Stereo Setup under 1L

noel shaju

Hi Everyone,

Im planning for a stereo setup, I previously owned Jamo C605 with elac esp 50 sub along with pioneer avr.Now Im confused whether to get a pair of floorstanders or to go with Bookshelf and a sub. I auditioned Polk RTI A7,Klipsch R26F, Jamo C95 and KEF Q500. I liked KEF and Jamo but not the Polk and Klipsch, the treble was sharp :( . But new jamo's are very costly and i dont think they are VFM the KEF too is priced much higher.I love deep tight bass and soft treble. Can someone suggest me any alternative around 1L for speakers and amp or are KEF and Jamo worth the extra money?

Thanks in Advance :)

imo go for floorstanders over bookshelves with a sub. kef q series is very good and if you like it then stick with it. amps to consider are marantz, nad, cambridge. on the lower side, the yamaha is good. you should also consider acoustic portrait which is a bangalore based setup. they have a 75w stereo amp which should suit your budget

Typically a stereo set should not have a sub, unless you listen to music with heavy bass. Two speakers are all you need. FS naturally lend themselves to lower frequencies because of larger/multiple LF drivers and cabinet. BS speakers may require stands. Plan to spend 40-60K on speakers, 40-50K on electronics and accessories. KEF is good. If you have the chance, listen to PSB imagine BS. They too are a fine set of speakers. Lots of happy Dali owners on the forum. You should be able to get feedback. Amp wattage between 40-80W is good. Choices of amp would be dictated by analog and or digital inputs

There is no rule. That's why I said typically.

Unlike in movie soundtracks for which a sub does immense justice, for music L/R will still do a decent job if they are spec'd as low as 40-50 Hz. These days even many small form factor speakers have a good LF response.
If adding a sub to a stereo setup, then the IA should ideally have bass management, which in turn will drive up the pricing.

BTW, Noel how big is your listening area?

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
As per what afj mentioned, if you plan to get Acoustic portrait, there are a pair of FS for sale as well in the forum. Together they are absolutely VFM. That is based on personal experience and hence I maybe biased :) But you should definitely have it in your list to check out!

Cheers
Satya

These days even many small form factor speakers have a good LF response.

Cheers,
Raghu

small form factor speakers having a low end response need not necessarily have the scale.

Ofcourse when you use a subwoofer, one needs to set it up correctly and thats not an impossibility.

many folks write opinions without even trying a 2.1 system at home and are influenced by whats put out there.

By going for a FS - there is no guarantee of a good bass response either

Which is where your question on room becomes relevant.

anyways.. to each his / her own !

regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back