Stereo Speakers phase

surfatwork

Hi,

Wonder if you guys can shed light on this.
I know (and have experienced) what happens when a pair of stereo speakers are wired out of phase... You get low bass and poor imaging.
However, I have a slightly puzzling situation with my current setup :
When wired correctly (checked with a multi), imaging is superb. The speakers simply disappear. However bass is reduced. Not absent, but definitely reduced. I am sure this is because of out of phase cancellation because I can hear more bass when I go near either of the speakers, but bass at the central listening position is diminished. But the imaging is fantastic and the vocals and instruments are in a 3d space that extends wide and deep.
If I wire one of the speakers out of phase, bass is reinforced. Way stronger. But the Soundstage isn't as good. The music now is mostly in between the two speakers. I can still place instruments, but definitely a much much smaller stage. And you know there are speakers - they don't disappear.
Speakers are placed about 6 feet apart, 15" or so from the back wall. Slightly toed in. Port plugs in place since the smallish room is kind of bare and some songs boom.
Raspi 3 - > allo transport - > bryston pre - > peeceebee v4 Diy - > mission m53.
Cabling, if it makes a difference : Allo to bryston is qunex. Bryston to amp is Allo. Speaker cables are Linn.

The best way to check is a simple polarity/phase check track or a right/lest/center track. You can find it on you tube,

When out of phase the sound will be diffused which can be misinterpreted as being 3 dimensional.

Hi,

Wonder if you guys can shed light on this.
I know (and have experienced) what happens when a pair of stereo speakers are wired out of phase... You get low bass and poor imaging.
However, I have a slightly puzzling situation with my current setup :
When wired correctly (checked with a multi), imaging is superb. The speakers simply disappear. However bass is reduced. Not absent, but definitely reduced. I am sure this is because of out of phase cancellation because I can hear more bass when I go near either of the speakers, but bass at the central listening position is diminished. But the imaging is fantastic and the vocals and instruments are in a 3d space that extends wide and deep.
If I wire one of the speakers out of phase, bass is reinforced. Way stronger. But the Soundstage isn't as good. The music now is mostly in between the two speakers. I can still place instruments, but definitely a much much smaller stage. And you know there are speakers - they don't disappear.
Speakers are placed about 6 feet apart, 15" or so from the back wall. Slightly toed in. Port plugs in place since the smallish room is kind of bare and some songs boom.
Raspi 3 - > allo transport - > bryston pre - > peeceebee v4 Diy - > mission m53.
Cabling, if it makes a difference : Allo to bryston is qunex. Bryston to amp is Allo. Speaker cables are Linn.

When the stereo speakers are in phase (provided they are wired correctly internally and externally and have a proper and technically correct crossover), then you should hear the vocals from the phantom center, music from left and right and ambient sounds from around you.
If wired incorrectly, you are not sure where the vocals are coming from.

So from you above description, you may have it all opposite.

Regards,

Ravindra.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back