Sub for KEF LS 50

Well ...
You are intending to use LS50 for both music listening and as fronts in HT mode.
As you may have gathered from the thread, the AVR "may" turn out to be the weak link power wise.
AVRs specialize in decoding variety of audio and video content, distributing power, room equalization, etc.
They can host a whole bunch of audio and video sources, like the ones you have.

These particular speakers are mostly procured by enthusiasts for their performance in a dedicated 2-Channel setup.
If you decide to setup a 2-channel rig, you may still be able to retain the AVR for HT/Gaming and TV with what ever you have.
You will need an integrated (stereo) amp or pre/power combination to drive the LS50.
The content on your PC can be played into the Integrated Amp (via an outboard DAC if necessary).

I think, for now, the setup will be:
PC --> AVR --> LS50
DVD --> AVR --> LS50
Both these will use HDMI to transfer signal to AVR

In case of a separate setup for music:
PC --> (DAC) --> Integrated Amp --> LS50 (simplest way)
PC --> (DAC) --> preamp --> power amp --> LS50 (a bit more complicated)
DACs have a USB input to connect with PC

If the speakers are shared between the setups, it becomes more challenging.
You will need some kind of switch to select which amp drives the speakers.

As you are probably aware, any foray into separate 2-ch setup will involve substantial budgetary/space planning.
So my advice, again will be, take it one step at a time.
Hook up with local FMs, play out stuff, seek advice and proceed diligently.

Cheers,
Raghu

Wow, this info was very informative, thanks a lot .

Hello friends ,Got KEF LS 50 for GRT deal at Taiwan.
Pls suggest sub for these speakers.
I have a yam rx-v 479 Amp.
Also how to get the best out of these speakers .
Brgds sushil

I have read the thread till current, but this is the appropriate post to respond to, IMHO as is what follows.

Audio/ audiophile is a journey. At one point I was all after the LS50. Nearly bought it for $900 (except that I couldn't spring for pelican cases and excess baggage). The demo was with McIntosh amplification, in a large hall at a Magnolia in Denver, they sounded great. I could not pick them up and was feeling bad about missing the buy.

I heard them again (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/speakers-which-one-yet-another.52412/post-783735) in Chennai, with some standard issue AVR/ Integrated and was very underwhelmed. These LS50 need decent / quality amplification. That's a problem of revealing speakers they show the beauty (or the wartiness of everything upstream).

On my journey/ missteps I mostly held that a sub was superfluous. I was wrong. As wrong as my first baby step of buying an amp and a pair of speakers and hoping for rainbow farting unicorn level 2ch goodness. I only got the farts.

The kef LS50 will need stands, a quality amp careful position and some room treatment (and source, Dac etc) It will then proceed to deliver rainbow farting pony level goodness. And like I said my first audition was very enjoyable.

It is rated 70hz, the in room real world response may be (somewhat) different. And if you want the heavy horses version of the musical unicorn you will need a sub. Like I said up thread I had a recent ear and wallet opening experience. FM Arj has explained much better than I can how overcoming the challenges of integration can be very rewarding in terms of SQ. And there is the matter of getting a fast musical sub. One with amplification and filters and XO and the whole shebang. A REL maybe ? But that can be for another day.

There's plenty to sort and figure out before that.

ciao
gr

I have read the thread till current, but this is the appropriate post to respond to, IMHO as is what follows.

Audio/ audiophile is a journey. At one point I was all after the LS50. Nearly bought it for $900 (except that I couldn't spring for pelican cases and excess baggage). The demo was with McIntosh amplification, in a large hall at a Magnolia in Denver, they sounded great. I could not pick them up and was feeling bad about missing the buy.

I heard them again (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/speakers-which-one-yet-another.52412/post-783735) in Chennai, with some standard issue AVR/ Integrated and was very underwhelmed. These LS50 need decent / quality amplification. That's a problem of revealing speakers they show the beauty (or the wartiness of everything upstream).

On my journey/ missteps I mostly held that a sub was superfluous. I was wrong. As wrong as my first baby step of buying an amp and a pair of speakers and hoping for rainbow farting unicorn level 2ch goodness. I only got the farts.

The kef LS50 will need stands, a quality amp careful position and some room treatment (and source, Dac etc) It will then proceed to deliver rainbow farting pony level goodness. And like I said my first audition was very enjoyable.

It is rated 70hz, the in room real world response may be (somewhat) different. And if you want the heavy horses version of the musical unicorn you will need a sub. Like I said up thread I had a recent ear and wallet opening experience. FM Arj has explained much better than I can how overcoming the challenges of integration can be very rewarding in terms of SQ. And there is the matter of getting a fast musical sub. One with amplification and filters and XO and the whole shebang. A REL maybe ? But that can be for another day.

ciao
gr
Appreciate man

@RAJUSH26 Please do not hurry on decisions. Get the speakers home, use them for a few days. Your AVR is the weak link, but that can be sorted later if needs to be. The first thing is to work the speakers in your room and see how they perform. Some have spent years trying to refine their systems, so do listen to what they have to say, the one thing i can say is do not hurry with decisions.

ciao
gr

I'd fully endorse GR sirs view here. You got some great speakers there . They are brutally honest about what's behind the line. So they need very good amplification with lots of current to drive them to their potential . Iam usually an advocate of using AVR's with book shelves and subs, because of their seamless integration .

So if you feel you need to add a sub, then it will be a completely different rabbit hole to crawl into. You will need an avr with main front L&R pre outs, and a power amp ..So that the power amp driver the kef ls50's and the avr blends in the sub with it room eq and DSP.

But I would caution to first live with the speakers for a few months to see wether you need a sub or not.

Glad to meet another sailor here..don't worry about the weight, Iam lugging back 130 kgs of luggage on this trip back when I sign off :)

Was
I'd fully endorse GR sirs view here. You got some great speakers there . They are brutally honest about what's behind the line. So they need very good amplification with lots of current to drive them to their potential . Iam usually an advocate of using AVR's with book shelves and subs, because of their seamless integration .

So if you feel you need to add a sub, then it will be a completely different rabbit hole to crawl into. You will need an avr with main front L&R pre outs, and a power amp ..So that the power amp driver the kef ls50's and the avr blends in the sub with it room eq and DSP.

But I would caution to first live with the speakers for a few months to see wether you need a sub or not.

Glad to meet another sailor here..don't worry about the weight, Iam lugging back 130 kgs of luggage on this trip back when I sign off :)
Was Worried about carrying the KEF's in the original box , could attract undie attention from the cust..s.
Since also carrying PC hardware worth almost 1800 USD purchase price Taiwan.

Friends,
packed the KEF's in a handbag with packing material, thermocol, bubble wrap and stuff .
Tied with heaving rope .

Ekdum mast.
But , luggage almost 65 kgs , flying Malaysia to mumbai

Connected old Sony speakers and new KEF speakers to the same port of the yam amp ,giving little overall bass .

Connected old Sony speakers and new KEF speakers to the same port of the yam amp ,giving little overall bass .
Do not do that. If both speakers are connected together the impedence drops and your Amp may blow or even fry your tweeter the ls50 doesn't do bass bass and on a receiver you won't get bass as well.

These speakers will not shine and sing with that amplification. They are not known for their bass prowess. Their strengths are coherence and transparency. How is the stereo image, how do you like the mids/ highs. Having said that hooking them and plonking them is not going to get you a decent listening experience, a little care and attention and you will have that sorted :)

Maybe this Darko linky will make you understand them a bit better https://darko.audio/2013/07/kef-ls50-loudspeakers-w-three-budget-amplifiers/.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back