Stands for Harbeth SHL5

Aren't u using spikes to level the stand ?

Transmission of vibrations to the floor is preferable via a
Pointed object like a spike.

Granite and wood have different " conductance " to
Vibrations VI's a VI's your present stand.

As I mentioned earlier as well but was missed out somehow ...there are no absolutes. Try the wood and granite. It it works for you..great !!

At the end of the day the discernment of difference in sound for different stand arrangements is up to your ear
And brain.

Just try it out...

Rest all is theory..

It will be nice to see a PIC of your harbeths on your stand.

Regards

I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of these lossy stands...trawling the web to learn more...here's my confusion...

Currently my stands are placed on the floor which have vitrified tiles...if I place them on bricks or wooden blocks with granite slab to give it more stability and mass...how would it be different from they being placed on the floor? I am probably missing something very obvious here but that's the quandary I'm in at the moment...

@soul, when I had the SHL5 I tried 2 different stands , one was a solid sand filled 3 post design and the other was the extruded aluminum - open frame -stand from Ali. The former weighed 25kg the latter perhaps 6-7kg. Was there a huge difference between the two? Not really, for me the speaker sounded better when the tweeter was at ear level or slightly higher- which Ali's stand helped provide with adjustable spikes and also it was more stable. Just my experience - yes I know the lossy open frame stand vs non lossy argument, but for me it was not that factor that influenced the decision but rather tweeter height and stability. Of-course if you are going to get new stands go for the lossy - open frame type - it will not hurt, but make sure tweeter height is right for your seating position. Ultimately that is more important - at-least it was to me.
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, I second that statement. It is of the most important part that the Harbeth's Tweeter is at ear level. I have personally seen and heard the difference when they are not. The difference is huge.

That is why when we sell a Harbeth we take the measurement at the clients residence so that according to the model he selects the tweeter is at his ear height.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back