SQ PQ of Old remastered DVDs with THX certification?

swami

Please let me know your experience with the movies as mentioned in subject here. I am currently watching Indiana Jones - 1 which says its a remastered DVD with THX certification for better sound and picture quality. My initial review is that the quality is not bad at all considering that its such an old movie. Please let me know your views on the experience you had with similar DVDs.

PS: Predator, another old movie is pathetic in PQ and SQ (I rented the original Indian DVD release). This was not THX certified. The idea is to establish a benchmark as to whether or not old movies with a THX certification are great in terms of SQ and PQ.

Regards,
Swami

Please let me know your experience with the movies as mentioned in subject here. I am currently watching Indiana Jones - 1 which says its a remastered DVD with THX certification for better sound and picture quality. My initial review is that the quality is not bad at all considering that its such an old movie. Please let me know your views on the experience you had with similar DVDs.

Not all producers will accept 'remastering' with THX certification, as you have to pay a royalty to Lucas every time you sell a DVD. With the advent of TrueHD, and DTS HD, THX will become less and less popular.

In any event, THX certification is meaningless unless you are using it in a room with DVD Player, AVR, and speakers that are all THX certified.

Though THX is good, recreating the THX environment at home is very expensive. Playing a THX certified DVD on equipment and room that does not support THX will be a sheer waste of THX certification.

PS: Predator, another old movie is pathetic in PQ and SQ (I rented the original Indian DVD release). This was not THX certified.

Your rental shop must have given you a pirated DVD. I have the original DVD of Predator sold by Excel India. I use it regularly as reference DVD. The sound and video quality is that good. I even use it on my Onkyo 875 that is THX certified. The sound effects in the jungle are fabulous. A few weeks ago, I used the DVD to audition Denon and Polk equipment at ProFx. The shopkeeper had his jaws hanging.

I am not sure you can judge the quality of a DVD by what you get from a rental shop, even if he says it is original

Cheers

Thanks for the information. I will certainly get my hands on the "original" predator!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back