Subwoofer for apartments

Downstairs will be a problem due to vibration. If sandwiched between floors, carpets are recommended. If in lowest floor, my HT consultant says it won't be a problem at all.

Downstairs will be a problem due to vibration. If sandwiched between floors, carpets are recommended. If in lowest floor, my HT consultant says it won't be a problem at all.
Carpet barely reduces vibration transfer.

And the bed in the floor above my room vibrates when music is played in my room .

Great solution, Dec.
If OP wants to do this and can afford this, this is the best solution.

But, most of us can't/don't listen at those dBs...
And soundproofing + room treatment is prohibitively expensive. Anywhere in India.

It is true most don't listen at these levels but I believe it is more because they lack the equipment to do so and because they are worried about the neighbours. Getting the right equipment solves the capability problem while treating/soundproofing the room solves the other problem. Loud music is a drug.

You are correct that it might get expensive but this is compounded when someone goes to an installer and asks them to do it, if you know what is to be done (or get a consultant) and then get the work done through local contractors it can be cheaper assuming you know where to source the equipment. Many people mistakenly assume they must use branded products made for treatment/proofing, glasswool is still (to my knowledge) the most effective treatment outside of building a room within a room with an air gap.

OP, the key is to turn up the volume and soundproof your room, so that you can never hear your neighbours pounding on your door.

The neighbours have never pounded at my door, perhaps you live in an uncouth neighborhood, where I live my neighbors are polite and well mannered. Besides that they've never had a problem with the sound.

On the flip side it is true that when I listen to music sometimes I can't hear people banging on the door due to the level of the sound, this is very rare however as instructions are in place to my family members and the help to not disturb me when I am listening to music so they only come looking for me when they have some work with me. Previously they would come for any reason and they have been summarily reprimanded for it, they don't disturb me anymore.

Btw what frequency band touches 130db?

I think this would depend on content, music in this case, so depending on the song it can be in various ranges. Based on my frequency response which has been adjusted to have a maximum plateau from about 40Hz-300Hz I believe this is the range which touches 130db (or beyond).

Just like to add in, QB12 is a 12 inch sealed subwoofer, nice punch fast and tight. Won't call your neighbours home, but will let you enjoy it on your own.

Sure it won't dig deep but it is superb for music in that price range.

I have had a sub in my AV setup for 15+ years now, and have always lived in an apartment (like most Indians).
Its never been a problem.

As others have pointed out :
- Dont play at ear splitting volumes
- Construction matters.

Most apartments in India have concrete / brick walls which are prety decent for muffling sound.

The scenario is very different in the west (say US) where apartment walls are very thin and sound travels easily.

I think this would depend on content, music in this case, so depending on the song it can be in various ranges. Based on my frequency response which has been adjusted to have a maximum plateau from about 40Hz-300Hz I believe this is the range which touches 130db (or beyond).
130db at listening position at those frequencies ?
What's your age ?
Either you have hearing loss or your SPL meter is malfunctioning.

The neighbours have never pounded at my door, perhaps you live in an uncouth neighborhood, where I live my neighbors are polite and well mannered. Besides that they've never had a problem with the sound.

On the flip side it is true that when I listen to music sometimes I can't hear people banging on the door due to the level of the sound, this is very rare however as instructions are in place to my family members and the help to not disturb me when I am listening to music so they only come looking for me when they have some work with me. Previously they would come for any reason and they have been summarily reprimanded for it, they don't disturb me anymore.
Read my message again, slower this time. It was addressed to the OP.
Only if YOU move in!
I'm sure THEY are!
I don't know about you guys but I live in a pretty uncouth neighborhood. Have called the cops on every one of them as well as prosecuted a few of them in Court. Never over a noise complaint though :p

130db at listening position at those frequencies ?
What's your age ?
Either you have hearing loss or your SPL meter is malfunctioning.
Oh @Decadent_Spectre
Sorry..
I forgot to mention my destination.
I'm Dr. Prateek Atasniya. ;)

Age isn't irrelevant. I'm sure you know how human hearing works.

And what kind of info you share is pretty irrelevant.. because you haven't yet shared the system you own.

Now I'm thinking that do you really have an audio system or you are measuring the spl of a subwoofer at your nearby pub.

Come on.. share some concrete information from which we can learn. :)

After reading all the comments in this thread I must say I'm very fortunate and blessed to have accommodating and gracious neighbours which include senior citizens. Quite a few of them have actually appreciated music being played at my home.
The only time I've had to call the cops was when I was at the receiving end of eight teenagers pounding, thrashing and screaming etc. i.e. three girls and five guys creating a ruckus in the flat directly above at 2am. Subwoofers, alcohol, hallucinogens etc.

Oh @Decadent_Spectre
Sorry..
I forgot to mention my destination.
I'm Dr. Prateek Atasniya. ;)

Age isn't irrelevant. I'm sure you know how human hearing works.

And what kind of info you share is pretty irrelevant.. because you haven't yet shared the system you own.

Now I'm thinking that do you really have an audio system or you are measuring the spl of a subwoofer at your nearby pub.

Come on.. share some concrete information from which we can learn. :)

Your profession/designation is irrelevant, as is my age, a system measuring 130db will measure so regardless of your profession or my age. This is obvious enough, perhaps you need to understand basic logic? It's designation but of course you don't know that. How could you?

My system was and will remain anonymous, try as you may.

You are free to believe what you will. Do you think I care if some random person on the internet believes I have a system or not? As an aside most "pubs" don't play at 130db.

There is nothing further to share. I play music between about 110db and 130db in a treated and soundproofed room in an apartment and have no problems with the neighbors. That is concrete fact, your lack of belief in them will not change it.

There is nothing further to share. I play music between about 110db and 130db in a treated and soundproofed room in an apartment and have no problems with the neighbors. That is concrete fact, your lack of belief in them will not change it.

Michael Jackson Reaction GIF

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back