Squeezebox V/S DAC Discusssion

TaureanBull

Ok. Let me take the lead and start the discussion on Squeezebox v/s dedicated DAC with laptop/pc. The motivation came from the discussion on Marantz CD6003 Group Buy thread by Demon.

I have SB Touch. I will give my verdict. I request others to give their views. In fact I would love some one to give a comparison who has both the option with him viz SB and a dedicated DAC.

There is some information available in the Logitech forum.

Squeezebox : Community : Forums

Review:

The Touch is the first Squeezebox capable of hosting a USB storage device (speed of browsing folders may not be to the best of liking, but only during search not while playing; several TBs takes its toll after all); it also has SD memory card slot.

The SB has AK4420 stereo DAC that supports bit streams up to 24-bit resolution with sampling rates as high as 192kHz (the Touch itself is limited 24-bit/96kHz) while delivering an impressive signal-to-noise ratio of 105dB. It enables the Touch to play the 24-bit, 48kHz FLAC files.

Verdict

There is NO need to buy another DAC if you buy a SB. Definitely not in the budget level of DACMAGIC. IF your are satisfied with the DACMAGIC output then this will satisfy your needs.

Case for SB (esp Touch)

-VFM.
-USB capability.
-Internet radio.
-Wireless streaming.
-The DAC. (Should be the first one).
-A good touch screen to browse folders.
-Tit Bits to impress the facility seekers. :licklips:

Lets other guys chip in.

Last edited:
Thanks TB, I might go for Duet. you kittu? I really want all SB owners to drop in few lines on this topic.

TB , thanks for starting this thread. Is there a considerable differnece in playing a flac from xtreamer and SB touch..What is the dac chip inside SBtouch?

@Kevian bro, I am thinking of the Duet too. I like to stay away from the touch devices.:p

I have the Duet. Kittu - you heard the Missions and Syrens both at my place via the Duet. I can tell you that for the price, it is a fantastic piece of equipment but is it the last word in DACs? I don't think so. I'm in the process of auditioning an Audiozone DAC1 to compare it to the onboard DAC on the Duet so I will post my impressions later. However, something tells me that a 900 dollar DAC will definitely be better than a 400 dollar streaming device with a DAC in it.

I agree with the verdict in Taurean's initial post. The DAC on the Duet/Touch is good enough for you to not need a budget DAC but if the option for a 1K+ DAC exists, I'm pretty sure the Logitech will not even stand a chance.

All said and done though, the Squeezebox is an integral part of my rig now and even if I do get a dedicated DAC, I will retain the Box for its awesome streaming capabilities.

The reason I backed out of the Marantz group buy is because it makes little sense in dropping even 20K on just a disc-spinner. The only CDPs worth buying are the ones with digital inputs so that you can tap the DACs on-board. That option only exists in CDPs upwards of about 50K. So, for me at least, it makes sense to buy CDs, rip them to FLAC and play them wirelessly using the Box (with or without an external DAC)

Also, Kevian - see if you can buy just the Duet receiver and use an Andriod phone to control it. You can save a bunch of cash that way :)

Last edited:
Thanks Bluu , it was your place spoiled me to think about buying a Duet. :mad::D Its a nice piece of equipment :) . Seriously considering the cost effective ways of buying it. Any suggestions ....

Same suggestion for you. Try buying just the receiver end of it and use the web control. The remote itself, though brilliant, is about 230 odd USD (I think). In any case, if you have a large collection, using the remote can be tiring. I find the web control to be best way to control the Box. That way you should be able to buy the Duet for about 200USD.

Also, the reason I don't promote the Touch is because you will need to keep it near you to use the touch functionality which may mean running long cables to your stereo. Else you can run short cables and keep the Touch near your setup and get up to touch it every time. Good luck with that.

Also, Kevian - see if you can buy just the Duet receiver and use an Andriod phone to control it. You can save a bunch of cash that way :)

I have looked, am looking and will look for such deal in my capacity. But, bro I want to own this before it is out of stock.

I think the receiver with remote is retailing 200USD in amazon. Now thinking which one is hassle free aramex,borderlinx or any other ?

I think the receiver with remote is retailing 200USD in amazon. Now thinking which one is hassle free aramex,borderlinx or any other ?

If that deal is still on, close your eyes and buy it. I got the receiver and remote for 217USD total which, in my opinion, is daylight robbery on my part :)

In any case, if you have a large collection, using the remote can be tiring. I find the web control to be best way to control the Box.

Bang on there!!. That is the reason I want to control it using an android phone or a laptop or a tablet. But no one is selling just the box.

Kittu says its on Amazon for 200USD. Its a steal. I bought it off Amazon too. Why don't the two of you buy it together? :)

Its 206 USD on amazon and I did some calculation about shipping and customs on Aramex thread. It is coming around 12K INR. Just wanted to have more opinions from our forum. And Group buys might bring down the price even more.

cheers!!

Borderlinx is coming to 13k :mad: . Any gray market suggestions (ofcourse only if its genuine logitech duet) .:)

The Logitech India website lists only the Squeezebox Classic.
Any idea whether the DAC quality in both Classic and Touch are the same?

Same suggestion for you. Try buying just the receiver end of it and use the web control. The remote itself, though brilliant, is about 230 odd USD (I think). In any case, if you have a large collection, using the remote can be tiring. I find the web control to be best way to control the Box. That way you should be able to buy the Duet for about 200USD.

Also, the reason I don't promote the Touch is because you will need to keep it near you to use the touch functionality which may mean running long cables to your stereo. Else you can run short cables and keep the Touch near your setup and get up to touch it every time. Good luck with that.

I think there is some misconception. SB touch comes with a remote! In SB touch the receiver has a 4.3" screen. There is no screen in remote unlike remote. It's lovely to see the album art on screen. SB duet receiver needs regular charging.

In fact in SB touch they have been careful in display text. If you are using touch option the text is smaller. As soon as you use remote the text becomes larger and readable at good abt 10 feet distance.

I did not cover these aspects as the interest was focussed in DAC part.

I think there is some misconception. SB touch comes with a remote! In SB touch the receiver has a 4.3" screen. There is no screen in remote unlike remote. It's lovely to see the album art on screen. SB duet receiver needs regular charging.

In fact in SB touch they have been careful in display text. If you are using touch option the text is smaller. As soon as you use remote the text becomes larger and readable at good abt 10 feet distance.

I did not cover these aspects as the interest was focussed in DAC part.

I know. I just think that using a remote to control a touch based device is silly. However, that is only my opinion :)

Yes, lets keep this discussion on the DAC aspect of things. So, what are the good options you guys are aware of for DACs?

TB , thanks for starting this thread. Is there a considerable differnece in playing a flac from xtreamer and SB touch..What is the dac chip inside SBtouch?

@Kevian bro, I am thinking of the Duet too. I like to stay away from the touch devices.:p

I think it's not fair to compare xtreamer and SB. Both have different purpose. Xtreamer is no match in streaming music to SB. But you see SB can not stream HD videos!

Ok. About the SB versions and DAC. This is what I have gathered.

SB3/classic : 24 bit burr-brown DAC, -93.5dB THD 0.002%

SB Duet : 24 bit wolfson DAC, -88dB THD 0.004%

SB Touch : 24 bit AKM semiconductor AK 4420 chip, sampling rate 192 kHz s/n ratio 105 dB

This is for people who can understand all these well.

To clarify once more. SB touch has USB input which no other streamer has as of now. You can plug in your TBs of HDD (i am not saying torrented) :D and forget everything else. For a SB duet you will have to keep a PC/ Laptop switched on to stream. Secondly, the cost of receiver is equal to or more than SB touch itself. Duet is no fun with a controller. Else you use some web application to control it.

These were my reasons to go in for the SB touch.

The Logitech India website lists only the Squeezebox Classic.
Any idea whether the DAC quality in both Classic and Touch are the same?

As said before classic model is the oldest of all three models. Officially touch and duet are not available in India.

Obviously the touch DAC is the best of all three.

I know. I just think that using a remote to control a touch based device is silly. However, that is only my opinion :)

Yes, lets keep this discussion on the DAC aspect of things. So, what are the good options you guys are aware of for DACs?

I think you want to say why a remote for a touch device and why is it touch if you have a remote. ;)

You say one has to walk to operate, I say use remote. Then you say why to operate touch screen by remote and not by TOUCH. :D

I tell you bluu it very difficult to satisfy customer now a days. :eek:hyeah:

All in lighter mood BTW.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back