Stuffing in Speaker - Need guidance

With my very little experience .... currently i feel the best thing (atleast in terms of ease) is to do the following:
Put the bass driver in a box ... and leave the mid+tweeter or FR on OB
(ofcourse...you did a lot of work in this route :):))
Agree completely if their SPL matches. Making a TL is more cumbersome.

If you are designing the speakers with drivers and box of your choice with known specifications, then you have to plan the stuffing accordingly. If you are doing it for speakers designed by someone else, just go by what sounds better to you. My experience is that open cell foam is useful for absorbing the extra/booming bass, pollyfill helps in cleaning up the boxy lower mid-range and shouty mid-range (glasswool is even better). Stuffing has no impact on the treble as most tweeters have no acoustic connection with the speaker chamber. If you have the bass and mid-range drivers in the same acoustic chamber, then you could create a partition between the two using a couple of layers of thick open cell foam sheets. Too much foam would kill the bass.
Some vintage speakers had just a cotton pillow behind the driver, and they sounded wonderful.

regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Matches my observations as well.

Matching SPL is easy if you use an active crossover and separate amplifiers for the drivers
That's one of the main reason for me to go active way but for a different reason, I use this benefit as tone control as many recordings have too much bass injected while mixing.
I have seen a general resistance towards active way though. But have not seen anyone (yet) coming back from active way once tried.

I use both passive and active depending on situation, but will always prefer active when things are under my control.

Still question remains unanswered.
Why speakers liked attached are ok without stuffing?
Even tabla dont hav stuffing even it fitted in metal pot still gives sweet bass.
So what difference stuffed tabla would make?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1543516346445.jpg
    FB_IMG_1543516346445.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 9
Still question remains unanswered.
Why speakers liked attached are ok without stuffing?
Even tabla dont hav stuffing even it fitted in metal pot still gives sweet bass.
So what difference stuffed tabla would make?
This is an important question and I am not the right person to even try answering that, still will do so for the sake of continuing this discussion and putting whatever little common sense telling me the "could be"answer.

The speaker in Sudheer's post seems to have closed back drivers (both) which does not excite cabinet interior space.

Closed/vented/ported/TL needs stuffing to absorb energy that the back motion of drivers inject into the cabinet. So that, those energies do not hamper front motion of the driver to produce sound we listen at room. TL speakers use the air column of the line hence it need not be stuffed completely, so that the air column does not get disturbed in forming.
Stuffing does reduce sound energy, but do not cancel it, hence sound will be generated inside cabinet and through the port. Stuffing can reduce this energy hence will reduce Sound Pressure Level inside the cabinet (at exit too). Low frequencies (LF), having more inertia of greater air mass is not reduced as much as high frequency ones. that's why we can hear LFs through the exit port. And these internal energy of LFs are at the same time impact LF sound quality of the front wave. So, proper stuffing can make a good compromise of reducing internal war of waves and increasing supporting outer energy through ports/lines. Drivers on the other hand are on the same principal designed differently to suit closed cabinet speakers.

Tabla use the space inside to create the resonance, hence stuffing that space will reduce reverb/augmentation. Same goes for other percussion instrument and string instruments like Guitar (open cabinet), Sarod (closed).

I will be immensely happy if this common sense answer is rejected or corrected with more technical answer to the actual question.

When one design an enclosure using simulation softwares isnt stuffing considered and output of simulation doesnt shows where to stuff?

It doesn't show where to stuff. But it shows frequency responce graph variation based on light, medium, and heavy stuffing.

In a closed box if the wavelength is longer than the longest dimension then no resonances occur. The air just appears to the driver as a mass with spring, it just stiffens the movement. This is the compliance controlled region. T/S parameters help to model this frequency region.

When the wavelengths become smaller (as frequency goes up) internal resonances develop, the first one to occur is the one corresponding to the longest dimension. As frequency goes up other resonances develop corresponding to smaller dimensions. Not all resonances are heard outside depending on the driver and many other factors.

In order to deal with the resonances, one approach is to dampen them, take for example Linkwitz Pluto and LXMini, both use a long pipe that has strong resonance due to the large dimension. It is suppressed by stuffing.

Other approach is to model the resonance and use it to advantage, this is done in transmission line designs, the stuffing is just light enough to dampen other resonances higher up, the primary ones are not damped by design.

Many roads to Rome.

In a closed box if the wavelength is longer than the longest dimension then no resonances occur. The air just appears to the driver as a mass with spring, it just stiffens the movement. This is the compliance controlled region. T/S parameters help to model this frequency region.

When the wavelengths become smaller (as frequency goes up) internal resonances develop, the first one to occur is the one corresponding to the longest dimension. As frequency goes up other resonances develop corresponding to smaller dimensions. Not all resonances are heard outside depending on the driver and many other factors.

In order to deal with the resonances, one approach is to dampen them, take for example Linkwitz Pluto and LXMini, both use a long pipe that has strong resonance due to the large dimension. It is suppressed by stuffing.

Other approach is to model the resonance and use it to advantage, this is done in transmission line designs, the stuffing is just light enough to dampen other resonances higher up, the primary ones are not damped by design.

Many roads to Rome.
Thanks a lot for the inputs....
By the way, this is just a thought, (may be impractical)

Just behind the driver, or on the rear wall, if we place any irregular shaped solid objects, do they help in scattering the sound waves in all directions ??? (Instead of hitting the rear and front walls repeatedly) Atleast the standing waves will get scattered ???

Or, if we add thin wooden pieces as braces connecting the left and right walls, at a 45degree angle, will they divert the sound waves reflect down at an angle, instead of hitting the rear wall directly....
(Not sure if I explained my idea properly)

I guess how effective they will be depends on wavelength and amplitude of different frequencies though ....

Thanks a lot for the inputs....
By the way, this is just a thought, (may be impractical)

Just behind the driver, or on the rear wall, if we place any irregular shaped solid objects, do they help in scattering the sound waves in all directions ??? (Instead of hitting the rear and front walls repeatedly) Atleast the standing waves will get scattered ???

Or, if we add thin wooden pieces as braces connecting the left and right walls, at a 45degree angle, will they divert the sound waves reflect down at an angle, instead of hitting the rear wall directly....
(Not sure if I explained my idea properly)
B&W DM302 :)
untitled.png

Very effective but will need stuffing [light?] too because the wedges will just raise the frequency of the standing waves.
Little laborious....but this can be done by glueing many scrap wooden pieces :D:D

But the question is, can we do it as we like? Or it should be very calculative and optimum, and backed by some theory. .... ;)

Little laborious....but this can be done by glueing many scrap wooden pieces :D:D

But the question is, can we do it as we like? Or it should be very calculative and optimum, and backed by some theory. .... ;)
I would take the "ghetto" approach because I'm like that!
I would look for material that will take up minimal volume. I would glue up a stack of corrugated sheets at least an inch thick. Then with a knife I would carve out the wedges at least 4 inches long. No calculations used here - just eyeballing the B&W DM302 wedges :)
I would then stick those to any one inner wall.
But one can go crazy with stuff like this - knock yourself out! :p

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back