Squeezebox V/S DAC Discusssion

I had been in the market for an SB Touch sometime back. But after a bit of research on it I gave up the idea as it did not suit my specific needs (= playing FLACs off a USB HDD, and not off a NAS/Server).

None of the following is first-hand information (I haven't used an SB Touch myself). This is just what I gleaned from quite a bit of reading on the Internet.

- The SB Touch is best used as an internet radio, and as a front-end to play digital music streamed to it from a NAS/Server.

- The USB port of the SB Touch plays files from a USB pen-drive all right, but it does not play files from a USB HDD well. This is especially a problem when a 2.5" drive (without external power) is used.

- The problems with USB HDDs reported are that
(a) The SB Touch takes a very very long time to index the files each time the drive is connected to it.
(b) There are frequent dropouts of sound while the files are playing.

- This has been mentioned above -- a power supply upgrade will make the SB Touch perform even better.

- As a front-end, with a NAS/Server behind it, feeding it files via the Squeezebox Software, it is an excellent player. If this is your planned use, go for it! :)

Nice! Can you tell me where you got the BluTack from? I need to secure my speakers to Ali's spikes as well.

^^ Thanks! I got the BluTack from Bangalore: Tools and Trades, Commercial Street (Tel: 080-25588077) :)

Last edited:
I had been in the market for an SB Touch sometime back. But after a bit of research on it I gave up the idea as it did not suit my specific needs (= playing FLACs off a USB HDD, and not off a NAS/Server).

None of the following is first-hand information (I haven't used an SB Touch myself). This is just what I gleaned from quite a bit of reading on the Internet.

- The SB Touch is best used as an internet radio, and as a front-end to play digital music streamed to it from a NAS/Server.

- The USB port of the SB Touch plays files from a USB pen-drive all right, but it does not play files from a USB HDD well. This is especially a problem when a 2.5" drive (without external power) is used.

- The problems with USB HDDs reported are that
(a) The SB Touch takes a very very long time to index the files each time the drive is connected to it.
(b) There are frequent dropouts of sound while the files are playing.

- This has been mentioned above -- a power supply upgrade will make the SB Touch perform even better.

- As a front-end, with a NAS/Server behind it, feeding it files via the Squeezebox Software, it is an excellent player. If this is your planned use, go for it! :)

Actually my experience is other way round. I sometimes faced a break in streaming when my router was overloaded.

It does take the time to scan the folders initially but when starts playing then there is no break. The seek time too depends on the size of disk. Personally I have not used more than a 250GB HDD without ext PS. I am also not sure if the ext PS would reduce the seek time.

Let's see views of other people. I am planning to buy an Ext HDD. In case Ext PS makes a difference I would go for it.

Last edited:
There is an "audiophile" version of the squeezebox, the Transporter.

Looking it up just now, to give the link, I find there's even a brand new model since the last time I looked: Transporter SE

The price is way above any other model, but, as people are talking about 1,000USD DACs, they might like to consider this elite member of Logitech's range.

Anybody know anything about it?

Haven't seen or heard it but the specs look smashing! Seems like a very decent DAC+Streamer option. Funnily enough, price on Amazon is 2300USD!

Pranab,

Thats a good initiative, if you can find out the avg price for one piece and let us know that will be great.

Most of us are trying to find the way to buy from the U.S. and get it shipped here ..

Thanks

More good news from Pranab! The problem will be knowing which model to stock. The Touch would seem to be the baseline, although some people still want Duets.

I guess you wouldn't sell many Transporters!

Very good work Pranab! If you can secure a sensible deal (not the current Rs 20,000 for a Classic) then I am sure you will get a minimum of 5 orders. Also, when you speak with them, please check for the Touch and Duet both. I agree with Thad, I don't think there is much of a market for the Transporter.

Keeping fingers crossed that Logitech will treat you (and India) fairly, and price on a par with the rest of the world. I'm sure the only reason there's "no demand" for this product is because it isn't available! It is a brilliant product, and very good value for money compared to some other multi-room products (compare Sonos). The multi-player, multi-room aspect is one we haven't discussed much here. Anybody here got more than one squeezebox?

I've got one already --- but looking forward to seeing the range on your site :)

Hello,

We are in process of talks and getting the Logitech Squeezebox .... Please let us know how many of you want as then we can procure the same ... as had talk with Logitech india and they told due to very low demand they were not getting the goods.. but if many of you are interested we can arrange the same....

Thanx

Great initiative Pranab.
I would be interested if the pricing is somewhat similar to the US pricing.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back