Squeezebox V/S DAC Discusssion

To put in mildly, expecting US-like pricing is being unrealistic. Do we get US like pricing for IPads? There will be added costs on account of shipping, handling, customs, etc. I dont want to hazard a guess on how much it will end up costing.

Not sure how accurate or up to date this is, but I've seen the Squeezebox Classic for 20k for a long time in Logitech India's website.

I was considering this, but ended up buying from Amazon in US instead.

Love the Classic, by the way. I think it still stands tall among the others.

Yes the Classic is a good product-much easier to set up than the ones that came later. I used mine for four years till it packed up and was very happy with it.

I agree with you GeorgeO. Not much of a chance for the product to be available at close to US pricing but even if they first make it available and it is not a ridiculously inflated price, there will be buyers.

I would like to differ on this. This one is selling like hot cakes. I spent one full day in London to get hold of this. Tesco, Currys & PC World- they were all running out of stock. Finally checked from PC World about a branch holding two pieces. I made a rush for it, to find to my relief that I got the last piece. Other one was sold in the mean time.

I think Pranab means there is very low demand in India since he mentions speaking with Logitech India. I'm sure the sales abroad are indeed like hot cakes but I don't think there are too many enthusiasts in India, yet.

I think Pranab means there is very low demand in India
Indeed.

I too had problems getting my Duet in UK. I couldn't even buy ex-display from my convenient branch of Richer Sounds. I think they told me one branch that had stock and I rushed there.

We should not accept that stuff will always be wildly expensive in India. Let us not be defeatist about this! Every country has its import duties and local taxes. British VAT is now a whopping 20%! . Also, every country, not just India, has to bear the shipping costs.

Whilst I guess it is just not realistic to expect smaller retailers (and India doesn't have anything to compare) to shave their margins to those that a big-volume dealer like Richer Sounds, I do think that that the swings, roundabouts and balances of duties, taxes and margins should result in, at least, Manfacturer's RRP not being wildly different here. I suppose I'm dreaming!

At this price its a steal and the price is unbelievable. It seems to be new and including both Receiver and Controller. It even includes custom and shipping!:)

I tried to look for some catch. :D I could guess only two_One is that you need a voltage converter. Thats obvious. Secondly, I dont know why the dealer lists it as Internet Radio!

ya it does look like good deal. i have asked for a qoute for a touch. btw touch is avialable on GEB from 23-25 k

One is that you need a voltage converter. Thats obvious
Be prepared for that (and yes, I did read that bit on the e-bay page) but... my Duet power adapters are 100-240v.

Yes, I bought in UK, so it would have to work at 240, but it's made in China, has approval marks from several countries (including something that says US), is designed with interchangable plug module --- and I would not be surprised if they sell the same thing worldwide.

So don't rush out and buy that step-down transformer until you've seen your Logitech power adapters :)

My Duet also has a universal voltage power supply and I tend to agree with Thad. $400 is the US price so looks like I may have to eat my words!

At this price its a steal and the price is unbelievable. It seems to be new and including both Receiver and Controller. It even includes custom and shipping!:)

I tried to look for some catch. :D I could guess only two_One is that you need a voltage converter. Thats obvious. Secondly, I dont know why the dealer lists it as Internet Radio!

Like Thad said, you may not need a transformer.

Also, it may be listed as internet radio since it is a very capable internet radio player. It will probably sound more attractive to layman customers that way.

it is a very capable internet radio player.
Just t o stress that point...

It does not need any local computer to be turned on: it will connect to internet via your wireless router, and all internet radio stations will be available.

If you subscribe to one of these online music storage systems, you could play your music that way too --- personally I can't see the point of having to "download" my own music every time I play it!

I feel pretty idiotic to state some more features. :D Idiotic because SB would be the last in my list to use those features. Taking abt SB Touch here...

1. Alarm Clock/Digital-Analogue Clock (good designs too).
2. Image Viewer- Like a digital photo frame.
3. Social networking...FB etc.
4. It can display lyrics if you have ID3 tags.
5. You can use USB and even MMC card. (I love to use this). :licklips:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back