Subwoofer for my dedicated HT

the_jaguar

After a long drawn out saga with my JBL 560P (thread here -> https://www.hifivision.com/threads/jbl-560p-plugged-into-220v-socket.70621/), which still hasn't been returned back to me by the service center after handing it to them 6 months ago, I have decided to buy another sub to complete my HT setup.

The HT has been acoustically treated and is setup as a separate room in the basement (20' x 13'). I have a 7.1.4 setup currently (without the sub).
FL, FR - JBL 590
Center - JBL 520C
Sides and Rears - RSL CG3 (https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-bookshelf-speaker/)
In-ceilings - RSL C34E (https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34e-edgeless-in-ceiling-speaker/)
AVR - Denon X4300H
Screen - Silver Ticket 110" (non AT screen)
Projector - BenQ HT2050 (thinking about upgrading to a 4K JVC projector in the near future)

I am looking for a good quality sub to complete my HT setup. I have been considering the SVS SB-2000, but would like to get your opinion on other subs before locking down on it. Given that I recently moved back to Bangalore (moved back to India about a year ago after almost a couple of decades in the US), my awareness of the local HT scene is minimal, so would love to get recommendations on stores to visit and possibly audition a few subs.

In parallel, if any of the experts here based out of Bangalore can take a look at my 560P and help me fix it, I would be very grateful and will ensure that we will have a great time with some scotch and amazing food to go with it :) of course, I have a large collection of 3D movies and a few 4K titles too.

Based on the budget you have decided for the sub, there are man available ranging from SVS, SunFire, BIC America, Taga, Yamaha, REL, Definitive Technology, etc.

You need to audition the same and ensure it provides the same experience or better than your existing sub. (More better and smoother low frequencies).

There are also ample reviews available. If you have a proper dedicate space as the HT room and if the AVR has 2 sub outs....you can look at getting 2 subs and strategically place them (provided you have the space to keep two etc.)

Sad on the service part.. Hope, there is a quicker resolution..

The HT has been acoustically treated and is setup as a separate room in the basement (20' x 13'). I have a 7.1.4 setup currently (without the sub).

Please share some pics if you can.. You have some very good components & have done room treatment too..

I have decided to buy another sub to complete my HT setup.I am looking for a good quality sub to complete my HT setup. I have been considering the SVS SB-2000, but would like to get your opinion on other subs before locking down on it.

SVS are quite expensive in India.. The model you are considering must be around 80K for a single sub here..

my awareness of the local HT scene is minimal,

There are some popular choices aval here.. As suggested in many articles, two (or) more subs do a better job in a room, you may re-consider your choices..

Given it is a dedicated HT room, positioning at-least 2 subs if not 4 should be good to counter room modes..

Last edited:
Based on the budget you have decided for the sub, there are man available ranging from SVS, SunFire, BIC America, Taga, Yamaha, REL, Definitive Technology, etc.

You need to audition the same and ensure it provides the same experience or better than your existing sub. (More better and smoother low frequencies).

There are also ample reviews available. If you have a proper dedicate space as the HT room and if the AVR has 2 sub outs....you can look at getting 2 subs and strategically place them (provided you have the space to keep two etc.)

Thanks for the recommendations - I will be auditioning Rythmik, SVS and BIC soon. I might end up going for a ported sub since movies form a majority of my usage in the HT.

Sad on the service part.. Hope, there is a quicker resolution..

Please share some pics if you can.. You have some very good components & have done room treatment too..

Thanks, I have taken a few pictures - will upload them here soon.

SVS are quite expensive in India.. The model you are considering must be around 80K for a single sub here..

There are some popular choices aval here.. As suggested in many articles, two (or) more subs do a better job in a room, you may re-consider your choices..

Given it is a dedicated HT room, positioning at-least 2 subs if not 4 should be good to counter room modes..

True, SVS or Rythmik will be on the higher side, but I would rather stretch the budget and get a good sub than not. I plan on auditioning a few of them in the next few days before making a decision. Right now, my candidate set are SVS PB2000, Rythmik LV12R, LVX12, F12.

I have considered getting 2 subs for my HT, but I want to start with one, and try to get my 560P fixed and see if these 2 subs match well. If they do, great. If not, I will have to figure out if I need another one.

I have considered getting 2 subs for my HT, but I want to start with one, and try to get my 560P fixed and see if these 2 subs match well. If they do, great. If not, I will have to figure out if I need another one.

Ok.. If you are trying to get the 560P fixed (or) take chances to get it fixed, then consider getting an other 560P with 220V unit here, as dual identical ones are said to be better..

Ok.. If you are trying to get the 560P fixed (or) take chances to get it fixed, then consider getting an other 560P with 220V unit here, as dual identical ones are said to be better..

There are a couple of potential issues with the 560P: response below 20hz and availability of the item since it has been EOL'd.

You have got some good recommendations. Also consider XTZ cinema series. They are quite popular in UK/Europe.

Correct - the sub is rated for 22hz+

Hmm.. Until & unless you put a microphone in the room to measure the sub response, i think it might be hard to judge the lowest the sub can do without looking at specs.. Suggestion towards adding a second 560P subwoofer was to make dual identical ones..

But if you are looking for something that can do lower than 560P, then fine..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back