Subs: Elac S10 or Dual SVS PB-1000 ?

Hi Everyone

I had a chance to Audition Elac S10 and two SVS PB-1000 .

1. The Elac S10 (Paired with Denon-x2200) was sitting inside a room the size of 16' (L) x 10'(W) x 8' (H)
  2. The two SVS PB-1000 (Paired with Marantz SR-7009) were sitting inside the room the size of 22'(L) x 18'(L) x 10'(H).
I auditioned few music FLAC since I am more interested in music, though I will watch movies.

For some reason I felt S10 had good chest rumble than the two SVS-PB 1000.
Two thing I had to note was

1. When the Audyssey was disabled I could feel the same rumble from both PB-1000 but I also could hear sub overdoing the 200Hz beats as well.
  2. S10 was sitting inside a room which was smaller than the PB-1000.

Now, my room is 16'(L) x 12'(W) x 9'(H) and I am planning to get Marantz SR-6010 with either Polk RtiA7 or Wharfedale 240 or SVS Prime Floor Standers.

The floor standers confusion requires another thread :rolleyes:

I am confused which floor stander would go better with these subs and which sub can have better chest rumble for my room size.

I do understand that S10 can do a min of 30Hz where as PB-1000 can go as low as 19Hz so I know it's not fair to compare both. But in few years I might move back to my old home which is larger than the size of the room I auditioned for PB-1000 by around 500 cubic feet and hence the confusion.

Last edited:
Hi

As for floor standers, you need to audition with your kind of music on the preferred avr (Marantz) in order to make a fair decision...

Thumb rule....speakers which can perform closer to 20hz at the minimum and beyond 19khz are supposed to be the best.....obviously towers can go as low as 40hz and hence a sub is required to compensate for missing bass...

There are a variety of subs in the market, front firing, floor firing, ported or sealed etc...

Subs with ports can give out more punch and lower frequencies.....subs with cone sizes of 10 inch and beyond are capable of going lower than 25hz which is essential for movies, jazz music etc....

Audition all that you can and decide.....Definitive Technology is also good....See their SM45 or SM 55 appeal hugely for music...add a sub and you are set.....

You tube has a lot of videos to give you a fair background....

All the best

In my experience, bass response is heavily dependent on the room. Its very possible that you will find the Elac or the SVS working differently in your room.
Also 2 subs work better than one because they can cancel out room modes. 4 is even better. 8 is a recipe for divorce.

I have been suggested to get dual PB-2000 and I fell it's an overkill for my 1800 cubic feet room size though dual PB-1000 are fine I guess.

What do you guys think?

Hi

Sub levels are usually kept at 50% on the sub and levels on AVR are calibrated by Audyssey setup.....

Depending on your budget, decide....you may better off with one sub rather than two subs...all depends on placement and room acoustics...

Remember, dealers have special treated rooms to give customers the wow experience...we need to get to ground reality and see how a sub performs with existing furniture in the room and with the windows open....

Hi

Sub levels are usually kept at 50% on the sub and levels on AVR are calibrated by Audyssey setup.....

Depending on your budget, decide....you may better off with one sub rather than two subs...all depends on placement and room acoustics...

Remember, dealers have special treated rooms to give customers the wow experience...we need to get to ground reality and see how a sub performs with existing furniture in the room and with the windows open....

I reached out to SVS and also many have suggested to go for dual subs. In fact I did audition with single and dual subs and could feel that dual subs did better and didn't need to work hard.

In my experience, bass response is heavily dependent on the room. Its very possible that you will find the Elac or the SVS working differently in your room.
Also 2 subs work better than one because they can cancel out room modes. 4 is even better. 8 is a recipe for divorce.

Decided to go for dual but was thinking if 10" or 12". With future in mind I decided to go for dual 12".

Hi Everyone

I had a chance to Audition Elac S10 and two SVS PB-1000 .

1. The Elac S10 (Paired with Denon-x2200) was sitting inside a room the size of 16' (L) x 10'(W) x 8' (H)
  2. The two SVS PB-1000 (Paired with Marantz SR-7009) were sitting inside the room the size of 22'(L) x 18'(L) x 10'(H).
I auditioned few music FLAC since I am more interested in music, though I will watch movies.

If your priority is more towards music, then i would say that you may need to consider the Sealed one SB1000 instead of PB1000

Ported one's are more suited for Movies

See the headlines for each type Sub's
Best Sealed Box Subwoofer | Powered Home Theater Subs – SVS

Best Ported Box Subwoofer | Powered Home Theater Subs – SVS

SB 1000s are well suited for small rooms. Some how I feel SVS entry level subs ain't as VFM as far as bass reproduction goes for movies as say a Velodyne or a Polk in sheer SPL. These are my personal opinion so others may differ. For music the SW150 from Wharfedale is still a winner for me over the SVS PB/SB. The SVS ultra series is a different thing altogether , though!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion guys. After doing audition of PB-1000 & PB-2000 in both single and dual I decided I will go for Dual PB-2000.

In Chennai, SVS can be auditioned and purchased from Volumate.

Dear Friends,

I am using dual 12'' JBL subwoofer (1100w) in a single enclosure having inside size 28''x 12''x16''(HxWxD) connected in series. I am playing it with Norge 1000. I am not getting booming sound. I request you all to guide me to get good bass effect from the subwoofer. Is the enclosure size suitable for the dual subwoofer or not.
Thanks in advance

Sanjay Dubey

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back