Stereo Setup : Budget 35K Max - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS + ? Norge Amplifier........

Re: Stereo Setup : Budget 35K Max - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS + ? Norge Amplifier....

Congrats on selecting 2605 V2 FS, they are excellent.

When you are going with Norge remember one thing that it lacks a bit in the low frequency response. They are very warm in mid and highs and excellent for music but needs a mature ear.
People looking for heavy bass should look for other options like NAD. Sonodyne is balanced amp and pairs excellent with 2605 V2.

Re: Stereo Setup : Budget 35K Max - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS + ? Norge Amplifier....

Thanks for your input. In that case I will go for more proven and matching ampl9fier which is Sonodyne.

Hello ppl,

I have planned to build a good stereo system, have a budget of 35K. For now i am conisdering the Sonodyne Sonus FS 2605 V2 (24K) and a Norge Amplifier to drive it. later planning to get a good CD player..

I have extensively searched threads on this forum for a good Stereo setup. From what i read, Wharfedale 9.X sereies seems to be the favorite pick along with Norge amplifier 1000 for a budget setup.

My room size (hall) is 12*27(300 Sqft), so iam not considering the Wharfedale bookshelf nor i can't stretch my budget for FS from wharfedale. So i auditioned Sonodyne FS 2605 V2. I am very much impressed with it and have finalised the speakers. Now thinking abt the amplifier to drive it.

I dont want to go for an used amplifier (NAD, Marantz , CA & Others) as i can't stretch my budget beyond 11K for an amplifier.

From learning from this forum, many hve said Norge 1000 Coencentro gold is a forward sounding amplifier & Norge 2000 MOSFET Reference is a laid back amplifier. Also some remarks on Sonodyne FS is it is a bit bright speakers.

Few Q here
1) Is it good to match a bit bright speakers with a laid back amplifier ?

1) Which amplifer of Norge should i consider for Sonodyne FS 2605 V2 - Norge 1000 / 2000 ?

2) has any one tried this combo before.. Please give your inputs as i don't have an Norge dealer in Chennai.

3) If there is anyone from Chennai in this forum who has an Norge 1000/2000 Amplifier, can you spare couple of hrs on a weekend (preferable Sat) to audition this combination in a Sonodyne chennai dealer.

Regards
Elango

Bumping an old thread. But keen to ask you, that did u purchased the sonodyne 2605 towers? If yes, Then which amp did you finally choose with them ?

Bumping an old thread. But keen to ask you, that did u purchased the sonodyne 2605 towers? If yes, Then which amp did you finally choose with them ?

We finally purchased (For my brother) Mission M35i & NAD C326 Amplifier because there was not enough recommendation for Sonodyne 2605 here & no one was very sure about matching amplifier. This was more than 2 yrs back.

But after that i have auditioned sonus 2605 many times & i must say i am in love with this speaker for its performance & Price. Recommended Sonus 2605 HT setup for my friend & he is very happy.

Anyways, i am planning for this Sonus HT package this year end & regarding the parterning amplifier, Marantz will be a perfect match for this.

Marantz on the warmer side + Sonus on a lil brighter side should make execellent combo.:eek:hyeah:

Great!

By marantz , do u mean the Marantz PM5004 ? Will it be enough to drive the 2605 towers?

And how would be the Yamaha AS-500?

Great!

By marantz , do u mean the Marantz PM5004 ? Will it be enough to drive the 2605 towers?

And how would be the Yamaha AS-500?

Any amplifier that can output 50 Watts of consistent power can bring the best out of Sonus 2605, because it is 89db sensitivity.

Long back i had the dome of the FS with Yamaha AX-497, Stereo amplifier. That was really nice. it had ample power & could drive the FS with ease. i believe Yamah AX-497 had 85W power output same as AS-500.

What would be your source ?

Have to make a fresh purchase of both, an AMP as well as Speakers.

So considering different options.

Opt 1
* Sonodyne 2605 + Marantz PM5004
* Sonodyne 2605 + Sia 320

Opt 2
* Wharfedale 10.1 + Marantz PM5004

Not considering norge amps as of now.

What would you recommend ? As i can see from your signature that you own 9.2's with you and have also auditioned 2605 towers.

Is the difference between the sound of both of them is GREAT enough or marginally equal?

I have auditioned the 2605 towers but not yet auditioned the 10.1's yet.

Consider my room size to be 250sqft and music genre to be a mix of all genre's , I just listen to all sorts of music.

Have to make a fresh purchase of both, an AMP as well as Speakers.

So considering different options.

Opt 1
* Sonodyne 2605 + Marantz PM5004
* Sonodyne 2605 + Sia 320

Opt 2
* Wharfedale 10.1 + Marantz PM5004

Not considering norge amps as of now.

What would you recommend ? As i can see from your signature that you own 9.2's with you and have also auditioned 2605 towers.

Is the difference between the sound of both of them is GREAT enough or marginally equal?

I have auditioned the 2605 towers but not yet auditioned the 10.1's yet.

Consider my room size to be 250sqft and music genre to be a mix of all genre's , I just listen to all sorts of music.

From your list of probables, i have not auditioned SiA 320.

Did you like the 2605 ?

Yes. There is difference in sound quality. Diamond's on the laid back side & sonus 2605 on the lil brighter side. I would say 2605 with Marantz would be a excellent combo than Marantz + Wharfedale.

Diamond's 9.x/10.x series bookshelfs are of low sensitivity (86db). You are going to need very good amplification to make them shine. Any amplifier less than 85W consistent output will defnetly struggle to drive the diamonds.

My Marantz receiver ouput was 85W per channel as per the specification. But it struggled to drive the diamond 9.2's. So i bought the Sonodyne SPA 202 Power amplifier for around 12K (Used). It could output 130W consistently @ 6 ohms. I could feel the difference between the receiver & Power amplifier driving the diamond 9.2's.

For your room size FS will be a better option than BS. You will get a LARGE soundstage.

Last edited:

From the list Marantz + Wharfy seems to be the best pair. Why are you not considering Cambridge audio + Aviano 2? They are very good at this price point.

Two replies back to back, One FM suggests Marantz + 2605 to be better and another FM suggests Marantz + Wharfy to be best among the options I listed .

Haha this way I will never be able to decide what shall I finally buy.
Lets see what happens.

I have asked sonodyne guys for the price of 2605 towers and they quoted me 39k for the combo of 2605 + sia 320. Which is completely out f budget.
2605 alone would cost some 26k approx after discounts.

If i add PM5004 to 2605 towers then total cost will be near about 43k

The wharfy 10.1 + Pm5004 combo is costing me Rs 30,350 via hifimart.

Confused!!

Two replies back to back, One FM suggests Marantz + 2605 to be better and another FM suggests Marantz + Wharfy to be best among the options I listed .

Haha this way I will never be able to decide what shall I finally buy.
Lets see what happens.

I have asked sonodyne guys for the price of 2605 towers and they quoted me 39k for the combo of 2605 + sia 320. Which is completely out f budget.
2605 alone would cost some 26k approx after discounts.

If i add PM5004 to 2605 towers then total cost will be near about 43k

The wharfy 10.1 + Pm5004 combo is costing me Rs 30,350 via hifimart.

Confused!!

This happens :). Relax buddy. Tell us your Maximum budget. We will recommend combinations, you audition them, choose the ones you like :eek:hyeah:

Budget say initially was 20k, then I realized nothing comes in 20k.
Did some more additions and made it 30k , max to the stretch can go for 35k.

Budget say initially was 20k, then I realized nothing comes in 20k.
Did some more additions and made it 30k , max to the stretch can go for 35k.

Ok Great. 35K is good budget to start with. Tell us what is your source ? (DVD Player / CD Player / Media Player with FLAC,WAV & MP3) ?

Ok Great. 35K is good budget to start with. Tell us what is your source ? (DVD Player / CD Player / Media Player with FLAC,WAV & MP3) ?

Source is all collection in PC , Laptop and 1TB HDD , have a Fiio E7 DAC , so will use that . and also have a Philips DVD player and one Sandisk Sansa Fuze.

Source is all collection in PC , Laptop and 1TB HDD , have a Fiio E7 DAC , so will use that . and also have a Philips DVD player and one Sandisk Sansa Fuze.

Nice. So all you need is an amplifier & speaker. Unfortunately new hi-fi products cost a bomb in India. if you are fine to used stuff, take that route.

You can easily get an used amplifier from this forum for 10K. set aside a Max of 25K for the speakers. You will end up with a good system.

I took the used route and collected Marantz receiver, Sonodyne stereo amplieir & Sony CD player from this forum.

Nice. So all you need is an amplifier & speaker. Unfortunately new hi-fi products cost a bomb in India. if you are fine to used stuff, take that route.

You can easily get an used amplifier from this forum for 10K. set aside a Max of 25K for the speakers. You will end up with a good system.

I took the used route and collected Marantz receiver, Sonodyne stereo amplieir & Sony CD player from this forum.

Hmm .. Let anyone come up with used options of amplifiers in 10k approx.

Contact R.Narayanan. He has gone through a home demo of 2605V2 with Marantz, CA, Sonodyne 320 amps simultaneously.
He has found 320 to fare better than marantz or CA.

For 4K's don't let this combo get out of your hands. Else wait, for the15th of august or the month of October(Durga Puja) for company discounts. If not there will surely be a year ending company sale in the end of Jan'13 as usual at 26% discount.

Contact R.Narayanan. He has gone through a home demo of 2605V2 with Marantz, CA, Sonodyne 320 amps simultaneously.
He has found 320 to fare better than marantz or CA.

For 4K's don't let this combo get out of your hands. Else wait, for the15th of august or the month of October(Durga Puja) for company discounts. If not there will surely be a year ending company sale in the end of Jan'13 as usual at 26% discount.

Yeah , even I think the same. That going with the sonodyne combo is the best bet in my budget.

But I am also thinking that if i come across a used yamaha AS-500 amp at around 14-15k , then I can match this amplifier with sonodyne towers too.

Do u have any idea from where can I source the yamaha AS-500 @14-15k?

Also, advice me if I manage to get my hands on AS-500 amp, then would it be sense to buy the sonodyne towers or better save money and buy wharfedale 10.1's?

The diff between sound of sonodyne and wharfedale will be huge enough or just will they differ just marginally ??

Try the Wanted section in this forum. Try looking for equivalent models (AX Series) from Yamaha because you may not find the same model # in the used category.

Yeah , even I think the same. That going with the sonodyne combo is the best bet in my budget.

But I am also thinking that if i come across a used yamaha AS-500 amp at around 14-15k , then I can match this amplifier with sonodyne towers too.

Also, advice me if I manage to get my hands on AS-500 amp, then would it be sense to buy the sonodyne towers or better save money and buy wharfedale 10.1's?

The diff between sound of sonodyne and wharfedale will be huge enough or just will they differ just marginally ??

I have auditioned sonus towers with Yamaha AX 496.It's damn good sound.
The AS 500 is the newer version of it.Don't think you can get a second hand as of now. Go for yamaha AX 496 second if you can get one.
The diamond 10.1 with AS 500 stands no chance in front of Sonus + yamaha in terms of sound stage, details ,separation.
Also a second hand NAD could give good punch at the low end if you can get one.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back