Stabilizer & Transformer for Home Theater System

The reason why a stabilizer has an in-built stabilizer is that the battery voltage drops from a maximum of 13.4 Volts (full-charge) to a lower cut-off voltage of 10.8 Volts. The mean being about 12 Volts.
And, at each of these input voltages, the output voltage has to be a constant 230 Volts. Since a stabilizer has to be provided for the battery system, it is also used for the raw-electricity when supplied to the equipment in the UPS circuit.

^^

that will be a very unusual design

normally the inverter output voltage is regulated by pulse width modulation(varies the the width of inverter switching pulses) circuits in the inverter which regulates the output against both battery and load variations

A stabiliser or automatic voltage regulator(AVR) works using an auto transformer with different taps, based the on the input voltage condition the different taps on the transformer are selected using relays. Digital stabilisers will have finer taps which means the the variation in output will be less for a large input variation compared to ordinary stabilisers

most of the inverters in market dont have a stabiliser / AVR , but only a high low voltage cutoff

most of the inverters in market dont have a stabiliser / AVR , but only a high low voltage cutoff

If an inverter does not have a stabilizer, then hoe does it give a constant voltage from the full-charge voltage of 13.4 Volts, to a full-discharge voltage of 10.8 volts ????

If an inverter does not have a stabilizer, then hoe does it give a constant voltage from the full-charge voltage of 13.4 Volts, to a full-discharge voltage of 10.8 volts ????

as i said above this is done by pulse width modulation

Yea, Borg is right. That is what I had already mentioned in my earlier posts. When main power is available the inverter doesn't do anything and throw the input voltage as such to the output. i.e just like you are connecting your gear in raw power. When power fails then the inverter comes to play, convert DC to AC either by PWM or other electronic means and supply regulated power to output. so using an inverter as stabilizer for AV gear is not recomended.
I hope I make the point clear.

Last edited:
I use UPS for my PJ503 projector so that on power failure, it can get sufficient time to cool the lamp.

If the UPS is so built that it supplies raw power to the equipment when there is mains supply, then it is absolutely imperative that the entire system be connected to a larger stabilizer.

If the UPS is so built that it supplies raw power to the equipment when there is mains supply, then it is absolutely imperative that the entire system be connected to a larger stabilizer.

most of the commonly used ups sold now(apc, wipro, v guard etc) follows the line interative topology which has a built in automatic voltage regulator(a transformer tap switching in mains mode and pwm regulation in battery/inverter mode)
so no need for extra stabiliser, long back there was offline ups's which functiened almost like an inverter (with a fast transfer time and bypasses the mains input while it is within the lv-hv cutoff window, say 170v-250v,)

however any tap switching regulator(stabilisers, ups) will alow a certain % of variaton of output example for an input variation of 150V to 300V , output will vary 200-250V,
a servo stabiliser however is much precise ,example 230+/-1%

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back