Stereo or Music PC ?

sankyindia

Hi All.

Though I am not an audiophile, I would like to have a decent audio system and have been going though this excellent forum and posts by its knowledgeable members for past many weeks.

I have read the sticky thread Stereo Vs AVR and frankly I have not been able understand much of the technical stuff discussed there except that perhaps Stereo system scores over AVR for pure music listening. Now by Stereo, I understand that system has a source, a preamp, a amp, a speaker set (2.0 or 2.1 ?).

I do not understand the functionality / difference between preamp, amp and integrated amp. These are the phrases I have come across in this forum. I gather that amplifier amplifies the source music, removes noise/distortion , or something like that.

I mostly listen to [RD (Hindi)] , [The Beatles, Country or slow songs with guitar or soft instruments playing in background (English)] and [Instrumentals]. These make up around 90 % of my listening. So I think this can be called soft music? So entire setup should be ideal for this kind music.

Current Setup Currently I have a PC with onboard music and altec lansing 2.1 speakers. Most of the time I play MP3. But I have started buying CDs / high bitrate MP3s. Also increasing my collection of FLACs.

I think I have 3 options to setup music system.

1. Expand current system to have PC sound card + upgrade to excellent computer 2.1 speakers like SWAN 50w ?
2. Setup Stereo system with PC as source (but still add Sound card to PC ?)
3. Setup Stereo System with altogether new source, specially a media player capable of playing FLACS and MP3s. I am not in favour of going for CD player as CDs are getting obsolete. Buying CD is fine as we can rip them to FLAC/WAVE format for future usage.

I am not very inclined for #3 as I already have a PC which can be enhanced and be used as source. Plus it is much more flexible in terms of being able to play different formats with different sound effects (via software).

My budget is around 35K but it is flexible, especially if I get to buy from dealer offering EMI scheme. Planning to buy from Pune within 2-3 months.

I gather that Norge amplifier + speaker could be great combo for playing soft music. Apart from these, SWAN m50W seem to be good computer speakers.

What is the role of woofer ? are they really required for music ?

Please suggest ?

Sanket

At 35K you can do a lot better than computer speakers which are not really audiophile grade.

You already have a transport in place and can have an excellent DAC with the addition of an Asus Xonar STX sound card or even better an external DAC like MF MDAC1 or VDAC 2. I'd recommending sticking with the PC and not going the route of a CDP as your content is mainly FLACs and mp3s.

Rest of the budget can be split between speakers (bookshelves) and an amplifier. Norge + Wharfedale is the popular budget choice but I believe you should get in touch with FM = sonosphere and other FM who reside in Pune and audition before making a decision.

Interesting thread from sonosphere - http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/22706-mini-review-usher-s-520-spkr-asus-xonar-st-soundcard-topping-20-amp.html

Read through the thread and PM him and see if you can have an audition and then take it from there. Also, meet as many FM from Pune and try to audition as much as possible. That way you can get a better idea and also plan your budget accordingly.

thanks. I read all topping related threads and decided to take plunge and ordered an INDEED tp20 from Peter. But I received message from him that PAYPAL is investigating the transaction. Is this normal ?

I have ordered it for $37 (around 2K) without adapter. So I guess i will have to buy Airtel adapter 12V. And then off course remains speakers ! Not sure if JBL control one are still available as they are out of stock on their website.

Sanket

Integrated amp = (preamp + power amp in one box).

The two-box route would be a higher-expenditure route. Most people would save this for more advanced adventures in audio buying. Many of us may never reach that point, but be perfectly happy with an integrated amp.

If you buy powered speakers, ie speakers with built-in amplification, there is no need to have any separate amplifier: you can run these connected to your sound card, external sound card or USB DAC. this is a great way to get started. Remember that your PC will even act as CD player ... without even ripping the CDs first.

However, you will have more flexibility if you go for a separate amplifier into unpowered speakers. You may also find it easier to build a room-filling system, rather than desk listening system, that way.

No, you do not need the .1. You would only need a subwoofer if you were using very small desk-top speakers, or if you are really into heavy-bass music that hits you in the chest.

(sorry, I see you've already ordered an amp :) --- so I'm backtracking here!)

Since the amp part is taken care of as you have ordered the Topping, now you need some good speakers of reasonable sensitivity to go with it. You can take the Topping to various dealers and willing Fm's to check how the topping does with various speakers and get one that suits your taste. Ofcourse, there are popular options that other members here have opted for.
You can get a dac like the O-DAC, Audisnt which are external dacs. Or you could get a pc soundcard like Asus Xonar ST.

Since the amp part is taken care of as you have ordered the Topping, now you need some good speakers of reasonable sensitivity to go with it. You can take the Topping to various dealers and willing Fm's to check how the topping does with various speakers and get one that suits your taste. Ofcourse, there are popular options that other members here have opted for.
You can get a dac like the O-DAC, Audisnt which are external dacs. Or you could get a pc soundcard like Asus Xonar ST.

Yes. I will try to take amp for auditions. I just wanted to know few things.

Following is the product description

T-Amp IC Tripath TA2020-20
Output Power 2 x 20W @ 4ohm, 2 x 12W @ 8ohm
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) 98dB
Dynamic Range 98dB
IHF-IM Distortion 0.1% @ 1W, 4ohm
THD Distortion
0.03% @ 9W, 4ohm
0.1% @ 10W 4ohm
0.1% @ 6W 8ohm
10% @ 23W 4ohm
10% @ 13W 8ohm
Power Efficiency 81% @ 20W, 4ohm, 88% @ 12W, 8ohm
Input Sensitivity 200mV

If I compare with JBL control one (highly suggested for this amplifier) then are they proper fit ?

what is a proper fit for an amplifier ?

I mean if power output of this amplifier is 20W then can i connect speaker with 25 W rating ? How does impedance matter ? JBL control one has 25 200 watts suggested amplifier power range.

JBL specs:

Driver bass /midrange - 100m
Power handling (peak / continous) - 200 W/50W
Maximum recommended amp power = 100 W RMS
Sensitivity- 89dB/2.83V/1m
Nominal impedance - 8 ohm

thanks in advance.
Sanket.

Last edited:
Yes. I will try to take amp for auditions. I just wanted to know few things.

Following is the product description

T-Amp IC Tripath TA2020-20
Output Power 2 x 20W @ 4ohm, 2 x 12W @ 8ohm
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) 98dB
Dynamic Range 98dB
IHF-IM Distortion 0.1% @ 1W, 4ohm
THD Distortion
0.03% @ 9W, 4ohm
0.1% @ 10W 4ohm
0.1% @ 6W 8ohm
10% @ 23W 4ohm
10% @ 13W 8ohm
Power Efficiency 81% @ 20W, 4ohm, 88% @ 12W, 8ohm
Input Sensitivity 200mV

If I compare with JBL control one (highly suggested for this amplifier) then are they proper fit ?

what is a proper fit for an amplifier ?

I mean if power output of this amplifier is 20W then can i connect speaker with 25 W rating ? How does impedance matter ? JBL control one has 25 200 watts suggested amplifier power range.

JBL specs:

Driver bass /midrange - 100m
Power handling (peak / continous) - 200 W/50W
Maximum recommended amp power = 100 W RMS
Sensitivity- 89dB/2.83V/1m
Nominal impedance - 8 ohm

thanks in advance.
Sanket.

Sanket,

There would be multiple factors that would help you infer whether a speaker is suitable for an amp and vice versa. At the cost of over simplifying, I would say look at the sensitivity rating for said speaker, preferably 88db and above. ( A frequency impedance curve would paint a better picture though!)
Also look at the recommended amp power range, 25-200w as you have said in the case of the Control Ones.
Finally, audition it! Despite whatever specs it might have, some speakers might just do brilliantly with the few clean watts that the Topping supplies and vice versa.
Generally, 8 ohms speakers with a 90db or more sensitivity should be better for your Topping.

hi friends

I had oredered Topping 2020 via ebay.com but there is some problem with PayPal. They have blocked my payment for investigation but since I do not have Paypal account, i cant login to their website and go to RESOLUTION CENTER. So i guess my money will be refunded.

Please tell me how about ASTONIA ? has anyone auditioned it ? where in Pune can one audition it ?

Also please let me know about MARANTZ PM6004 and its good matches for BS speakers. Will it be good for 60/70s music which is what I listen for 90% of the time ?

Sanket

The PM600X series from Marantz are good entry level amps. You can find many threads on this forum about the same. It is supposed to pair well with Mordaunt Short Aviano 2.
There are some people who prefer the Marantz amp + Wharfedale bookshelf ( like Diamond 10.1) combo too. Search and you will find lots of info on the same. But finally, you can only know for sure, what does what well and whether it is to your liking, only by auditioning it on your own.

hi

Please tell me if i can do following kind of arrangement.

2 channel speaker should be common for TV as well as Computer based Stereo system. Then where do I place my Amp ?

Also i gather that there are certain speaker which are ACTIVE. means they are having theri own amplifier. so are they better then dedicated amp + speaker setup ? for example AUDIOENGINE A2 ?

Where in Pune can I audition these speakers

AUDIOENGINE A2
KEF Q300
MONITOR AUDIO BX2
Other good bookshelf suggestions are welcome.

Sanket.

Last edited:
hi

Please tell me if i can do following kind of arrangement.

2 channel speaker should be common for TV as well as Computer based Stereo system. Then where do I place my Amp ?

Also i gather that there are certain speaker which are ACTIVE. means they are having theri own amplifier. so are they better then dedicated amp + speaker setup ? for example AUDIOENGINE A2 ?

Where in Pune can I audition these speakers

AUDIOENGINE A2
KEF Q300
MONITOR AUDIO BX2
Other good bookshelf suggestions are welcome.

Sanket.

Hi All.

My search for speakers continues...

Recently came across reviews praising EMOTIVA AIRMOTIVE4/5 speakers....anybody have any of these ? what is the difference ? are they better than Audioengine A2 or SWAN M200 ?

Has anybody ordered any product from EMOTIVA ? How much duty/taxes above the quoted figure does one have to pay ?

Sanket

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back