Stereo Setup - Sansui AU-717

spacenoxx

Hi,

I was planning to a stereo setup for music listening and had a budget of 50K. Been going through various forums to have a better idea of how to go about it such as buying Active Studio monitors or an Amp+Passive setup.

Luckily while talking to my friend he suggested I can have his Sansui AU-717 if I was interested for free as its been lying in his room unused for ages collecting dust. He apparently tested it a few months ago and found it to be working.

Was wondering if I can go ahead with this AMP or simply go for a newer AMP like a used Matantz PM5005 or something. Frankly I dont have a clue as this would be my first stereo setup:lol:

I also need to buy a pair of speakers to go with this. I mostly listen to EDM.

dOSGXjL.jpg

One of the Bests of Sansui. If you don't Please like them dont hesitate to Give it to me.Probably I shall recap them and use it.

I Dont Think Marantz Model which you have referred,Even cant touch the Sansui :)

You must have done some good deeds in your last birth to have such a friend who is offering you the AU-717 for free :)

Now that you know its worth and are a music lover its your duty to get the amp back to its past glory by doing a recap as it was not used for many years

Happy listening

AU 717 for free? Your friend must be a guy with a golden heart. There are a lot of people out there who rate the AU 717 as Sansui's second best amp ever, only behind the AU 919

Thank you all for your valuable input.

So which speakers would you recommend in the range of say 30k for primarily Bollywood and Trance.

Also some suggestions on DAC/Source..

Souravin,

Congrats and welcome to the Sansui Club :)

How is the difference between Sansui and Luxman ? Which is your fav ?

Kindly let me know, in case any Sansui 717 is available in good condition, from the Source you got it. I would be interested in them, though i have 719 :),No one can say Just one for Sansui's.

Thanks Audio_Freek. This is my second Sansui deck- the previous one being AU D7. I am already accustomed to Sansui sound and taking a foray into typical hi end Sansui rig. The sound is much clear and highs are top end. As I'm mostly into analogue with lots of R.D.Burman records, it's a big leap forward.

The Luxman model I have would not be a good comparison in this case I think. Sansui is a clear winner here.

Thanks,
Sourav

Souravin,

Congrats and welcome to the Sansui Club :)

How is the difference between Sansui and Luxman ? Which is your fav ?

Kindly let me know, in case any Sansui 717 is available in good condition, from the Source you got it. I would be interested in them, though i have 719 :),No one can say Just one for Sansui's.

Wow, if you don't want or like the 717 all you have to do is PM me ..... :eek:hyeah:

Jokes apart get it recapped if necessary and use it great amp. It's a warm sounding unit give slight open sounding speakers so that the lower registers dosnt mess up the timing and speed. Enjoy.

Yes Aanuj. I like warm sounds. My taste is for analogue and I do listen to bollywood oldies on vinyls. So this is going great for me.

This deck has been tested by a knowledgeable technician from Kasba, Kolkata and he says this is recapped- so I can enjoy this as of now without tinkering much the interior.

Thanks,
Sourav

Awesome and I'm sure you are talking about Mr Mondol from Kasba! Hope I'm right. Even I want my gear to sound warm even if I listen to Lamb of God or Black Eyed Peas or James Taylor! You have a awesome set of gears there from Luxman to Sansui to Uranus ..... ENVY.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back