subwoofer recommendation around 1L max

They are definitely not VFM any longer.

REL only if you're fanatical about blending above all else.

Or if you can find a deal. At the prices i got my RELs for, the Rythmik/SVS/XTZ mentioned above were hugely overpriced relatively (even at their previous prices). 😁

Btw, can anybody explain how 1.66L for the PB2000 Pro and 1.4L for the XTZ 12.17 are VFM (online prices), especially when both subs were selling for around half price a couple of years back?
I didn't know the XTZ's price too has been jacked up this much!
Thought it was in the 85K range...

Bangalore price for XTZ 12.17 Edge was about 95-100k in 2021. Was VFM then , I sold mine @65-70K each as I was trying out sub for music and had gotten a KEF R400B which again is a killer sub for stereo. Then was again looking for a sub for movies after getting FS which dig deep, got a good deal for Rhythmik L12R , now I doubt I will go any other route if and when I decide on a sub upgrade.

hi FM's

suggest a subwoofer for my home theatre.

my considerations

1, REL acoustics HT/1205
2, Rythmik L12
3, XTZ 12.17
Why not look at JL Audio offerings? i never owned their subs but heard a lot of good things about them..

Z
Why not look at JL Audio offerings? i never owned their subs but heard a lot of good things about them..
100% agree! I heard a JL Audio sub (E110) not too long ago and the drive that the thing had made me have instant regret about my dual REL T9i's. There's something really special about a JL.

Intangibles aside, we did some Umik-1/REW tests and the darn thing was digging down to 14hz at -3db. And the flattest bass curve I've ever seen without any room treatment whatsoever (flat line from 60 to 14hz). Perhaps magic room dimensions. Nevertheless, the start stop characteristic was standout. Even my Rythmik E15 HP2 doesn't have that oomph. Mind you, we're talking about a sealed 10 inch sub in the E110.

Z

100% agree! I heard a JL Audio sub (E110) not too long ago and the drive that the thing had made me have instant regret about my dual REL T9i's. There's something really special about a JL.

Intangibles aside, we did some Umik-1/REW tests and the darn thing was digging down to 14hz at -3db. And the flattest bass curve I've ever seen without any room treatment whatsoever (flat line from 60 to 14hz). Perhaps magic room dimensions. Nevertheless, the start stop characteristic was standout. Even my Rythmik E15 HP2 doesn't have that oomph. Mind you, we're talking about a sealed 10 inch sub in the E110.
How much does it cost? And you selling more audio gear? 😝

Even my Rythmik E15 HP2 doesn't have that oomph. Mind you, we're talking about a sealed 10 inch sub in the E110.
Is your analysis based on the same room and set up? Have JL audio in mind. E15 Mrp is 2.17L plus 3.5k shipping and the E112 has a Mrp of 2.35L. So the 12 inch itself is 15k more then a rythmik 15 inch sub

Last edited:

MRP for 12.17 was 93k and I managed to get it @ 78k in February. That was one of the last in the country from the previous lot. They have increased their price in the very next lot. Now the price is 91k post discount. And the more advanced 12.17 Edge is priced around 140k.

Another option is Spirit from XTZ itself. Costs around 75k.

Jl subwoofers are very impressive . Once i Heard jl fanthom . They are beast. Can't even compare anything closer . But other FM's said like 1.4 l starting and that also 8inch driver .

What i understand from these 3 subwoofer.

Xtz 12.17 - the sounds boomy and little boxy

Rythmic L12 - play deeper , play easily below 20hz at the price level they are very good

REL 1205 - they don't play deeper like rythmic but they are very accurate, speedy performance so they are good for music and movies

What i understand from these 3 subwoofer.

Xtz 12.17 - the sounds boomy and little boxy

Rythmic L12 - play deeper , play easily below 20hz at the price level they are very good

REL 1205 - they don't play deeper like rythmic but they are very accurate, speedy performance so they are good for music and movies
Are these results based on your listening or internet reading. 12.17 properly calibrated and positioned doesn’t sound boomy at all. Rythmik is also very accurate and fast and infact both L12 and 1205 should have the same sound quality with the 1205 having additional 200 watts

Do add the KEF KC62 to your audition list. I think all KEF dealers would stock these.
If your listening room is not huge, it will do fine. I am very satisfied with mine.
I have used older RELs, a Martin Logan Dynamo previously. It may not match the older RELs’ musicality (by a small bit) but it goes very low, it’s fast, tight, integrates nicely and is easy to place. It’s also tiny by subwoofer standards.
I don’t have any experience with HT set up, but given how fast and responsive this sub is I think it will do well

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back