Step down transformer for Denon AVR 1909

VMJ

Hi,

I have got Denon AVR 1909 from US. As the power rating is 110V, 60 Hz, I will need a step down transformer. Step down transformers only steps down voltage from 220 V to 110 V, however the frequency remains unchanged(50 Hz). Will it work fine using 110V and 50 Hz?
I understand that its good to buy a isolation transformer. I wanted to know where I can get good isolation transformers (1.5 KW) in Pune and what will be the approx cost. Are there any branded companies that make such isolation transformers?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about isolation transformers but a simple step down transformer would work just fine. The only thing u need to take care about is about the rating. 1.5kVA in my opinion would be plenty good.

I use a 1.5kVA step down for my Yamaha rxv1900 and it works just fine. Don't bother too much abt the frequency as the AC voltage you supply anyway gets reduced further via a massive transformer inside the avr as u would've seen and then gets converted to DC.

I got mine from shah electronics who supply under the Maxine brand name. It's been a couple of years now and alls well with both the avr and the step down trans. It cost me abt 3k when I bought it. Should be thereabouts now...

Here's their website, think they should have dealers in your place also...

SHAH ELECTRONICS - 220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers & 220V / 110V with Built in Stabilizer

I would recommend that you go for the simple step down rather than the one with the in built stabiliser thing.

I use a 3kVA krykard servo stab for regulating the power for all my av gear.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. The reason of going for isolation transformer is that if by any chance there is problem with the isolation transformer it will not give any output whereas simple transformer (single winding) is that if it goes bad then full 220V passes through the transformer and can cause damage to AVR. As you mentioned, that 50hz will not make a difference I will then go ahead.

hey VMJ...
contrags for your denon 1909....
bit off track here... but can you share with me how did you get this delivered in india and how much excise duty charged (if any)...

i am also planning to get a 2311 from US through my friend but not aware how much taxes will be applicable in india

thanks in adv.

Hi Ajay,

I had bought it in US, and was using it there for a year. When I relocated back to India, I shipped it along with other household items. I will need to dig out the invoice copy from my movers & packers to find out the excise duty, been couple of years now. But as it was a used product I think the duty was less than the new product.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back