho, phir mohabbat,

Last edited:
I listen to songs like these.. and the setup is become what I was wishing for. sounds excellent . Glad that I did not go with the inputs that I needed cheap and crappy setup for old hindi songs..

Mark knopfler - sultans of swing, borther in arms, sailing to philadelphia, money for nothing
Sonu nigam , Arijit singh - abhi mujh mein kahin, spana jahan, tum hi ho, phir mohabbat,
Already started feeling good about the setup

I listen to songs like these.. and the setup has become what I was wishing for. sounds excellent . Glad that I did not go with the inputs that I needed cheap and crappy setup for old hindi songs..

Congrats...
Eager to know ...how does the sound signature differ comparing to the 220s? I have the 6007 paired with 220. Can you give a brief account of the differences you have noticed?

Congrats...
Eager to know ...how does the sound signature differ comparing to the 220s? I have the 6007 paired with 220. Can you give a brief account of the differences you have noticed?
220 sounds very good specially as those were well run while the Evo 4.1 might still be in their burn in period. I would say that before I let 220 go I found they were bit more smooth while evo out of the box are slightly bright and open ( compared to 220 ) may be due to the AMT . though the difference was there but it was not day and night .
would be able to share more after a month or two of run in.
adding/testing a sub might good decision for 220 , because what I feel is that for Indian songs and specially middle and new Hindi songs ( low freq instruments like Tabla, Dholak, Bass guitar , Drums , conga etc.. all have different bass and midbass frequencies ) moving 80Hz or lower to Sub will let the small speakers relax and add more clarity.

220 sounds very good specially as those were well run while the Evo 4.1 might still be in their burn in period. I would say that before I let 220 go I found they were bit more smooth while evo out of the box are slightly bright and open ( compared to 220 ) may be due to the AMT . though the difference was there but it was not day and night .
The Evos require 20-30 hours of burn in but the most prominent change occue during the first 10 hours. The highs on the Evo are smoother than a toddlers bum after its done burning in.

Out of the box, they are terrible. When i first put on the Evos 4.2s, I was horrified with the lack of coherence between the three drivers. Mids were coarse, highs sounded as if they were out of phase and the bass was muddy and tubby. 3-4 hours of burn in later, they were a completely different speaker.

Other users have also reported similar experiences vis-a-vis burn in of the Evos.
would be able to share more after a month or two of run in.
adding/testing a sub might good decision for 220 , because what I feel is that for Indian songs and specially middle and new Hindi songs ( low freq instruments like Tabla, Dholak, Bass guitar , Drums , conga etc.. all have different bass and midbass frequencies ) moving 80Hz or lower to Sub will let the small speakers relax and add more clarity.
Well, unlike an AVR which allows you to set a low pass filter, speakers connected to a stereo Amp will still be reproducing the same frequencies irrespective of whether a sub is attached to the system or not unless your amp has that option.

What a sub will do is reinforce the lower frequencies and add body to the sound.

Last edited:
The Evos require 20-30 hours of burn in but the most prominent change occue during the first 10 hours. The Evos highs on the Evo are smoother than a toddlers bum after its done burning in.

Out of the box, the Evos are terrible. When i first put on the Evos 4.2s, I was horrified with the lack of coherence between the three drivers. Mids were coarse, highs sounded as if they were out of phase and the bass was muddy and tubby. 3-4 hours of burn in later, they were a completely different speaker.

Other users have also reported similar experiences visi-a-vis burn in of the Evos.

Well, unlike an AVR which allows you to set a low pass filter, speakers connected to a stereo Amp will still be reproducing the same frequencies irres[ective of whether a sub is attached to the system or not unless your amp has that option.

What a sub will do is reinforce the lower frequencies and add body to the sound.

You sir are setting very high standards when you are comparing anything to the smoothness of a toddler's bum :D

The Evos require 20-30 hours of burn in but the most prominent change occue during the first 10 hours. The highs on the Evo are smoother than a toddlers bum after its done burning in.

Out of the box, they are terrible. When i first put on the Evos 4.2s, I was horrified with the lack of coherence between the three drivers. Mids were coarse, highs sounded as if they were out of phase and the bass was muddy and tubby. 3-4 hours of burn in later, they were a completely different speaker.

Other users have also reported similar experiences vis-a-vis burn in of the Evos.

Well, unlike an AVR which allows you to set a low pass filter, speakers connected to a stereo Amp will still be reproducing the same frequencies irrespective of whether a sub is attached to the system or not unless your amp has that option.

Thats a good news so I should expect more results from my EVO gradually . I was told about burn in of 100-150 hours by distributor as well as other forums . have used them 15-20 hours as of now.
you are right that the frequencies have to be defined through and AVR , DSP or transport . or if the amp is 2.1 and lets you set the LPF/HPF. ( in my case bluesound Node 2i could do that but I am now to a direct connection to amp over coaxial)
in my previous setup through bluesound
Bluesound ( subwoofer option turned on and set as 80Hz) -- > Evo 80Hz
-- Full frequency to Subwoofer - filter in subwoofer to play < 80Z ( + 10 HZ)
Now:
Bluesound -- Coaxial Full frequencies to marantz 6007 Amp
Marantz 6007 Amp Sub out > Subwoofer ( filter set at 80 Hz )
So all the frequencies are fed to Evo 4.1 by Amp ( supported Frequency is 64Hz to 22Khz) but not an issue cause I do not drive them even past their half of capacity )

At a standard and low volume level ( for me ) subwoofer lets me boost low freq without increasing the overall volume level. most of the pre 1978 songs have boosted mid frequencies as more prominence was given to vocal at that time , or may be due to limitation of recording gears and types of instruments used and also the quality control and substandard quality HMV used to force for India users :) .

Last edited:
I have to admit i have very little experience in that regard so the comparison may have been a bit premature :p.

Let me report back in a couple of years.
Let me share my objective feedback. The smoothness can be improved by trying out quite a few things. For one, Johnsons comes to mind.

If you ever end up playing your type of songs in a bigger single driver unit, would be interested in knowing your views when compared to your current setup.
Interesting observation/query. Any particular reason why you're looking for impressions from a bigger single driver unit?

If you ever end up playing your type of songs in a bigger single driver unit, would be interested in knowing your views when compared to your current setup.
.What i meant and wanted to write was single speaker not driver . A1 has two driver . Woofer and a tweeter.
the older songs( pre 1978 maybe) were recorded in mono and later converted into stereo by duplicating channels. so I thought stereo speration might be ruining it

I also tried bose S1 pro which I have but the the warmth was missing . so i believe it was more of sound siganture of B&0 speakers and components

.What i meant and wanted to write was single speaker not driver . A1 has two driver . Woofer and a tweeter.
the older songs( pre 1978 maybe) were recorded in mono and later converted into stereo by duplicating channels. so I thought stereo speration might be ruining it

I also tried bose S1 pro which I have but the the warmth was missing . so i believe it was more of sound siganture of B&0 speakers and components
The question remains, has the Evo 4.1 been able to replicate some of that B&O magic with old hindi songs?

The question remains, has the Evo 4.1 been able to replicate some of that B&O magic with old hindi songs?
yes ! Finally with my current setup I am happy. not sure if it is just 4.1 as in my quest i replaced amp, speakers, added subwoofer , added streamer and tidal subscription, replaced all speaker cables and interconnects too :)
it sounds great not just for old songs but also for other genres of music which I like.

yes ! Finally with my current setup I am happy. not sure if it is just 4.1 as in my quest i replaced amp, speakers, added subwoofer , added streamer and tidal subscription, replaced all speaker cables and interconnects too :)
it sounds great not just for old songs but also for other genres of music which I like.
Happy to see that you got what you were looking for...
Please mention the complete set up

Happy to see that you got what you were looking for...
Please mention the complete set up
Thank you. setup is mentioned in the signature. I have also detailed it in a post here

Went through your signature...
Wow......
Music all around..
You have got what some of us can only dream of...
Happy listening..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back