Step up to Wharfedale 9.5+10.cs+9.dfs+sw150 with Denon791/1911

madhurvyas

Hi,

Happy to be member of this forum for some great info, though I didnt do much of R&D and auditioning, still i'm happy with the outcome.
My journey for HT began with a PC and 5.1's iBall booster combined with Panasonic P42"G10D Plasma, initially they were good for me, but then I purchased a PS3, to get a 5.1 output from my PS3 I needed speakers which could support Optical or hdmi, doing more research I landed in AV Receiver world, and from there my journey went into speaker world, and also to hifivision. After reaching this forum I learned few more details, asked my friend to bring a receiver from US, he suggested Denon, he already was using one for last few years. Once the receiver was here, I needed speakers for it, from this forum I found out Vectors in Hyderabad, though I'm in Rajasthan, I frequently visit Hyderabad for work, I went to vecors, initially thought of just buying a pair of bookshelfs, auditioned WF9.1,10.1 B&W, liked 9.1 for music stuff and finalized them, then thought of buying a complete 5.1 thing, added 10.cs, 9.dfs and sw150. came back to my home town, my cousin added some funds, we thought of going for floorstanders, for more power and boom, our main usage will be watching movies, some music and games. Changed the order to 9.5 instead of 9.1.
After one month of wait (due to courier issues or bad luck), I received my speakers.
After my initial setup I'm more then happy with the quality of sound this setup can produce.
Still I'm not happy with the placement of my setup, need to fix it. still cables are all loose due to it, not attaching pics, its very messy now.
Will try to do bi-amp connection for adding more quality to music.

My current setup is in basement, its in "L" shape, the "l" part is 48x15feet, "_" part is 10x20feet. Right now my setup is in middle of "l" part, TV goest on one wall, couch is one feet away from opposite wall.

My Denon audessy setup says:
Front : Large
Center: Large
Surround: Small

Distance:
FR:9.3ft
FL: 9.1ft
C:8ft
SR:2.8ft
SL:2.8ft

Few other things I need to know from experts:
1. the subwoofer settings in receiver says LFE, according to which only low frequency of small speaker will be sent to subwoofer, in my case surrounds. should I change to LFE+main, which will send all channel low frequency to subwoofer? will this make the bass drivers in front speakers useless?
2. subwoofer crossover, do i need manual editing or receiver will take care?
3. biamp connection, how much value to music it adds?

or should I try everything and stick to what sounds best to my ears.

Pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/madhurvyas1/Speakers?authkey=Gv1sRgCJiCg9vD17XbfQ#

Thanks all.

Last edited:
1.Try out....watever suits yr ears... None of settings s gonna harm d setup...
2.Adding a length of wire to Bi-amp will definitely improve the music experience...

Does the 9.5 s and 10 .CS match well... Because the 9 and 10 Diamond series differ harmonically....
ANd do share yr review...abt the setup...
\
And since yr "l" part is 48x15feet area is abt 720square feet...is the SW 150 sufficient..??

Last edited:
Hi,

Happy to be member of this forum for some great info, though I didnt do much of R&D and auditioning, still i'm happy with the outcome.
My journey for HT began with a PC and 5.1's iBall booster combined with Panasonic P42"G10D Plasma, initially they were good for me, but then I purchased a PS3, to get a 5.1 output from my PS3 I needed speakers which could support Optical or hdmi, doing more research I landed in AV Receiver world, and from there my journey went into speaker world, and also to hifivision. After reaching this forum I learned few more details, asked my friend to bring a receiver from US, he suggested Denon, he already was using one for last few years. Once the receiver was here, I needed speakers for it, from this forum I found out Vectors in Hyderabad, though I'm in Rajasthan, I frequently visit Hyderabad for work, I went to vecors, initially thought of just buying a pair of bookshelfs, auditioned WF9.1,10.1 B&W, liked 9.1 for music stuff and finalized them, then thought of buying a complete 5.1 thing, added 10.cs, 9.dfs and sw150. came back to my home town, my cousin added some funds, we thought of going for floorstanders, for more power and boom, our main usage will be watching movies, some music and games. Changed the order to 9.5 instead of 9.1.
After one month of wait (due to courier issues or bad luck), I received my speakers.
After my initial setup I'm more then happy with the quality of sound this setup can produce.
Still I'm not happy with the placement of my setup, need to fix it. still cables are all loose due to it, not attaching pics, its very messy now.
Will try to do bi-amp connection for adding more quality to music.

My current setup is in basement, its in "L" shape, the "l" part is 48x15feet, "_" part is 10x20feet. Right now my setup is in middle of "l" part, TV goest on one wall, couch is one feet away from opposite wall.

My Denon audessy setup says:
Front : Large
Center: Large
Surround: Small

Distance:
FR:9.3ft
FL: 9.1ft
C:8ft
SR:2.8ft
SL:2.8ft

Few other things I need to know from experts:
1. the subwoofer settings in receiver says LFE, according to which only low frequency of small speaker will be sent to subwoofer, in my case surrounds. should I change to LFE+main, which will send all channel low frequency to subwoofer? will this make the bass drivers in front speakers useless?
2. subwoofer crossover, do i need manual editing or receiver will take care?
3. biamp connection, how much value to music it adds?

or should I try everything and stick to what sounds best to my ears.

Pics
https://picasaweb.google.com/madhurvyas1/Speakers?authkey=Gv1sRgCJiCg9vD17XbfQ#

Thanks all.

Hey,
In my opinion the AVR audessy setup is good enough to automatically configure your setup. Other wise you can alternatively make a few changes after running the auto setup so that you let it calculate the distances of the 5.1 setup to the listening position. Manually change the setting if the fronts, center and the surrounds to small. Also check the Crossover frequency if it is anywhere close to 80hz and if not you can change it to the same. And during the auto set up the cross over frequency in the sub be set to max and the volume at half or a lil lesser. Further you can fine tweak the settings to suit your listening ways. Hope this does bring about a lil improvement.

Cheers

Hey Madhur,
In my opinion the AVR audessy setup is good enough to automatically configure your setup. Other wise you can alternatively make a few changes after running the auto setup so that you let it calculate the distances of the 5.1 setup to the listening position. Manually change the setting if the fronts, center and the surrounds to small. Also check the Crossover frequency if it is anywhere close to 80hz and if not you can change it to the same. And during the auto set up the cross over frequency in the sub be set to max and the volume at half or a lil lesser. Further you can fine tweak the settings to suit your listening ways. Hope this does bring about a lil improvement.

Cheers

Nice setup. Really envy you for having such a nice basement.

Few things you could try out.

1. Putting a thick carpet on the 'l' part where your speakers and your sitting area is will help the quality of sound you get.
2. Like some of the other suggestions, you can set up the speaker settings manually,set all to small (for movies), experiment with different crossovers, and see what works for you. Also, take a tape measure and set the speaker distances from your sitting area.
3. You may benefit from keeping the sofa slightly away from the back wall and set the surround distance right, I dont think its actually 3 ft.

Thanks all for you suggestions,

I will try out them.

The crossover in receiver is at 80hz, and subwoofer is set to maximum crossover, with volume at 12'o clock position.

basement is large but still sw-150 does a good job, or maybe its combined with 9.5 which are supporting it. there are steel in-wall cabinets, they start humming in high bass, need to fix them somehow.

About the 9and 10 series combo, I listened to both 9 and 10 series, to my ears 10 series had a upper edge when it came to vocals, for music I like 9, so for my 5.1 setup, i thought of going with 10.cs as most of vocal is coming through center. I feel it works very well.

Carpet idea is good, I have a large carpet lying around which will cover my theater part of basement. the other benefit would be, i can run my cables below the carpet.

Still I have not done tape measuring, will try this also, will update the thread with my tweaks.

Now I have done biamp connection to my 9.5's, they have improved.
Next weekend I will put the carpet and listen the difference.

Nice setup bro, would you mind telling me how much the Wharfes cost you? I am planning to take the plunge and the guy here has suggested a Diamond 10 5.1 pkg

Thanks

Speakers cost is approx is 67K
9.5s 25k
9.dfs 11k
10.cs 13k
sw150 18k

avr was 400$

looks bit expensive, im not much of bargainer. but they sound very good.

Thats s good deal...Hw did u manage to transport the speakers from Hyd to Rajasthan... I mean the DFS and Centre can be carried in train or flight.. but SW150 and 9.5s are huge... how did u manage to get dem from Hyderabad?? Courier//Parcel service or u gt dem with yrself....

Speakers got shipped from mumbai by designer audio, distributor for wharfedale. they shipped via TNT, they use same for shipping to dealers also so its safe.
TNT charged me 2683rs bit high but all speakers are large.
I got it delivered at home, though on a pony/donkey cart :D

Congrats... Din't u use HD movies before... I think because of the HD Movies (5.1) u r getting bettr sounds... How has the HTPC improved the sound?? I mean the Amplifier is 1911 and display is same .... then? How htpc has made a difference

BTW u r using Windows XBMC or the Live-Version of XBMC

Last edited:
Congrats... Din't u use HD movies before... I think because of the HD Movies (5.1) u r getting bettr sounds... How has the HTPC improved the sound?? I mean the Amplifier is 1911 and display is same .... then? How htpc has made a difference
Sorry I didnt state correctly, changing the location of speakers did make them sound better, earlier I had placed them somewhere else in basement.

Sorry I didnt state correctly, changing the location of speakers did make them sound better, earlier I had placed them somewhere else in basement.

Whats the acoustic/speaker change that you have adopted.,..
Please share... and what frequencies or how the Sound quality ..I mean in what terms it has improved..

Whats the acoustic/speaker change that you have adopted.,..
Please share... and what frequencies or how the Sound quality ..I mean in what terms it has improved..
You can see in the images, it has my old setup and new setup.
Now the bass is good, surrounds sound much better with higher placement. main thing is my ears can find a noticeable difference.

Back