Sub-Woofer for Indian Music (e.g. Tabla bass drum)

druk2004

Hi,

Plz suggest which sub-woofer would be good choice for Indian music listening experience. Special focus on the Bass drum of Tabla.
I have a Denon AVR 1600H. I have polks for the speakers: TSX 330T for fronts.

I am more inclined towards 12 inch sub.

BR
Roy

12 inchers are overkill, for tabla bayan good mid bass or upper low bass is more than enough, you may look for Rel T5x, if it is on your budget

Budget max 70-80k, Room size: Living Room .... 20x11
For music, you can't go wrong with REL/Rythmic subwoofer. Check with your local dealers if they have anything in your budget. Prices are highly inflated right now, especially with REL.

@Love4sound - anything available in Rythmic in that range?

Hi,

Plz suggest which sub-woofer would be good choice for Indian music listening experience. Special focus on the Bass drum of Tabla.

BR
Roy

See the sale section...there is a SVS PB1000 for sale which should work well for your requirement

For music, you can't go wrong with REL/Rythmic subwoofer. Check with your local dealers if they have anything in your budget. Prices are highly inflated right now, especially with REL.

@Love4sound - anything available in Rythmic in that range?
Yes the rythmik L12. It’s a good sub for both movies and music. It should be available for 70k with discounts.

You can also look into sonodyne sub 1010, its a studio sub, from specs it looks it doesn't go deep but should be good for indian drum instruments.

Hi,

BR
Roy

The Tabla has a frequency range from 70 Hz to almost 7K which is an amazing range. you need a sub which can go down to at least 35Hz at 3dB and integrate well with your main speakers and for that even a 10" sub is good enough so rather than the driver size go for the quality of the sub

Setup of the sub will also be very important. I personally would prefer a REL and connect it at speaker level for the best integration rather than use the LFE.

The Tabla has a frequency range from 70 Hz to almost 7K which is an amazing range. you need a sub which can go down to at least 35Hz at 3dB and integrate well with your main speakers and for that even a 10" sub is good enough so rather than the driver size go for the quality of the sub

Setup of the sub will also be very important. I personally would prefer a REL and connect it at speaker level for the best integration rather than use the LFE.
IMO 35Hz extension will make it sound thicker than it should sound, I reckon 50Hz is the sweet spot with a roll off from a sealed sub, a driver that can extend to about 300Hz (but rolled off with a LPF) will suit this as well I reckon.

For music, in my opinion you should look for speakers that can go low in the frequency range rather than a sub woofer.

MaSh

IMO 35Hz extension will make it sound thicker than it should sound, I reckon 50Hz is the sweet spot with a roll off from a sealed sub, a driver that can extend to about 300Hz (but rolled off with a LPF) will suit this as well I reckon.
Since the tabla is a 70 hz fundamental ,I would assume it needs to have at least the 35Hz subharmonic to get the timbre right. if a sub is making it sound thicker then its not been setup well..the lower the sub goes shouldn't the the sound be more real
After reading all the posts, I also feel the same. Any suggestions for such speakers ?
your current speakers at 45hz actually are low enough...you need to spend a lot moree to go lower and that money is better spent on a better 2 channel amp than a subwoofer or speaker to improve the quality of bass than the quantity,

Since the tabla is a 70 hz fundamental ,I would assume it needs to have at least the 35Hz subharmonic to get the timbre right. if a sub is making it sound thicker then its not been setup well..the lower the sub goes shouldn't the the sound be more real

I don't agree, the lower a sub goes the thicker and more boomy the sound. If by setup you mean flat response that is.

How do we connect at Speaker Level ? Can you plz explain ....

ok..no clue on that since I prefer not going down that route...
How do we connect at Speaker Level ? Can you plz explain ....
REL has that option. a special cable whose one end connects to the Amp speaker output and other end to a Sub High level in, so it works as an extension of the speaker.

your current speakers at 45hz actually are low enough...you need to spend a lot moree to go lower and that money is better spent on a better 2 channel amp than a subwoofer or speaker to improve the quality of bass than the quantity,
I am also thinking about going for a 2 Channel Amp + Separate speakers for a Music setup. Can you plz suggest Amp + speaker options for a budget within 2 lacs ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back