Stereo Setup for small room

No doubt the B&W 685s are one of the best bookshelves. I had these lovely ones with me for about an year before my upgrade. To get the best out of these speakers it has to be paired with a powerful amp (minimum 120 watts @ 8 ohms recommended per channel) for two reasons ... Sensitivity level (db) of these speakers & the Kevlar Mid/Bass driver.

An integrated amplifier like NAD C372 (150 watts @ 8 ohms per channel) will be a good match for the B&W 685s.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Ramesh,
I have seen Rotel is best matching amp for 685, Some models like Rotel Ra-04 or 06. But both are 45Wpc/60Wpc.
As per your recommendation, then we have to look for powerful than 100W.

How do you choose amp , based on speaker out or any other factor to be consider ?

@ KVANDHI ..........

I see you are based at Chennai. Are you hell bent on spending 100k on your system?

Asking so, since PSYCHOTROPIC too is from Chennai. So, why don't you drop in at his place and hear out his system? You might end up saving at least 70k.

As a sign of gratitude, both Psycho and me should expect some cash in return .... if you make up your mind for going in for Psycho's system ... :)

Hi,

I went through a similar exercise about 2 weeks back. After thorough auditions I finalized the Norge 2060. Dont go by the low price tag to judge its quality. The 2060 amp clubbed with a good pair of speakers will work its magic.

Cheers !!

Visited Profx at Worli and heard these.

Polk Audio TSi 300
Polk Audio TSi 400

KEF iQ50

The KEF was too bright without any bass. The Polk sounded better to me. Not sure the TSi 400 is worth the price difference of 7K.

Also went to see Norge amps at Mahim. Met Mr. Bajaj. Very humble person. The 2060 was out of stock so I'll have to visit this Saturday to audition the amp and new speakers.

2060 quoted at 8.7K and FS speakers 20K. Very much within my budget. If I don't like it, may opt for the Polk FS and 2060. What say?

Last edited:
Suggest pls.

Am really new to the full stereo setup.

Am leaning towards the Polk Audio TSi 400. Price is 29K. Can I bring that down to say 25K at ProFX? Which amp can I use? An AVR would do?

shaiju, Imho, there are many other speakers available in this budget which you should listen to before you decide on the Polks.
As for amp, it is upto you. It would be best if you can go for a good integrated stereo amp rather than an AVR.
You can go for budget integrated like Marantz pm5003, Nad C326, CA 540 and the likes. But first audition some more speakers and decide on a good one. Then you should pair it with a suitable amp.
And just search a bit, there are a lot of threads with enough gyaan on two channel set ups.

Thanks iaudio.

Have gone through many threads here. Many suggest Polk, Wharfedale and B&W. Problem is I am pretty new to this and there are not many places I know in Mumbai. Visited Profx and may go to Jamo Shop tomorrow.

I am more inclined on the FS as I like their looks. Also the BS I heard at Profx were not too good compared to the Polk and KEF.

What is your suggestion? (don't worry I'll not tie your neck if I don't like your suggestions :) )

Actually, this will be my Christmas gift (to myself). I am calling some friends over in a weeks time for an overnight party and would like to get the system up before that.

Last edited:
Shaiju, it depends on what you want from your music system. What kind of music do you play? How do you like it to sound?
Generally, floorstanders will give you more bass but quantity doesnt necessarily mean quality. You have got about a month to Xmas, why dont you do some auditions?
Wharfedale 9/10 series, Mission m33,m34 or the new MX series, Q acoustics 1030/2050, psb Alpha series, Mordaunt Short MS906. You should also consider used speakers at this budget. You may across some gems.
Since you are in Bombay you could try Nibbana audio. They have Transmission line design speakers. Trade off could be the decreased flaunt value.
If you can audition/else buy blind, the Audire Callistos are very good option in this budget

Check Magmas speaker thread.

I like all kinds of music - Bollywood and Hollywood OST are staples. Other than that I listen to old classics, pop, R&B, soft rock, concerts. No hard rock or metal.

One thing definitely is that I listen to a lot of A.R. Rehman as I think his music is very layered and with every listen you catch a new instrument and the vocal plays.

I will not drive the speakers loud. I don't like too much bass or flat sound either - just a decent balance.

As I mentioned - the FS looks the part for me and I don't want stands for BS.

I am just looking up your suggested list.

Hey kittu, glad you to see you again on this thread.

iaudio, I google'd most from the list but some I couldn't find. Where can I demo in Mumbai?

For 25K what should I buy. Seriously I don 't want to do a lot of hunting - I'll learn with my first buy (just like my 2nd flat screen). I'll have the task of buying an amp too.

kittu, the only reason I didnt include that is because of the price.

Price factor yes I agree. But a well placed/Standmounted Titan monitor Bookshelf sounds better than polk TSI 300. Considering his choice of music ...

@Shaiju , There is a v4 version of Paradigm monitor 7 series available for 29k (overphone) . You can negotiate more if you like...

HFV guys,

Once again i am seeking your expertise on choosing amplifier for speaker.As spec of speakers says:
Recommended amp power (watts): 25 - 100 (8 ohms RMS) .
How do i choose amp for this , some where i can see 40WPC amp is suitable , but do we mean that 40+40 = 80W in total that ampl deliver. ?

When ever i see the WPC , i am always trying to sum up and things that this amp will blow my speaker (incase total sum up exceeds 100W).

Please clarify me on this .

kvandhi, no need to add it up. 40wpc mean 40 watts per channel. So that means 40 watts to your left speaker channel and 40 watts to your right speaker channel roughly.

kittu / iaudio - thanks!

Am going to audition a few speakers this weekend. Will update.

Thanks again - good speaking to both of you - not as lost as before.

kittu / iaudio - thanks!

Am going to audition a few speakers this weekend. Will update.

Thanks again - good speaking to both of you - not as lost as before.

We'll be looking forward to read your auditioning experience ? This time with real dancing pixel images ... :lol: okay.

Go for Cambridge Audio Dacmagic or something similar, ditch the amp and go for active monitors ,since you use your computer ,you can use the DAC as an outboard soundcard and additionally buy a remote control for your comp.The monitors I would probably go for would be the Genelec 8040A ,inbuilt biamplified 2 way system ,studio class product for nearfield monitoring.It should do fantastic duty in smaller rooms ( Genelec 8050A - Powerful Wideband Bi-Amplified Monitoring System )

You could also buy that and add a nice preamp and a Dac if you dont want to use the computer as an audio source ,I would however suggest that an outboard DAC is a must.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back