SSD query

vijayk

Looking to buy 2TB SSD with SATA-III (2.5 drive) interface to install inside Audio Streamer
the purpose is simple to store FLAC files that can playback locally

While searching I came across many brand that support about 560/250 MB read and write speed

Also found PCIe M2 base internal SSD which supports higher read and write speed and can be fix in Sata Casing to make interface like Sata SSD (2.5 drive) this combo makes final price less compare to Sata SSD

So just wonder what to choose, will this combo gives fast read write speed compare to conventional Sata SSD and also saves money?

Thank you,
~VijayK

Looking to buy 2TB SSD with SATA-III (2.5 drive) interface to install inside Audio Streamer

While searching I came across many brand that support about 560/250 MB read and write speed

Also found PCIe M2 base internal SSD which supports higher read and write speed and can be fix in Sata Casing to make interface like Sata SSD (2.5 drive) this combo makes final price less compare to Sata SSD

So just wonder what to choose, will this combo gives fast read write speed compare to conventional Sata SSD and also saves money?

Thank you,
~VijayK
It is better to chose something like the PCIe M2 ssd and chose a reputed brand in ssd like samsung and others. SSD have limited writes (but enough to last lifetime if not abused). As this will be for a streamer where you will mostly read and write only when transferring new songs, you will be ok.

for flacs, even a 5400 rpm hdd will also do. you can save some money or get a bigger capacity disk.
That is exactly what I have done. Plus the hard disk is always connected to an OS (in my case Linux). All Linux do what is called as read ahead which read the data demanded by the process and additional data. All of this data is actually writen to the RAM which is high speed. So data which the player fetches will always from the memory.

But HDDs fail ungracefully correct? As in we can't even read if it crashes unless you get help from expert to recover data?? But, as per my very limited knowlede, SSDs fail with read-only mode atleast initially. Am i wrong here?

for flacs, even a 5400 rpm hdd will also do. you can save some money or get a bigger capacity disk.
So right now I have install 7200 rpm hdd. however it won't perfectly fit inside bottom compartment hence this SSD requirement

SSD's from reputed brands are very stable and work without any issue compared to HDD as there are no mechanical parts. Only problem is price is high.
I have one SSD(Samsung EVO 128GB) 15 years old and running fine.
Another SSD(M.2) 256GB 7-8 years old, running fine.
One small laptop HDD 256GB that too is running fine for 15 years.

I use SSD for Operating System and HDD for NAS, just because of cost factor.

Thank you,
~VijayK

My personal preference/recommendation is the Crucial MX500 model of 2 TB SATA 2.5 inch SSD - I have 3 of them - 1tb, 2tb and 4tb and have had a bunch of other Crucial 2.5 inch SSDs and have been very happy with them.

If it was a m.2 format "stick" SSD I prefer Samsung 9xx series - I have a 2tb 970 Evo Plus which has been serving me well for the past few years already.

Check out options available on the onlyssd.com website or wait for sales there or on Amazon/FK etc...

edit: I don't recommend trying to use a m.2 SSD in a case for 2.5 inch form factor - just get a proper 2.5 inch SSD.

Why did this one-year-old thread suddenly become active?
OP might've already built a NAS and be peacefully enjoying his music 😝.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back