Review Emotiva UMC 200 for music

ps_sonic

Hi everbody please guide me on my next upgrade.I recently sold off my NAD C352.The NAD was quite excellent in my opinion only thing I felt was a bit overpowering on the midrange, And more over Since I have lots of HDMI sources & want losseless sound & have I decided to get a dedicated preamp. Only the Emotiva UMC 200 is under my budget. My doubt it will the emotiva do justice to music? I mean will it sound good( good in the sense I mean soundstage) Orelse will I be safe on getting any other integrated amplifier at the budget of 40K.

My options are
1.Get Emotiva UMC 200 & pair it with the rotel to drive my Dali Zensor 5 speakers.

2. Get any preowned integrated amplifier at the budget of 40K & use the rotel if i want extra power.

The FR of the pre section of UMC-200 is very neutral but it does affect the soundstage and imaging when fed with analog inputs. It is fairly ok for music but it cannot be compared to a dedicated stereo preamp. Recently, we compared it with Oppo BDP-103 and it was very close (both the DAC and PRE sections).

Though it adds comfort of multiple inputs and volume control, which my DAC does not have, I still prefer to connect the DAC directly to the active speakers. Though it is better than many the preouts of many entry to mid level AVRs out there, still it wouldn't be the an ideal option for music.

If your need is not to watch movies in 5.1, it makes less sense to go for a HT prepro. For that budget, you can get a good pre-owned dedicated preamp. You can try posting in Wanted section. Or if you have some basic DIY skills, you could build a Pass B1 at about 1/4th of your budget.

Not sure how good the suggestion is, to manage HDMI sources you can get some HDMI to coaxial converter with multiple inputs to feed it to your DAC (you haven't mentioned about it). But I feel most of the sources with HDMI like set-top box or media player would also have SPDIF output.

ps: Sorry couldn't respond to your PM in time.

Last edited:
Hi Santy thanks for your reply., I would be happy if my music sounds better than my NAD C352. What are you your views on it considering its mid level NAD integrated. I don't have any external DAC . I might build a HT in future so only going for the emotiva. But I also want it to be good on music atleast better than my NAD. The emotiva had some glowing reviews which has confused me.

Emotiva USP 1 stereo preamp vs Emotiva UMC 200 7.1 preamp. Is there any differences in sound quality in stereo?

thanks for review
f.png

Considering all requirements, ie you need a preamp, you have HDMI sources, you do not have a DAC as of now and you are planning to build a HT, I think the UMC200 makes quite some sense. Its a great VFM prepro. I have not heard the NAD so I cannot really comment. The USP-1 would be better for music again I am not sure. It isn't available now I suppose.

Last edited:
I am using the UMC 200 for music and movies. I have connected it to UPA 700 power amp. My source is Oppo 103. Its very good for music if you use the Oppo DAC. The UMC 200 internal DAC is slightly inferior to the Oppo. Even then it is not bad. If you want a one box solution it is quite cost effective. Santy has heard my set up and he will agree. A dedicated stereo integrated or pre -amp would probably be a bit better. It depends on how much perfection you want in your music and how much you are prepared to spend. As Santy said, for your current requirement, UMC 200 would make sense.

Thanks for valuabe guidance. Considering all your advice I shall go for the Emotiva UMC -200. Will post a review once the setup is ready. Meanwhile any idea why Emotiva USP-1 has been stopped.There one in sale in the classifieds section which interested me . Would like to FM members take on the USP1 performance

The UMC 200 has arrived as expected the emotiva rocks for movies, For music as suggested by fm members it was average. Maybe Dali & Emotiva are a mismatch for music. My Dali speakers had surplus amount of bass with the NADs but with the UMC-200 the lows are weak. Maybe adding sub in future will help,Regarding the signature of emotiva I would say its neutral or at times bright for music.The biggest plus of UMC 200 is its wider soundstage previously I have heard something like this only on much higher costing stereo setups.My ears are still adjusting from the NAD to emotiva sound

Emotiva USP 1 stereo preamp vs Emotiva UMC 200 7.1 preamp. Is there any differences in sound quality in stereo?

I own USP1 and UMC1. To me, they are inaudible different but the USP1 has much accurate bass management (the LEF output). The bass management on UMC1 somewhat boomy and high in level.

I don't know if UMC-200 is still the sam as UMC1.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back