Subwoofer for 2.1 setup (Yamaha AS500)

Ebenezer

Hello All,

I have recently bought Yamaha AS500 amp and WF 10.2 bookshelf speakers. Though it gives a good detail, Initially i was bit annoyed by the too bright tone (too much of High & high mid). However after tweaking (reducing Treble to 10' O clock position) with loudness adjustments, it sounds decent. However it lacks the low frequency.

So i thought of adding an active sub to it. Yamaha AS 500 has a line out for Sub. (i also use this setup to do home recording. I will switch off the sub while doing recording and use it only while listening to songs). I have read in many reviews that Front-firing sub is suitable for listening to songs and down-firing subs are suitable for HT setup.

Please suggest a suitable sub for my setup. My room is quite small (10X12) and i dont need too big sub or high watts. All i need is a decent tight low frequency which is lacking in my bookshelf spekaer (WF 10.2) while listening to songs.

My budget is low (upto 15K). Under 15k i know the options are limited. Craftel has some active sub(180W, 10") in this price range. Would be great, if you can suggest a suitable sub for my setup.

Thanks

Hi Ebenezer, although I am a little surprised that in a 10 x 12 room with A-S500 you are not getting good bass, however, try and find a Wharefedale SW-150 from the local dealers. It was an excellent budget sub. Might be hard to get your hands on one.

Alternatively, a Polk Audio PSW 110 @15k is good budget sub too (and front firing as desired).

Hi Ebenezer, although I am a little surprised that in a 10 x 12 room with A-S500 you are not getting good bass,.....

It seems Ebenezer is a bass-o-maniac, just like me.:D

For me if there is no chest thumping feel factor, no matter how well the mids & highs are the SQ in my ears are always half-hearted.:p

But then every body have different tastes & liking's, that's why we are called individuals. :)

I have recently bought Yamaha AS500 amp and WF 10.2 bookshelf speakers. Though it gives a good detail..... However it lacks the low frequency.

This is the only reason why I am not buying a pair of good bookshelves. Generally all bookshelves have limitations as a much as bass is considered since there drivers are small.

Better to wait and invest on a pair of decent floorstanders. Downside is price & size and eats space.

Your post deleted as it breaks the rules of not writing in SMS language. Consider this a warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if SW150 will be available for 15K, closer to 20K. And you get to 20K, you are not far from 21K wherein you can get the current budget sub of choice Velodyne Impact 10.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Actually i had selected a wrong impendence(Low) in my AS500 amp. After changing it to 'High' i see a considerable difference, especially on low frequency. I get a good bass with balance mid and high in WF 10.2 speakers. The brighness is reduced to a great extent. Now i don't use the 'Treble' 'Bass' knob at all. I use the pure direct switch with littble bit of tweaking in my PC EQ. It sounds perfect with good bass for my room. I don't need a sub at all till i move to a bigger room.

I will consider the above options when i go to a bigger room where i would surely need a Sub.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Actually i had selected a wrong impendence(Low) in my AS500 amp. After changing it to 'High' i see a considerable difference, especially on low frequency. I get a good bass with balance mid and high in WF 10.2 speakers. The brighness is reduced to a great extent. Now i don't use the 'Treble' 'Bass' knob at all. I use the pure direct switch with littble bit of tweaking in my PC EQ. It sounds perfect with good bass for my room. I don't need a sub at all till i move to a bigger room.

I will consider the above options when i go to a bigger room where i would surely need a Sub.

Thanks again for your help.

Are the AS500 worth its pay, or is it better to go for other amps of the same price range?

After looking for a while I converged on POLK PSW110, ordered it, waiting for it. I am planning to hook it to Pro-ject DebutIII+CA540P/PC+Nuforce muDAC -->Norge 1000 --> WHF 10.2 system in a 12'x12' room. Lets see how it goes.

Arnab

Ok as you have decided on it then my saying will make no difference. Sorry I missed your post earlier. Could have gone for Sonodyne Roarr 108 or 210 (8"/15K & 10"/18K respectively).

Going to buy the Roarr 108 tomorrow. Getting it at 26% discount so the effective price will be 10,400/- :)

@ righiguru: AS500 is very good choice for someone who is looking for a clinical sound. Note that clinical sound is not sweet to ears all the time. I liked it since i also use it for home recording and i needed a clean/natural sound for mixing.

For just listening to music, i believe there are other brands that does a good job.

Back