SQ difference between NAD integrated & dedicated preamp

ps_sonic

Hi, Everybody
I use NAD C352 as a preamp & for power I have connected it with a Rotel RB985 MKII paired with Zensor 5 speakers. So far I am pity satisfied with my setup until a greedy upgrade offer came my way:eek:. I have an offer for NAD 162C preamplifier. My question is will there be any huge difference in quality hifi experts plz share your views

You have not mentioned what your sources are, assume its CD.

Before answering your question, let me ask you one. Assuming you have removed the U-interconnects between the C352's preamp and poweramp on the rear panel and connected the preamp outs to your poweramp, does your setup play CDs with full bass and treble controlling, even when the C352 is turned off? Or does it play only when the C352 is turned on with the setup you've mentioned?

Hi, Everybody
I use NAD C352 as a preamp & for power I have connected it with a Rotel RB985 MKII paired with Zensor 5 speakers. So far I am pity satisfied with my setup until a greedy upgrade offer came my way:eek:. I have an offer for NAD 162C preamplifier. My question is will there be any huge difference in quality hifi experts plz share your views

Hi
Not familiar with your speakers.
Have owned the 352 and the 162 too and driven it with a Rotel RB 1080 and the Nad power which was 272 if I am correct. In my opinion the C162 as a dedicated preamp is not worth the money and wont add to much in any set up, forget pairing it with the Rotel which in any case is not a great idea sonically.
Am a bit out of the HIFI circuit and dont know any of the new Nad / Rotel gear but a NAD Preamp is not really gear worth buying , the power amp maybe. The integrateds are decent at the price.
In short stick with the 352 as a Pre as U are happy and buy something better than a Nad Pre as and when it pops up pre owned
Rgds

You have not mentioned what your sources are, assume its CD.

Before answering your question, let me ask you one. Assuming you have removed the U-interconnects between the C352's preamp and poweramp on the rear panel and connected the preamp outs to your poweramp, does your setup play CDs with full bass and treble controlling, even when the C352 is turned off? Or does it play only when the C352 is turned on with the setup you've mentioned?

Asked this question as I am not very familiar with the C352's circuit. I have the C320 and its preamp is a passive one. If the C352's preamp is a passive one then there would be a difference.

I have the NAD 106 dedicated preamp which I use with the NAD 216thx poweramp. I have tried my NAD 3020 integrated amp's preamp output with the 216thx poweramp and it definitely did not sound as good as the 106. The 106 had a rich and fluid sound which was very appealing.

I used to own the c350 at one point in time. I pretty much faced a similar dilemma and tried out many things including Rotel power amps, Nad preamps, Nad power amps mix and matching all sort of combinations. A few observations:

- The preamp in the 350 ( or pretty much any entry level nad integrated) is weak. A good preamp will take the performance up quite a few notches.
- If the speakers in question are sensitive, then a nad power amp will not add much. A teeny weeny bit of improvement maybe.
- Avoid combining nad and rotel. Go with one brand depending upon what you like.

The best price to performance solution I found was combining the 350s power amp section to an acoustic portrait valve preamp. Make sure you use good cables in the entire chain.

i used to run a promitheus passive pre with the NAD C356. It was good until i fell for a Naim Integrated.

I have heard the C162 ( or was it C165 ) with the Nad C375 ( power amp ) and it was Okish music.. very polite and average.

I second dinyaar's views and to look out for a better option to upgrade.

In the meantime, you may like to experiment with speaker cables and interconnects to see where these lead you to.

Not too expensive though but to just offer you a different flavour.

Another option could be to make friendships with Chennai FM's and maybe borrow some
( spare ) cables for a few days and see.

mpw

@reubensm my major sources are videocon DTH & my TV for music as it supports all audio formats including FLAC.Usually I plug my pen drive on TV take digital out from my Samsung TV & run it through Fiioo D3 DAC for the analog conversion then into NAD C352. The NAD has two preouts.I am using preout one it does not affect tone controls or volume control of the source.If I use preout 2 the tone controls & volume control are on the NAD,I have tried both.Hope I have answered your questions

Hi, Everybody

Whu dont you follow the similar thread in terms of pre-amplifier..
http://www.hifivision.com/preamplifier/52335-pre-amplifier-my-system.html

Cheers
Dheeraj

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back