Stereo System

bmdelhi

:)

Hi All,

I am new entrant to this forum. For pas couple of days I have been going through various informative piece of information on this forum. I am planning to set up my entry level stereo set up. The ratio for Music to Video is 60:40.

As I am new to all the terminology, please help me out to differentiate between Amp, power-amp, pre-amp, av-receviers, speakers with difference between floorstander or bookshelf (features), difference between 2.1 channels and 5.1 channels, cables, DAC etc.

What initially I am looking for is a music system which may have a DVD player, audio cassette player, AM/FM receiver, a good amplifier with good speakers and woofers.

As this is going to be my first ?? entry level system, my budget is limited to 50-60K,

My city of residence is Ghaziabad/Delhi.

Please help.

Thanks,

B.Mohan

Mohan

first you need to decide, what kind of setup you are looking at...

Is it stereo setup for sure...as it will only have two front speakers, and you will not be able to add more speakers, in the same amplifier after that...

If you are looking to go for an 5.1/7.1 in later stages, in that case, you need to go for an regular reciever, with a pair of speakers, and later on you can add speakers to your setup...

Mohan,

If music is a high priority and HT an afterthought, my personal suggestion would be to spend the money on a good stereo setup and worry about the HT later.

Your speakers and ampifier will continue to be usefull and can be integrated into the HT setup later.

But, before you take advice from anyone, you should visit an AV store and listen to a pair of decent speakers on a budget receiver and a budget stereo integrated. If to your ears, the stereo integrated sounds far superior, then that's the way to go.

When auditioning, remember to take your favourite CDs with you. Remember to pick some CDs which will be demanding for the setup.

For recommendations on speakers and amplification, it will help to know your room size and taste in music.

[FONT="Arial"][/FONT]
:confused:

Thanks Guys,

I am not sure whether I should go for 2.1 or 5.1/7.1? Initially I would like to start with a good entry level music system which should have provision for add on. Right now my priority is music (60-70%), my room size is 10x11. I would like to go for a decent amplifier ?? receiver, CD/DVD player and speakers. At present my budget is between 50-70K.

Please provide me with your useful suggestions.

Thanks,

B.Mohan

Hi,

Mohan its quite natural to get confused !! but here what I suggest for you,which might make things less complicated for you !!

In the budget of 70K you can most deffently get a good integrated amp and speakers but squeezing a CD player inside is bit tough but manageable ! the reason is, you can get a solid integrated ( little above entry level) for 35K and for 30K a very very decent sounding tower or stand mount !! rest can be used for speaker cables and interconnects !!

So if you must add the CDP into the equation then I'd say 15K max for CDP,20K for the amp and rest to speakers and cable !! but this will not be that good as the first option but you have to manage !

As with question of "ADD ON" the speakers are the only one which will of use if you purchase an AVR,DVD and plan to buy the rest of the speakers and make Hometheater !! but that doesn't mean that its curtains for the CDP and the Stereo !! you can use still use it for the music listening and use the AVR for movies (thats what Am doing now ),thats also the most preferred choice ! to keep stereo and HTS separate (only using the fronts,that too if its must).

Please do let Us know your views on this ;) ! Then we can suggest on brand specific models and suitable options (Am not suggesting any right now is to avoid further confusion to you).

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi,

Mohan its quite natural to get confused !! but here what I suggest for you,which might make things less complicated for you !!

In the budget of 70K you can most deffently get a good integrated amp and speakers but squeezing a CD player inside is bit tough but manageable ! the reason is, you can get a solid integrated ( little above entry level) for 35K and for 30K a very very decent sounding tower or stand mount !! rest can be used for speaker cables and interconnects !!

So if you must add the CDP into the equation then I'd say 15K max for CDP,20K for the amp and rest to speakers and cable !! but this will not be that good as the first option but you have to manage !

As with question of "ADD ON" the speakers are the only one which will of use if you purchase an AVR,DVD and plan to buy the rest of the speakers and make Hometheater !! but that doesn't mean that its curtains for the CDP and the Stereo !! you can use still use it for the music listening and use the AVR for movies (thats what Am doing now ),thats also the most preferred choice ! to keep stereo and HTS separate (only using the fronts,that too if its must).

Please do let Us know your views on this ;) ! Then we can suggest on brand specific models and suitable options (Am not suggesting any right now is to avoid further confusion to you).

Regards.

Hi Thanks once again,

You are perfectly right. I can go without the CDP also. Please suggest me different sets of integrated amp and speakers. I will prefer small sized speakers. Do mention separately the CDP also.

Please suggest what all I would be requiring to convert the same to a HTS ?? AVR, DVD P, additional speakers.

Please suggest the best configuration possible within the current budget for Stereo system as well as HTS with their make/model and approx. price.

Thanks,

B Mohan

Mohan,

Get the best 2ch amp and speakers of your choice, you can afford in your given budget. Later if you want to upgrade to a HT, just buy a good AVR with Pre-Outs. Integrate the 2ch amp with the AVR, balance the rest of the channels using the receiver??s test tones.

Best Regards.

Hi,

Ok fine,one last question before the recommendations begins !! please do let Us know the music taste !! what kinda music you like or prefer and listen usually ( though occasionally you may listen something else as well).

This is very important coz this is what decides the amp and speakers !! Am terribly sorry that I didn't ask in my previous post !!

Regards.

Hi,

I mainly listen to Ghazals from Jagjit Singh and Begum Akhtar. I also do listen to western and Indian, jazz, soft rock, Hindi songs new and Old, bhajans etc..

Thanks,

B Mohan

Hi,

I mainly listen to Ghazals from Jagjit Singh and Begum Akhtar. I also do listen to western and Indian, jazz, soft rock, Hindi songs new and Old, bhajans etc..

Thanks,

B Mohan

Audition some fine Valve based integrated amps.

Check Lyrita Integre Valve amp 36 WPC Class AB. Cost approx: 37K

Check Jolida Hybrid amps 1701 (50 WPC ) or 1501RC (100 WPC) . Cost apporx 45K

ARCAM A-xx series is also good for this type of music. Bit costly 50K +.

Audition some fine Valve based integrated amps.

Check Lyrita Integre Valve amp 36 WPC Class AB. Cost approx: 37K

Check Jolida Hybrid amps 1701 (50 WPC ) or 1501RC (100 WPC) . Cost apporx 45K

ARCAM A-xx series is also good for this type of music. Bit costly 50K +.

Hi SuhasG,

Thanks for the information. Can you please provide the details of places where they are available in Delhi.

Thank,

B Mohan

Lyrita is right there in new Delhi. Check Lyrita Audio web site. Contact the owner Mr Viren Bakshi.

Check for any trade -in gear, Viren offers buy back option for his customers who want to up grade and with intorduction of Lyrita 2A3 SET amp (and forth coming 845 SET)some of Lyrita customers are either switched or in the porcess of switching so chances of finding a trade-in 36W are quite high.

For Jolida you need to contact Oceanic sound and vsision , Pune.

You can audition ARCAMs at its dealer in New Delhi.

Hope this helps

SUhas

Hi,

Sorry I thought Suhas had given some choice so.. !

Anyway I too would suggest to look at value Amps since its best suited for the kind of music you listen !!

The only problem is if you allocate the major portion of your budget to the Amp then the speakers will take a beating !!

So what I would suggest to you is not to cross the 40K mark for Amp under any circumstances !! so in that budget apart from the already mentioned Amps my suggestions are, Cambridge Audio 740A,NAD 355BEE.

The speakers would be (keeping the leftover budget in mind) wharfedale Diamond 9.6 ( best suited for music and movies) and Quad 12 L2 amazing speaker especially for music and that too with valve amp combination ! but the sad part is,its a stand mount (bookshelf) so in the movie cannot be used for fronts !! try some MS or Dali stuff, see whether you like the sound !!

But be warned that if you go for valve Amps the speakers have to matched very carefully and it in all probability the set-up will be a pure audio set-up and generally will not suit movies :p !

Please don't rush,just take your time and Audition each very carefully to make a mental note of all the pros and cons that you think of that particular speaker and amp !! then finaly if something is very close say 90% of your liking then go for it ( as you can never get 100%):p !!

Before I forget, if you are checking out Mr.Virens Valve Amps then also please give his towers a serious Audition ! they are based on my fav design (check my towers thread for more details,links in the signature) and should be very good :) !!

Please do let Us know of your progress and keep Us updated !! anymore help ?? do the usual drill ;)!

Regards.

Hi,
Arcam may be pricey. Valve amps is something that merits a serious listen as its an entirely different flavour but i still feel as a start up its safest to stick to a decent cdp + SS integrated and the best speakers that u can afford. Try and be practical at allocating the resources.
For ur musical tastes a marantz integrated+ cdp should also be considered.
Also look out for used amps though i would prefer opting for a new cdp.
Regards

Hi

Check the Marantz Cd 5001 , Marantz Pm 4001 and Speakers from Quad 11L .
If the budget is beyond your limit , try MA Bronze or Mordaunt short 902i .

Also you can try the Quad 11L with the Lyrita Tube amps.

regards

Tharun.

Hi
Also you can try the Quad 11L with the Lyrita Tube amps.
Viren had suggested speakers with sensitivity around 90dB or more as they require less amp power to drive, and suit valve amps better.

Quad 11L have a sensitivity of 86dB. Do they pair well?

What price range to these (Quad 11L) fall into?

~dich

As far as I can get from your mail...you have limited knowledge about Hifi equipment.
I would suggest you to buy a HTIb as in Home Theatre In a box. I am not a fan of these but it will be the least complicated for you. And since this is your first hand experience with hifi...you would be blown anyways.
This will help you to understand hifi equip and you would be able to relate to sound. And, perhaps after a year or so u can upgrade.
I would suggest the following brands for HTIb
1. Definitive technologies
2. Onkyo

Sumit

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back